Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2011, 08:41   #81
Railroader
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i sx
Railroader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth_R View Post
Saxo clocks never under read, always over, so yes the inaccuracies work in our favour not yours

Also your method for working out the possible time difference based on a 2% inaccuracy is flawed as you have done it based on linear acceleration, when a car is far from it,

Plus, it's probably clear that the time stated on the video I.e 9 seconds elapsed or whatever, is accurate. What is inaccurate is what the video is viewing, for the reasons above.

You wont be the first Internet warrior to say their paxo has the fastest acceleration ever oh my godz I must have some special limited edition with 400 bhp and you won't be the last. For some reason you are one of the most persistent though and that inability to listen to the argument put to you and actually respond in a way that isn't 'omg you iz so deluded' makes you look like a tool
I know that clocks unsually overread. I was replying to the devils head guy about he assertion of inaccuracy with the measuring equipment, not the clocks [he said clocks and equipment in the same sentence but I replied about the equipment] but is says that if you could read properly.

Why is there no smilie for 'scratching ones head'? If ever a place needed one it is here.

Of course acceleration isnt linear. I described it twice on this thread already about changing gear and torque curves. So how can you assert that I think its linear? Oh I forgot its because you can't read properly.

If the speedo is overreading then if it is doing say 0-56 in 8 seconds, and we are disputing only the final end bit not the whole 8 seconds. My working out is perfectly adequate with the parameters of accuracy required.

Im sure im not the first that thinks their car in the muts, but this is a performance thread after all and I have written lots one here without ever mentioning me own car's performance.

Thats enough now, out to enjoy it instead of arguing about it.

Last edited by Railroader; 13th March 2011 at 08:52.
Old 13th March 2011, 10:06   #82
Gareth_R
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

I can read thank you, you've tried to assert that a 2% difference is 0.26 seconds based on a simplistic equation that would only be correct if the acceleration was linear. You are therefore contradicting yourself by saying it isn't when you've relied on that equation

I also think you are struggling with basic maths - 10% of 60 is 6 so your speedo is probably indicating 60 when you're doing more like 54. You might has well count it in your head as rely on the factory speedo. I suggest you go to Trax in September, they do 0-60 times there
Old 13th March 2011, 10:06   #83
Gareth_R
Established Member

I can read thank you, you've tried to assert that a 2% difference is 0.26 seconds based on a simplistic equation that would only be correct if the acceleration was linear. You are therefore contradicting yourself by saying it isn't when you've relied on that equation

I also think you are struggling with basic maths - 10% of 60 is 6 so your speedo is probably indicating 60 when you're doing more like 54. You might has well count it in your head as rely on the factory speedo. I suggest you go to Trax in September, they do 0-60 times there
Old 13th March 2011, 10:12   #84
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Dude, its not 8 seconds
Assuming it was 0-56mph (due to clock inaccuracies) then its more like 9 seconds
If you care that much, get it timed properly and prove us all wrong (you won't)
Old 13th March 2011, 10:17   #85
-shuggles-
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): bodied VTR
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
-shuggles- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I see you got up early to read the thread? lol. But what point is there at all replying? Of course sensors make a difference you prat. The best Lambda to buy is the Bosch one its been on here many times. The one I gleaned from another car [not Saxo] gives 10 more miles from 10 litres sometimes.
I just got in so I thought I would check so if changing sensors is such a great thing why is it only you doing this? Are you a step a head from everybody in trying to get better performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo-Vtr View Post
I love shugs 8 valve of terror... I wish I had throttle bodies
Old 13th March 2011, 12:10   #86
SAXO8VYO
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo furio - X312HBK Peugeot 206GTI -J44KBX
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
SAXO8VYO is on a distinguished road

railroader if you just for one min stop and listen to the other side of the arguement you will realise that your wrong and if you dont realise this maybe you shouldnt be on sax-p
Old 13th March 2011, 16:28   #87
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Yup I know what you mean. Its says 935kg for a VTS here. The obvious answer is that my Sax produces more than 75hp and as I described earlier, peak hp is not a factor in all of the timed seconds, only part of them. As you change gear you ride up the torque curve and as it hits peak hp rpm or just past it, you change gear again.

Also maybe Im as Im so used to the car I can change gear so fluidly it makes a difference, somebody said ealier that they thought it was going downhill.

I'd had my car well over 2 years, covered endless amounts of miles, run christ knows how many 1/4 miles and done numerous trackdays, I was used to my car enough that I could change gear fluidly and quickly enough that my previous post would still stand.

