Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 1st February 2011, 21:19   #121
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
i notice you didn,t tell him the cheapest place to buy one --LOL,
I thought that'd be obvious, the cheapest place to buy one is eBay or keep an eye out on the saxo/106 forums for one bought as part of a group buy and not fitted.

I recently saw a Quaife'd vts box sell on eBay for £380, bargain!
Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:26   #122
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post
You'll notice the saxo is a fluke in that list...the are mainly all subaru's and there's also another oddball-the cortina. I love saxo's i really do but they aren't quite a GT3 RS so just enjoy them for what they are!
I do enjoy my 106 it's a weapon for punishing Subarus and Supras with
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:25   #123
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDagley View Post
I do enjoy my 106 it's a weapon for punishing Subarus and Supras with
Everyone loves an underdog but to be fair if i'd have spent the money i have on the saxo on say a subaru (with the right mods and the right planning!) it would be raaaapido! lol

Never getting rid of my sax
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:39   #124
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
I thought that'd be obvious, the cheapest place to buy one is eBay or keep an eye out on the saxo/106 forums for one bought as part of a group buy and not fitted.

I suppose I should have expected such a reply from you -
but when they cannot find a s/h unit --or want one now --you know no -one will beat my prices for new parts with a warranty
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:36   #125
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but when they cannot find a s/h unit --or want one now --you know no -one will beat my prices for new parts with a warranty
Three company plugs in someone elses thread already John? Take it steady now or we'll have to rename this thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:42   #126
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

lol it worked i want his bodies! Well after a cage and wideband of course!
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:57   #127
Dave_P
Established Member

Quote:
Indeed, a straight answer on how saxo/106 owners can get the most for there hard earned money.

Can we get back on topic now?
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:10   #128
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDagley View Post
Three company plugs in someone elses thread already John? Take it steady now or we'll have to rename this thread
i get on asked these sort of questions all the time in posts ,when they could lookat the webiste and find the info , so just trying to be proactive rather than reactive ,and i have paid to be an affiliate -unlikealotof people doing simlar posts on here.
but yes point taken
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:15   #129
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Everyone loves an underdog but to be fair if i'd have spent the money i have on the saxo on say a subaru (with the right mods and the right planning!) it would be raaaapido! lol

Never getting rid of my sax
yes it might be quick ,but you would be doing 12 mpg or less when hammered ,and maybe you mift see 30 if your very lucky on a run+ tyres ever other week --running costs of scobbies+ evo,s are very big ,even when just chugging about.
i,m sure you have friends who bought a scoobie or an old evo and ripped up the tarmac for the first two weeks and then just crept about the town or sat in the car park and posed in them -just due to running costs,
you think a tuned saxo is expensive --jsut ask the soobie or evo boys about costs
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:39   #130
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

This is true. I would like a 200bhp/tonne saxo really as the new focus rs only has 203 bhp tonne i believe? Should be quite easy too as 160bhp and 800kg of weight = 200bhp/tonne

That could be a good thing to aim for for a fun fast road car.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:32   #131
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

in the theory of 'power to weight', my saxo would rinse a 430bhp r32 GTR skyline. In reality, it won't. The skyline would wipe the floor with me.

Some of you guys need to get it into your heads that a saxo/106 won't beat big powered cars just because you don't weigh as much.

A good friend of mine has a 420bhp evo 6, on power to weight and transmission loss again I should be quicker but i'm not.

To add to this, as said previous about '600bhp supras' they are built to take such power, the standard transmission is hench, the 2JZ engine is hench, the driving experience is fantastic and running a supra with such power will be so much more reliable than running a french bag of poo around the roads (to add to it you don't get laughed at by everybody on the roads like you do in a chavvy french hatch) You won't have issues with snapping clutch cables, bending clutch arms, splitting gearbox cases and blowing diffs and you won't have to have group n or even harder engine mounts so you can hear yourself think in it. On top of all this, a car with half the power and half the weight still wouldn't be quicker than it. It may keep with it to a certain point but that will be it.

hardcorejoeboy - make your saxo 160bhp, strip it to 800kg, then go and race a mk2 focus rs. You won't win.

In short what i'm trying to say is, yes you may make a little french hatch quicker or as quick as a standard sports car but you will never make it a better car.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:31   #132
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
in the theory of 'power to weight', my saxo would rinse a 430bhp r32 GTR skyline. In reality, it won't. The skyline would wipe the floor with me.

Some of you guys need to get it into your heads that a saxo/106 won't beat big powered cars just because you don't weigh as much.

A good friend of mine has a 420bhp evo 6, on power to weight and transmission loss again I should be quicker but i'm not.

To add to this, as said previous about '600bhp supras' they are built to take such power, the standard transmission is hench, the 2JZ engine is hench, the driving experience is fantastic and running a supra with such power will be so much more reliable than running a french bag of poo around the roads (to add to it you don't get laughed at by everybody on the roads like you do in a chavvy french hatch) You won't have issues with snapping clutch cables, bending clutch arms, splitting gearbox cases and blowing diffs and you won't have to have group n or even harder engine mounts so you can hear yourself think in it. On top of all this, a car with half the power and half the weight still wouldn't be quicker than it. It may keep with it to a certain point but that will be it.

hardcorejoeboy - make your saxo 160bhp, strip it to 800kg, then go and race a mk2 focus rs. You won't win.

