Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 22nd July 2008, 14:23   #41
alextoffie
Established Member

Car(s): Mauritius blue VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!alextoffie is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankc08 View Post
may be shit but it does work. if you want extra bhp. i know over fuelling isn't great for the car but as i said in and out whenever you want
it will completely ruin your car

worst idea so far in this thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:30   #42
Elliot17
L-plater
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 106 WITH VTR engine! so kinda saxo :D
Elliot17 has a spectacular aura aboutElliot17 has a spectacular aura aboutElliot17 has a spectacular aura about

yea those chips are cheap for a reason... they dont work!
saw a 106 gti **** up its bottom end cos of one of those chips, what a waste! all to spend more money on fuel without more speed!
Elliot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:38   #43
seankc08
L-plater

seankc08 will become famous soon enough

so i shouldnt trust my step dad then.. thanks lads glad u told me that. i've got one at home ready to put on but wont bother now. really appreciate that. thankyou very much.
seankc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:59   #44
Elliot17
L-plater

Elliot17 has a spectacular aura aboutElliot17 has a spectacular aura aboutElliot17 has a spectacular aura about

no worries! you're lucky you mentioned it!
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:10   #45
chris205
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): 2 clio 182's and Icelandic Vtr
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
chris205 is a jewel in the roughchris205 is a jewel in the roughchris205 is a jewel in the rough

a bhp and torque figure is really just a number, its how it puts it down on the road that counts, transmission losses etc

Your better off starting with basics, enclosed filter, exhaust, de-cat, manifold (if 90bhp version) then move on to changing the cam and map it, should be looking at around 120ish then at a guess
chris205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:24   #46
Elliot17
L-plater

thinking about it I put my 1.4 clutch and flywheel on my 1.6 engine, and the flywheel is noticably lighter so that was a little bonus!
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:47   #47
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextoffie View Post
it will completely ruin your car

worst idea so far in this thread
not technically 100% true.

Williamsvts iirc overfueled his car was fine, also had it mapped to run slightly more rich.
other wise why would gmc make fuel pressure regulators

Too much over fueling of course i agree, but slightly no.
Unless what i have said is bollocks and i miss read something somewhere then fine, i take it back.

tbh for the amount of extra fuel burnt dont think you would see any difference.

IMO

piper 4-1 manifold
Decent induction kit with a decent cold air feed.
well serviced engine.
Decent exhaust system, the supersprints seems to be the choice atm but if you have a 98bhp car anyway you will decat it with the manifold, although richie2104vtr did rate his janspeed 4-1 sports cat manifold more than his piper 4-1 which decatted it.
Quickshift will shave a tiny bit of time off also.

Also stripping the car is good, richies car once again, it doesnt beat vts's but you dont leave him as much as you think you would

Shauny, leeroy, joesnow, myself and other VTS that have been to NE meets am sure can confirm that.
But he did make 97.9bhp on a rolling road hahaha so not even standard bhp lmao.
God knows what its running atm but he dicks on all the other VTR's round here tbf

Think banger_vtr made 108bhp on the same rollers richie used, but richie beats him hands down all the time

Also its not about figures its how the car drives ^ as more or less stated above.

Sticking your 1.4 flywheel on? not sure if thats possible? not something i would personally do.
If i was going to get a lightened flywheel (which i am) i would take it to qep.
If you search i made a thread about it a while back.

Also to shave some time off get a shorter ratio box, once again this has been covered many a time.
Personally for a vtr i would stick with the VTR box, but you can stick a VTS on, S2 rallye box although hardly any difference to a VTS box, shorter ratio again a 1.4xsi box then hardcore or go home an s1 rallye box

Last edited by Steve; 22nd July 2008 at 17:57.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:57   #48
Berg
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): MK2 VTS, Ibiza Cupra 20VT
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!Berg is as cool as a cucumber!

supersprint 4-2-1
supersprint race system
and a bmc cda

these gave me just under 107bhp and that was about £550 worth of stuff
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:01   #49
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

one thing i forgot to say....

