Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 9th April 2012, 21:44   #81
AJDEbon
Banned

Car(s): Saxo max
AJDEbon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchiz View Post
clio 182 pah my housemates vts with cat cam 743's pulls lengths on clio 197's, howver im led to believe the clio 172 has the quickest 0-60 time out of the range?

what did you do to your nephews vts? and what time did it run?

dont get me wrong id love for you to take my engine and work some magic on it, but for the time being a refurbed head, 708's and jenveys will do me, id only get a port and polish done witha bottom end rebuild if i went down the route of wilder cams with high comp pistons etc

saxo engines are cheap to buy if things go tits up
My Nephews Vts had the following:

Standard Cams

1. Valves re-seated and knife edged at 45 degrees

2. Cylinder head skimmed to near maximum tolerance of 20 Fal (any more will cause pre-ignition commonly known as pinking)

3. Resistors in the cooling system

4. Vacuum hose plugged on the fuel regulator (Allows full pressure at all times, therefore once the injector has opened the fuel leaves the injector at maximum pressure rather than a lapse that you usually get, I won't go into this any further as many other websites will explain this more clearly).

5. Throttle switch advanced

6. Valve timing advanced using standard pulleys (valves opening just before TDC), used special tooling at work to make sure the valves didn't hit the piston.

7. To compensate the increase of Fuel, most of you will be familiar with a Cold air feed induction.

8. Exhaust manifold ports matched to cylinder head exhaust ports, you will find that most exhaust manifolds will overlap very slightly with the cylinder head exhaust ports therefore causing an obstruction to exiting gases.

9. This minor modification can add a few 1000ths of a seconds, is knife cutting the butterfly in the throttle body (get gases flowing through as smoothly as possible)

10. Silencer and Catalytic converter removed, standard backbox, standard manifold.

11. Balanced drive-shafts.

12. Quick shift

13. Wheels balanced (aim to reduce power loss)

14. ECU Ignition timing altered

15. Valve guides smoothed

There are probably other modifications I have forgotten, but the basis of my set-up was to bring everything working together; it is very difficult and takes a lot of patience and testing.

I know he was running in the 14's.

Last edited by AJDEbon; 9th April 2012 at 21:50.
AJDEbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 21:53   #82
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): '04 VW Transporter.
MiniGibbo will become famous soon enoughMiniGibbo will become famous soon enough

So basically it's a standard vts, congratulations on wasting your time.
MiniGibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniGibbo For This Useful Post:
Old 9th April 2012, 22:04   #83
B205GTT

B205GTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDEbon View Post
My Nephews Vts had the following:

Standard Cams

1. Valves re-seated and knife edged at 45 degrees

2. Cylinder head skimmed to near maximum tolerance of 20 Fal (any more will cause pre-ignition commonly known as pinking)

3. Resistors in the cooling system

4. Vacuum hose plugged on the fuel regulator (Allows full pressure at all times, therefore once the injector has opened the fuel leaves the injector at maximum pressure rather than a lapse that you usually get, I won't go into this any further as many other websites will explain this more clearly).

5. Throttle switch advanced

6. Valve timing advanced using standard pulleys (valves opening just before TDC), used special tooling at work to make sure the valves didn't hit the piston.

7. To compensate the increase of Fuel, most of you will be familiar with a Cold air feed induction.

8. Exhaust manifold ports matched to cylinder head exhaust ports, you will find that most exhaust manifolds will overlap very slightly with the cylinder head exhaust ports therefore causing an obstruction to exiting gases.

9. This minor modification can add a few 1000ths of a seconds, is knife cutting the butterfly in the throttle body (get gases flowing through as smoothly as possible)

10. Silencer and Catalytic converter removed, standard backbox, standard manifold.

11. Balanced drive-shafts.

12. Quick shift

13. Wheels balanced (aim to reduce power loss)

14. ECU Ignition timing altered

15. Valve guides smoothed

There are probably other modifications I have forgotten, but the basis of my set-up was to bring everything working together; it is very difficult and takes a lot of patience and testing.