In short what i'm trying to say is, yes you may make a little french hatch quicker or as quick as a standard sports car but you will never make it a better car.
I'm basing my race car on lightweight rather than power to weight. A small engine does not punch through the air as easily so an engine with more power will have a higher top speed, but a lightweight car corners, accelerates (up to a point) and brakes faster. I'll be against BMW M3's with 350bhp with under 200bhp but its the time over a whole lap that really matters. I estimate that theres three tracks in the uk where I might have a disadvantage.

Kev
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:50   #133
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input so far guys, this thread has got more attention than I was expecting! lol There's seem to be a lot of discussion going on!

Quote:
If your not aiming for silly amounts of power just go 4-2-1, exhaust, throttle bodies.
Then sort your brakes and suspension. A good driver in a standard vts should be able 'to go well'
That's exactly the sort of set up I had in mind mate

Quote:
for pretty much the same cost of throttle bodies you can get a low boost set up and see more power and a hell of a lot more torque.

with low boost, strain on the transmission isn't too large and as a road car is far better.

itb's are great for track but not so great for road imo.
Thanks for that. How much would I be looking at for a low boost set up? I don't know much about throttle bodies and boost set ups so one of the reasons why I'm looking for a project is to learn a bit more and I will need a hand doing most of the stuff!

What would I need for a low boost set up?

Thanks for your help mate

Quote:
You can do tb's on the cheap...

Predator ecu around £500
GSXR1000 Bodies
Sandy Inlet and you are good to go no?
Yeah, a friend of mine on here had the same sort of set up as that (furio-james) cost him about 1.3k but he kept standard cams. If I went for bodies I'd definitely want ph3's or 708 cams.

Quote:
see our latest offer.
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=359877,
add a pred to that and it would be a perfect everyday car
Looks like a very good set up mate. I'm looking to do it in the future though, I'm collecting a white VTR on saturday which will be my main project. I've got a rebuilt vts engine to go in it and once the conversion is done I'll start thinking of the bodies or boost set up I want and give you a shout to see what you've got

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySAXO View Post
Who wants to be straight line hero anyway? Seriously boring 1/4 mile rubbish, I enjoy watch a car handle well watch it all work as one, instead of a car just going in a straight line!!
Good point mate. I enjoy a car that handles well and goes well too, straight line isn't really my thing but as someone pointed out a lot of other people prefer going fast in a straight line, it's up to your preference really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post

That does sound like a right bargain for a Quaife'd vts box if it was in good working order!

Quote:
Will get in touch with you for parts in the future mate
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:11   #134
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...t=IMG_0222.mp4

Thats Jpsaxo's saxo beating an rs on the nurburgring on his first visit. Don't think he even had 200bhp/tonne to do that.

I'd annihilate one of them 1550kg of lard if i had 160bhp
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:41   #135
maddison_vts
Established Member

and look how much the focus was on the brakes. He wasn't exactly giving it everything it had got was he?

here's a video of my saxo 3 years ago when it was 136bhp beating a 330bhp r33 gtst skyline. Does it mean my saxo was quicker? no. I raced it twice and beat it twice but I still knew then as I do now that my car wasn't quicker than his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUss-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE0fsteZnbs

and one against an audi s4 4.0 v8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8zMW1babI

Last edited by maddison_vts; 2nd February 2011 at 14:43.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:49   #136
maddison_vts
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosVT View Post
What would I need for a low boost set up?
You could do it on the cheap for sub £1000 if you were prepared to do a lot of work yourself bud
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:56   #137
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You could do it on the cheap for sub £1000 if you were prepared to do a lot of work yourself bud
That sounds good mate. You're changing my mind.. might look in to boost instead of bodies! I'd need a hand from someone who knows what they are doing because I've never done anything like that before. What sort of power would I be looking to get from a low boost?

What parts would I need? Which turbo would be best?

Thanks again for your help bud.
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:07   #138
maddison_vts
Established Member

no problem, your limiting factor is really how much you want to spend. a mappable ecu is the best route but also the most expensive one, I beleive the predator is around the £500 mark mapped which is mega cheap for a fully mappable ecu. You want a small turbo for low boost ideally ie GT17.

there are loads of guides on here to turbo a saxo and i've seen a couple recently for doing it on the cheap, have a look about on some of the other threads bud and you'll find loads of info like i said though, budget how much you want to spend and take into account how much work you are willing/capable of doing yourself and then go from there
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:27   #139
Dave_P
Established Member

Turbo FTW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_P For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:48   #140
martyno
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI
martyno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and look how much the focus was on the brakes. He wasn't exactly giving it everything it had got was he?

here's a video of my saxo 3 years ago when it was 136bhp beating a 330bhp r33 gtst skyline. Does it mean my saxo was quicker? no. I raced it twice and beat it twice but I still knew then as I do now that my car wasn't quicker than his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUss-...eature=related
You have just proved that off the line a 136 hp saxo is faster than a skline with 200hp more lol

I know what ross is saying sounds farfetched but i don't think he is too far wrong. You only have to look at colin's 106 turbo on youtube raping everything on track. not just on the straights but raping everything in the corners.

Another thing, my mate has a skyline and 500 miles of granny driving and its time for new tires already haha

Also i would imagine the 106 being more fun (unless your into drifting). My 130hp 106 is FAR FAR more fun than say my mated 260hp astra vxr.
Im not saying a saxo would be a better car blah blah just stating some facts. I would rather be in a saxo that has only just lost a race to a 500hp supra than be in the supra thinking...........shit i nearly got beat by a saxo.
martyno is offline   Reply With Quote