The obvious answer isn't that your car has more than 75bhp. The obvious answer is that your timing methods are out. If you're willing to continue arguing your case then please time it using accurate equipment first.
The Following User Says Thank You to titchster For This Useful Post:
Old 13th March 2011, 16:42   #88
-shuggles-
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by titchster View Post
I'd had my car well over 2 years, covered endless amounts of miles, run christ knows how many 1/4 miles and done numerous trackdays, I was used to my car enough that I could change gear fluidly and quickly enough that my previous post would still stand.

The obvious answer isn't that your car has more than 75bhp. The obvious answer is that your timing methods are out. If you're willing to continue arguing your case then please time it using accurate equipment first.
Can not put it in a simplier way

Quote:
Old 13th March 2011, 16:46   #89
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

my diesel Berlingo would whoop you all lol, because i say so, ergo its correct.
Old 13th March 2011, 16:51   #90
-shuggles-
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyslover70 View Post
my diesel Berlingo would whoop you all lol, because i say so, ergo its correct.
pft my bmx has a 25tooth sprocket and the chain has a sylicon based oil 0-60 in about 5 seconds

Quote:
Old 13th March 2011, 16:54   #91
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

yeah but its not got optimum sensors or anti friction tyres mate,sorry. My DW8 engine has been rolling road tuned for maximum performance and now produces more BHP then a Rolls Royce RB211 and i have to keep the sun roof open to give maximum downforce on the motorway
Old 13th March 2011, 17:02   #92
Gareth_R
Established Member

my dog does 0-60 in half a second - timed it with my mobile phone
Old 13th March 2011, 17:03   #93
Kyza
Established Member

Kyza is on a distinguished road

Just changed my coolent temp sensor for the dash and can confirm the cars faster.

Railroader, is this your van too by any chance after your performance modifications? Its must have the same sensors and clocks as yours?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyza For This Useful Post:
Old 13th March 2011, 17:08   #94
Gareth_R
Established Member

I imagine railroader has a laptop that screams 'Danger to the manifold' with acceleration as fast as the mighty furio. Also, when you hit 60mph, rivets on the floor pop and a section falls out.
Old 13th March 2011, 17:58   #95
-shuggles-
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyslover70 View Post
yeah but its not got optimum sensors or anti friction tyres mate,sorry. My DW8 engine has been rolling road tuned for maximum performance and now produces more BHP then a Rolls Royce RB211 and i have to keep the sun roof open to give maximum downforce on the motorway
on a serious note I am actually running low friction tyres primo slicks ftw

Quote:
Old 13th March 2011, 18:32   #96
Railroader
Established Member

Quote:

Mate, not only do you have trouble reading but your arithmetic is a bit [lot] off. Maybe you should go back to school, but a proper one this time- was it a comprehensive?

First of all where did you get 2% from? "[2/60]*8= 0.26 of a second" 2/60 is 3 1/3%

Secondly where did you get the 10% from? Its a mystery.

Thirdly what I actually said was that my calc was perfectly adequate within the parameters of accuracy required here, which it is. I didn't say that it wasn't a linear equation.

To do what I think you are getting at you would have to employ a video editing package and plot a chart of speed x 1/10ths of a second. You would need to know what the speedo error is at 60mph and correct all your speedo readings- thats assuming that the speedo error is linear which it probably wouln't be.

On the chart, 1st gear would be a steep curve, second gear a flatter curve, and third gear flatter still and cut short at maybe 58mph. You could then continue the line by guestimation up to 60mph the read off the time. Alternatively you could employ complex maths to continue the line. You would use regression analasis comparing the 1st and second gear curves to create a coefficient of drag, then use that coefficlent on your 3rd gear line. It would all be rather time consuming and I can't really be arsed. But you are welcome to do it for us!

Last edited by Railroader; 13th March 2011 at 19:44.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:35   #97
Railroader
Established Member

Quote:

Mate are you in Sheffield? Why didnt you speak when I said I was going to the Cleggy conference? We could have had a do on the bypass.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:38   #98
Railroader
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAXO8VYO View Post
railroader if you just for one min stop and listen to the other side of the arguement you will realise that your wrong and if you dont realise this maybe you shouldnt be on sax-p
What exacly am I wrong about? The only point of contention is how much speedo error there is. Ive already admitted that it will probably overread and gave 2mph as my estamate. Is there a timed track facility near Bolton? I will go if it doesnt cost too much
Old 13th March 2011, 18:41   #99
Railroader
Established Member

Quote:

OK you tell me what you think my 0-60 time is, then work out how much my speedo must be overreading by. You will find that the result is a ridiculous figure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:
Old 13th March 2011, 19:25   #100
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I imagine railroader has a laptop that screams 'Danger to the manifold' with acceleration as fast as the mighty furio. Also, when you hit 60mph, rivets on the floor pop and a section falls out.

i watched that last night, found it with a load of old dvds in a bag in my cupboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
Closed Thread