I know he was running in the 14's.
I think your right mate, there are other ways of improving power that just aint been looked on, just stripping the car out makes a big difference!
B205GTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 22:08   #84
B205GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGibbo View Post
So basically it's a standard vts, congratulations on wasting your time.
I cant see how everything can be standard, guy has tuned what hes got. better than what you done mate, stop dissin
Old 10th April 2012, 01:16   #85
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

Cooling system resistors?
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:33   #86
stevo1600
Established Member

Car(s): cammed 106 flatty
stevo1600 is on a distinguished road

The above is a waste of money and time unless you have a high spec n/a vts/106 etc which would mean you would like to squeeze everything you could out of it. much like sandys race engines.

if you have the knowledge and time to modify the head etc then yes i agree do it as its free. most who want power from there vts don't have that kind of knowledge and want more power than what the above will offer. i.e cams and a good full exhaust system + enclosed induction kit and a remap slapped on top. it doesn't cost the earth and makes very good power which has been proven

i dare say a standard vts with a decent 4-1 full system will be the same if not quicker than the above spec of your nephews vts. i like new ideas and new ways to make engines produce more power. but the above just doesn't do it for me or many of the members reading this thread.

im not at all slating you or arguing with you - im just pointing out the fact that the mods you have posted will probably have more of an effect on a high spec n/a car and more of a power gain will be shown.
stevo1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:44   #87
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!

MiniGibbo will become famous soon enoughMiniGibbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by B205GTT View Post
I cant see how everything can be standard, guy has tuned what hes got. better than what you done mate, stop dissin
What have i done thats not as good then..?

Id of taken out the back seats ten minutes before leaving the house and still acheived a better time at the 1/4 than the guy.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:45   #88
stevo1600
Established Member

Quote:

Id of taken out the back seats ten minutes before leaving the house and still acheived a better time at the 1/4 than the guy.
I agree. weight saving will be the best acceleration gain on any car.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:47   #89
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!

And even if its still a daily road car you can leave the seats in and just fit a full exhaust and a set of cams in a saturday morning and have more power.. much much more power.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:39   #90
stevo1600
Established Member

exactly. a second hand set of ph3s can be grabbed for a few hundred quid...

like i say, the mods he has done would be worth it on a very high spec highcomp or boosted engine. pretty pointless on a standard lump bar the quick shift.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:51   #91
ed-bradley
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): GS300, MK1 VTS, Katy M 1190
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
ed-bradley is on a distinguished road

Buy another J4 engine, put it in the back. DOUBLE POWA.
ed-bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 13:06   #92
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-bradley View Post
Buy another J4 engine, put it in the back. DOUBLE POWA.
Did not think of that!
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:25   #93
B205GTT

Quote:

put it dis way, i'd have him tune my car over u any day mate.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:30   #94
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

u disn the g in le yellow bema?
Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:33   #95
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

put it wot wey
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandi699 For This Useful Post:
Old 10th April 2012, 14:33   #96
ed-bradley
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): GS300, MK1 VTS, Katy M 1190
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
ed-bradley is on a distinguished road

ed-bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:46   #97
B205GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1600 View Post
The above is a waste of money and time unless you have a high spec n/a vts/106 etc which would mean you would like to squeeze everything you could out of it. much like sandys race engines.

if you have the knowledge and time to modify the head etc then yes i agree do it as its free. most who want power from there vts don't have that kind of knowledge and want more power than what the above will offer. i.e cams and a good full exhaust system + enclosed induction kit and a remap slapped on top. it doesn't cost the earth and makes very good power which has been proven

i dare say a standard vts with a decent 4-1 full system will be the same if not quicker than the above spec of your nephews vts. i like new ideas and new ways to make engines produce more power. but the above just doesn't do it for me or many of the members reading this thread.

im not at all slating you or arguing with you - im just pointing out the fact that the mods you have posted will probably have more of an effect on a high spec n/a car and more of a power gain will be shown.
I agree with some of what you said but not all.

firstly I wouldnt go underestimating what hes done, there are other ways of getting more power out of the vts

Don't matter if you agree with it or not mate, just because you don't agree with it don't mean its bad, I personally think its a step forward. red

Ive seen a similiar setup on my mates saxo who raced in saxmax, I can tell you that would hav pissed any cammed vtr! blue

this guy makes sense that factory only tune for durability and not performance, they dont want engines to last 20000 miles think about it! im not dissing anyone on this forum but there are people out there who are in the trade that know alot more than us specialy myself and rarely come to saxp.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:50   #98
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Id like to hear the comments from some of the other engine builders and tuners who use this website. They been very quiet on this thread...probably have better things to do though!
Old 10th April 2012, 14:50   #99
B205GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickle View Post
u disn the g in le yellow bema?
yh so wat? been reding this guys posts and all he does is chat s**t
he knows less dan me and that sayin somin
Old 10th April 2012, 14:51   #100
B205GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Id like to hear the comments from some of the other engine builders and tuners who use this website. They been very quiet on this thread...probably have better things to do though!
yh probably lol