Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 5th February 2008, 22:11   #1
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!
Default Home Security Systems

Hi all.

This has the potential to turn into quite a big thread so i'll leave it open in a discussion style format.

I've been meaning to setup some security cameras etc at home to keep a watchful eye on our fleet! I've looked at many many many systems over the year but never been able to get anywhere near chosing one. I know quite a few people on here have cameras to guard their drives etc so i thought id pop the question.

Ideally i'm looking for a system which meets the following criteria:

# Wireless, using my exsisting wifi network.
# Ideally it can record to a PC's hardrive as my file storage server has just grown past the 2 Terrabyte mark, also i dont really want to have to learn to use some standalone system, i'm much happier working in a PC based environment!
# Expandable, I'd be starting with 4 or 5 cameras with IR technology but would probably add more as time goes by!
Any extras which could be monitored is also a bonus (iv seen systems with temperature sensors, door and window sensors etc!)

Anyway, im keen to hear what systems you guys currently use & hopefully it will help me find the right one for me!

Might encourage a few others to setup a simple system too!

Discuss!

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 22:20   #2
98silvervts
Regular Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Red 97 vts bought in june 2012 :)
98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light

nice,
i've to look at this also, next week we are reloceting to new a new building.
our current system is buggerd.
and im to look at replacing with a new system based on ipcams or somthing like.

i'll be watching for tips..
i'll add my findings in two weeks, as my target date is then.

Coffin Dodger
98silvervts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 23:21   #3
JohnPartridge
Regular Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.4 Forte, Posi Blue
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
JohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud ofJohnPartridge has much to be proud of

I haven't used the system myself, but Know someone who has and gives it good feedback. He recommends Bosch Home Security products. They do a great IP Camera Network system.

http://www.boschsecurity.co.uk/conte..._ENU_XHTML.asp
Old 6th February 2008, 09:18   #4
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Nice link that, ill have alook through. Hearing the phrase "IP Camera Network" is a positive as it indicates my main criteria is widely availible!

Keep the input coming folks!

Old 6th February 2008, 09:33   #5
betty02
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): MK5 Golf GTi FSi
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!

Ok well what we had set up at my old workplace (schools) was a simple PC bassed work station (i know you wanted it to go to your current pc but here me out).. and all cameras (we had over 100) were all connected via normal ethernet cables, all went into the back of of the abse station, and then each camera had its own IP address, then on the abse station there was certain software whcih alloud us to view what was happene on each camera as epr usual, and you also had a DVD writer so that we could scroll back footage and save it etc.

Its nothing big and huge, its nothing dead technical, its simple and it worked.

EDIT:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IP-CAMERA-SERV...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by betty02; 6th February 2008 at 09:36.
betty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 09:43   #6
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

I've been looking at the AXIS stuff just now, they dont mention any prices so its probably horribly expensive stuff.

That system is the sort of thing i was previously looking at betty but with the distance all the cameras will need to be apart i couldnt wire them all in. I have 2 wireless routers & 2 switches fairly well spread out in my house with lots of empty ports + the server so ideally i'd be looking to expand on that.

Old 6th February 2008, 10:06   #7
betty02
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!betty02 is absolutely fabulous!

Ok so your hoping you can get wireless cameras that connect to your routers (preferably over IP so you can connect from anywere) and then obviously router is into PC then you dont want it recording 24/7 or do you? and onto a designated ahrdrive? and keep up to 7 days of footage?

AXIS is top class stuff, not the most expensive but not the cheapest
Old 6th February 2008, 10:10   #8
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Yeh well im not entirely sure what i want which is part of the problem, wireless or wired, although wireless would be nice.

I'd like certain cameras to record constantly but perhaps others only record on motion detection. It depends on the options availible really!

Old 6th February 2008, 10:12   #9
betty02
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Well im not sure on your budget, but something like this possibly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-WIRELESS-C...QQcmdZViewItem

and if you have say a DVD recorded all you need is 7 DVD-RW's and then lable them Monday - Sunday (obviously lol) and then change it everyday and keep it on constatct record, only problem with that is when you come to record something of TV etc, or could connect it up to PC, not IP'd though, price is good, sounds good stuff to me
Old 6th February 2008, 10:32   #10
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Dont really have a budget in mind but im thinking upto about a grand. The only thing with those kits is i cant see the expandability i want from them. I dont want to have to be there to swap DVDs too, it needs to just run on its own.

Old 6th February 2008, 10:34   #11
betty02
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Think i have an idea for you bear with me!
Old 6th February 2008, 10:39   #12
betty02
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

ok [ersonally sounds like you want something dedicated to CCTV, and i think thats your best option in all fairness,

Some this like this Here is great for and its Sony aswell, cant go wrong!Ok so its not IP but doesn't really need to be as its a dedicated CCTV server, and you cant really go wrong with it seriously!