Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Playstation Chat

Playstation Chat Please use this forum to discuss Playstation related topics.

Old 20th January 2009, 13:18   #1
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member
Question Slow connection on PS3

Set-up my gf's brothers wireless router and PS3 at weekend. PC internet connection is at normal speed but PS3 is extreamly slow. Takes about 15mins just to download a 3mb update for a game!!

Its a netgear router, run speed test on pc and all seems fine. Anyone had issues with this before? Anything i can / change on the router / ps3?

Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 13:22   #2
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=200913

could be similar to me and but im using a dlink router. Fecking gash PS3.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:20   #3
Tony
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Tony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud of

My wireless was fine but did I did change and stick an ethernet cable in my PS3 just to make sure.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:00   #4
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

The Speeds of a wireless connection will never EVER match the speed of wired.
The End.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 10:23   #5
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

i know wireless isnt as quick as an ethernet connection but this is painfully slow. I have ps3 at home used it wireless and wired enough times, both much quicker than gfs brothers. Their connection is 2MB from virgin, even on this speed it shouldnt take 45mins to download a ps3 update which is only about 30mb!!! He has played Little Big planet online ok but updates and download are very slow indeed.

Never had any problems myself
Old 21st January 2009, 13:24   #6
Tony
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Tony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud of

Virgin 2mb *shudders*

We had ntl at uni (before it became Virgin) and it was shocking. I'd do a internet speed check to see what he is actually getting on the pc.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 14:36   #7
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylVTR View Post
Set-up my gf's brothers wireless router and PS3 at weekend. PC internet connection is at normal speed but PS3 is extreamly slow. Takes about 15mins just to download a 3mb update for a game!!
Its a netgear router, run speed test on pc and all seems fine. Anyone had issues with this before? Anything i can / change on the router / ps3?

Thanks
Wowww! That is SLLLLOOOOOWWW!
I updated something on PS-Home lastnight (46Mb) and it took about 7 minutes..Check your Connection Speed..Im no expert but there must be something you can change to speed it up
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 20:34   #8
blythy
Infrequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.1 SX
blythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to beholdblythy is a splendid one to behold

whats it like when you browse the web? do pages load up normal speed or are they slow as well? if the web pages load up fine its probably the server you're downloadin the update from thats slow. it took me a while to download the skate demo a couple of days ago, but the web and online games has worked fine
blythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 20:37   #9
Graemep
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): FN2 Civic Type-R
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!

its going to be something with his router over the ps3 tbh
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 21:36   #10
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

PS3 wireless is absolutely shocking. Get it wired ASAP!
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:51   #11
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

Never had problems with ps3 wireless at home or anywhere else before. Pages rather slow to load aswell as updates.

Can't be that the 'ps3' is shit or virgin broadband as ive been with them for years at home and its really quite fast, even the 2mb. 2mb should be sufficiant for 1 desktop (hardwired) and a wireless ps3
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:32   #12
Graemep
Saxperience Addict

Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!

I'm trying to update now and it's pish slow, did my mates at his for him and it took 2 mins

Somthings defo wrong
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:31   #13
RS_Matt
Established Member

Car(s): Scooby.
RS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to behold

Graeme wire are useless
RS_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 00:41   #14
Graemep
Saxperience Addict

Still not done update as it kept crashing so fooked it off

Going sort router out tommorow as not happy
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:57   #15
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

let me know if a different router sorts it out mate!
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:03   #16
lemon191
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Fiesta zetec mk7.5
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
lemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of light

mine goes slow sometimes and for some reason when i play cod4 online at teh end of the game i ll be disconnected from the server and have to rejoin again doesnt happen everytime but quite alot. it happens somtimes on other games on my PC so would swithcing to wired connections sort teh problem or is the internet in my town just crap lol
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:04   #17
Shane213
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): MK1 Citroen Saxo 1.1i
Shane213 is on a distinguished road

Wireless internet can be effected by interferance from off devices and sharing a internet connection between multiple devices using wireless will decrease speed for every wireless device connected to the router. I would suggest trying to use ethenet cables and try to keep them away from power cables or over internet cables.

Updgrading your itnernet speed may also help your connection. Would also like to say that virgin-media also throttle your internet conenction (lower your speed) depending on how much data you have transfered (inbound and outbound). I am on the 10mb connection and if i transfer around 1.3gb of data they will throttle my connection to 2mb for about 4 hours. The 2mb connection will be throttled to around 1mb or less.
Shane213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 12:25   #18
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

thanks for help so far. I still cant see it being because its wireless or slow connection speed, i think its more a router issue or ps3 setting.

Ethernet cable is not possible to test due to setup of the room. Router is only like 5m away from the ps3
Old 27th January 2009, 11:28   #19
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

i have changed the channel to 11 and WPA key instead of WEP. Seems quite a bit better, also wii now picks up the wireless where as it didnt before. I will see how it goes and report back.

Its a netgear router by the way