Its not all about straight lines.
As well as going fast you need good brakes

I would rather invest in decent brakes and suspension way before i spent money trying to go faster in a straight.

Its all about the corners tbh, anyone can drive fast in a straight line imo
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:10   #50
Elliot17
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_VTS View Post
one thing i forgot to say....

Its not all about straight lines.
As well as going fast you need good brakes

I would rather invest in decent brakes and suspension way before i spent money trying to go faster in a straight.

Its all about the corners tbh, anyone can drive fast in a straight line imo
i agree totally thats why im getting a 306 gti-6 setup at the front, and maybe a disc conversion to the back. As for all the power talk, well me and my dad are both mechanics, and we made sure the flywheel and clutch were exactly the same before we put them on, its just some pointless metal added onto the 1.6 that makes it heavier. Im also on a 1.4 gearbox so acceleration isnt bad. repped for your comment btw, good detailed answer!!
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:18   #51
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot17 View Post
i agree totally thats why im getting a 306 gti-6 setup at the front, and maybe a disc conversion to the back. As for all the power talk, well me and my dad are both mechanics, and we made sure the flywheel and clutch were exactly the same before we put them on, its just some pointless metal added onto the 1.6 that makes it heavier. Im also on a 1.4 gearbox so acceleration isnt bad. repped for your comment btw, good detailed answer!!

cheers mate, i dont know about the flywheels tbh
i was looking to get mine lightend, you tried a 1.4 fly on a VTR?

as for the gearbox make sure you dont stick a furio/westcoast 1.4 box on as they are different to teh 1.4xsi boxes from the 106's
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:15   #52
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

110bhp can be had out of the early black top MPI 1360cc with ease. So getting 110bhp out of a early VTR would be a doodle. People get well over 120bhp out of VTRs racing in "standard" race classes. These even rain standard cast iron exhaust manifold. TU engine fly wheels are not exactly heavy to start with so you don’t get a great deal from lightening them. But saying that it wont do any harm shedding a small bit form a 1.6 one or even fitting a 1.4 one and just getting it modified to take the 200mm clutch. Though there are many things you are better off spending your cash on. Also dont go mod with lightening as these fly wheels do go pop, this is more so if you have a high revving race engine though. My old 1360cc was basically running a stock iron fly wheel but adapted to take a lug drive clutch. That engine would fly off the top of a 9,000rpm stack rev counter in the heat of battle. It span up beautifully and there was no delay when changing gear even with a quick shift close ratio race box. Just trying to show you don’t have to try shed tones of weight.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:41   #53
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Lets not get resistor chips confused with the FPR. They both are very different things. Upping the fuel pressure actually allows your injectors to flow more a resistor does not. Also don’t forget that simply adding fuel will not give you more power. Then lets nor forget that the Saxo actually has a not to bad lambda correction system.
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:47   #54
vtrlad
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR 98bhp (MK2)
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
vtrlad is on a distinguished road

So for me to gain 10bhp I'm looking at spending £500?

Surely i'm better off with a VTS then?
vtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:50   #55
vtrlad
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrlad View Post
So for me to gain 10bhp I'm looking at spending £500?

Surely i'm better off with a VTS then?
£500 on a VTS would take me to what? 140bhp?

That sounds cool
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:53   #56
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

VTS is only 120bhp and are not as strait forward fit as it may sound.
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:59   #57
vtrlad
Infrequent Poster

I won't be engine swapping. I'd just sell my VTR and get a VTS.

Insurance is only £700 fully comp a year on a VTS so all i'd have to do is sell mine and find a decent one.

The VTS responds to breathing mods a lot more than the VTR, right?

Old 22nd July 2008, 20:03   #58
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

more because it has more power standard
bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:10   #59
vtrlad
Infrequent Poster

Yeah but what are the differences in the block? Apart from the head?
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:23   #60
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

Have you thought about a turbo? A few thousand on a basic turbo kit on your VTR and you will be getting a lot more power than even what most tuned VTS’s have. Also with a boosted saxo its a lot easier to get more power down the line if you wish to spend any more.