Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 3rd October 2007, 17:00   #1
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 197 cup
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!
Default omex ecu

hi is there an adaptor loom avalible to get omex to fit to a 3plug vts ecu? or does it need to be hardwired in?
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:21   #2
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

No adapter I'm afraid mate. Big wiring job required, not for the faint hearted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:06   #3
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
No adapter I'm afraid mate. Big wiring job required, not for the faint hearted.
would omex do this?

as by the looks of things on there website im only about 30mins from them
Old 4th October 2007, 09:30   #4
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

You can ask... I doubt they do anything like it though.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 09:34   #5
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

how much would i be looking at for an omex 600 unit?

how would this compare to kms?
Old 4th October 2007, 09:40   #6
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

GMC would be able to do a wiring loom for you, cost unknown though. No doubt lots of garages could do it for you or if you have the wiring diagrams for the engines and the ECU you could match them up. Fiddly and long winded though

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:45   #7
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
GMC would be able to do a wiring loom for you, cost unknown though. No doubt lots of garages could do it for you or if you have the wiring diagrams for the engines and the ECU you could match them up. Fiddly and long winded though
yeh gmc quoted me £600+vat to adapt kms to fit a 3plug loom so expect it would be about the same for the omex
Old 4th October 2007, 10:36   #8
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

That's a shocking amount of money to be fair!

I don't know much about the ECUs, but from what I can gather, the Omex 600 is a better piece of kit than the KMS. However, the KMS has the addition (at extra cost) of the wideband display, which allows 3pluggers like you and me to have our oil and coolant temperatures displayed upon. Apparently, you lose these displays when fitting the KMS / Omex on their own.

Can anyone else comment on this please?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 10:42   #9
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
That's a shocking amount of money to be fair!

I don't know much about the ECUs, but from what I can gather, the Omex 600 is a better piece of kit than the KMS. However, the KMS has the addition (at extra cost) of the wideband display, which allows 3pluggers like you and me to have our oil and coolant temperatures displayed upon. Apparently, you lose these displays when fitting the KMS / Omex on their own.

Can anyone else comment on this please?
yeh thats what i thort it boosts the cost to around £2k to supply adapt fit and map

so when fitting the standalone units the dash dials wont work? bit shit isnt it but i spose the wideband on the kms would make up for it

oh i wish i had a single plug, how much effort would it be to put a single plug loom in?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:48   #10
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Not all the dash gives up the ghost! Basically, for every sensor, there's a cable that needs to go into the ECU. For reasons unknown to me, you can't get those particular ones into the KMS / Omex. I have NO idea why this is...

In light of this, GMC designed an adaptor for the single plug ECU, which basically allows the 2 ECUs (Stock and KMS) to work in tandom. The KMS does all the work, and the stock ECU remains, purely to display the temperatures!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 10:50   #11
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

3plugs suck, u still going for standalone toad mate?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:59   #12
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Yes. I want to try an understand as much about this stuff as possible first though. I don't want to have this display thing (an extra £300) if it's not really a requirement. I don't want the stock ECU left in anyway, so that's not something I'm looking into.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 11:03   #13
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Yes. I want to try an understand as much about this stuff as possible first though. I don't want to have this display thing (an extra £300) if it's not really a requirement. I don't want the stock ECU left in anyway, so that's not something I'm looking into.
yeh same here im trying to understand as much as i can, and by the sounds of things standalone on a 3plug means alot of cash, if i go for standalone i may aswell go bodies aswell!
Think im just gunna get a remap at chipwizards, how pleased where you with the results from wayne?
Old 4th October 2007, 11:14   #14
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

They were OK, but now that I have some knowledge about it, I wouldn't recommend it. 3 plug ECUs are a nightmare at the best of times, and changing them about a fair bit is not a good thing.

They try their best to alter the map, and I'm aware of this, because I notice my car running / performing differently time to time. Sometimes it can get quite flat, and other times it will go like shit off a shovel.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 11:20   #15
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
They were OK, but now that I have some knowledge about it, I wouldn't recommend it. 3 plug ECUs are a nightmare at the best of times, and changing them about a fair bit is not a good thing.

They try their best to alter the map, and I'm aware of this, because I notice my car running / performing differently time to time. Sometimes it can get quite flat, and other times it will go like shit off a shovel.
yeh i see what your saying, but could this not be to the fact uve changed your head since having the map?
Old 4th October 2007, 11:38   #16
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

No, that's a different kettle of fish.

I had a long chat with John from GMC a few weeks back. He explained a lot of stuff to me about the ECU situation. There's no way around it with the stock ECU, no matter how well it's mapped, it will always try to make alterations.

I would shop around, see if you can find anywhere that have experience with installation of standalone ECUs. ...And then let me know!

You can pay the £500 odd to get Wayne to map your stock ECU, but it's a quick fix IMO, and not the best way to go.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 11:46   #17
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
I would shop around, see if you can find anywhere that have experience with installation of standalone ECUs. ...And then let me know!
thats the problem its hard to find places that will do it and that you can trust to do it properly
Old 4th October 2007, 12:10   #18
pdd144c
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTS, 205 TT, 306 Rallye race car
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
pdd144c has a spectacular aura aboutpdd144c has a spectacular aura aboutpdd144c has a spectacular aura about

I have done numerous conversion like yours, can't think of anyone near you who does them though! It's a bit of a bodge using the standard ECU still too!
pdd144c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 12:30   #19
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Can you explain the loss of the oil and coolant temperature gauges?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 4th October 2007, 12:33   #20
pdd144c
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTS, 205 TT, 306 Rallye race car
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
pdd144c has a spectacular aura aboutpdd144c has a spectacular aura aboutpdd144c has a spectacular aura about

Normally just people being lazy and not giving them the correct feed. As long as you have a wiring diagram it's not too hard to work out. Without one it's a pain!
pdd144c is offline   Reply With Quote