Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 23rd December 2011, 13:50   #1
rick_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region MemberNorth Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Corsa Rally Car & Fiesta ST
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
rick_VTR is on a distinguished road
Default GUIDE: How to fit TRS Tow Strap.

I fitted my TRS Strap the other day and thought i would make a guide after seeing people talk about cable ties and glue .

I know alot of people fit one for looks, but why have something you cant use? it takes very little time to fit it correctly.

The equipment i used to fit it were:

Cordless drill with 7mm drill bit.
Large file (for plastic, wood or metal file is fine)
1 X Flat seated wheel bolt and washer(s)
1 X wheel brace.
Tow Strap.
About 10 minutes of your time.

Firstly open the bonnet and pop the circular disk out with your fingers from behind on the bumper.

Roughly central to the hole, using the cordless drill and 7mm drill bit, drill two holes either side (left/right) of the hole in the bumper.

Then using your file (i had a massive bastard file but any size will do) file out to the holes making nice square recess's in the plastic. Like so:

I didnt waste much time getting it nice and neat, is its going to be abused on the track when the weather gets better anyway. so for those of you that want it for show you will probably want to take more time on this.

NOTE: Failure to enlarge the hole for the strap to fit will cause your bumper to be ripped of during towing

Next, take your wheel bolt, in the pictures i used a tappered bolt, but i strongly advise you to use a flat seated bolt for obvious reasons. (mine now has a flat seated bolt) place it through the tow strap using washers if you so please.

Then, using your wheel brace, tighten the bolt right up.

Once done, simply pull the strap through the hole and there you have it

You can use any M12 bolt for this, but i would recomend i high tensile bolt, not the cheap ones you get from B&Q or local DIY store, proper high quality engineering stuff, or as i used, a wheel bolt.

it takes 10 mins max and is so much safer than cheap bolts/cable ties for show.

Please note, that i only used a tappered bolt for the pics, i now have a flat seated bolt in there and is not going to budge.

Hope this helps a few special people on here.

Rate/Slate.

ricky.
rick_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rick_VTR For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:41   #2
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

If I wanted to fit one of these to the rear would I havto chop the tow hook off? it's gonna be more for looks really but would like to fit it properly as the only reason I want one is because my tow hook has gone rusty so its either repaint the tow hook or get a tow strap.
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:01   #3
Xplodee
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Xplodee is on a distinguished road

Great guide mate. I will be trying this out soon on my VTS.
Xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:03   #4
DanTvts
Established Member

Car(s): Mauritius Vts, 206 Gti 180
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
DanTvts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
If I wanted to fit one of these to the rear would I havto chop the tow hook off? it's gonna be more for looks really but would like to fit it properly as the only reason I want one is because my tow hook has gone rusty so its either repaint the tow hook or get a tow strap.
Your rear tow hook is welded to the chassis, so if you were to cut it off, you would have to find another way of attaching the tow strap securely...A lot easier to repaint the standard one deffo
DanTvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:12   #5
ed-bradley
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): GS300, MK1 VTS, Katy M 1190
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
ed-bradley is on a distinguished road

I found my towing eye/hook, wasn't in the right place when I put my VT bumper over anyway, I used an Existing hole irrc in the slam panel/chassis with spreader plates either side to spread the load out.
ed-bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 14:03   #6
saxovtrjar
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR phase 1 (sold), Saxo VTR phase 2
saxovtrjar is on a distinguished road

spot on guide.
saxovtrjar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saxovtrjar For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2016, 23:55   #7
Saxobuild

Saxobuild is on a distinguished road

I can't fit any M12 bolt in it. It seems like it is too big.. but the M10 is definitely small for the hole. What special kind of bolt should I use?
Saxobuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 00:12   #8
BSA
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR
BSA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxobuild View Post
I can't fit any M12 bolt in it. It seems like it is too big.. but the M10 is definitely small for the hole. What special kind of bolt should I use?
Wrong thread pitch then. I couldn't get a wheel bolt in but my towing eye fit perfect, went up the shed and found a bolt the same thread size/pitch and it went in a treat.

Guide's well written and explains it easily enough. Going to be hacking my rear towing eye off when I wake up and bolting my rear tow strap where my towbar was mounted up(Because I know it's solid).
BSA is offline   Reply With Quote