Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Playstation Chat
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Playstation Chat Please use this forum to discuss Playstation related topics.

Old 7th January 2009, 12:19   #1
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!
Default PS3, Other OS

Can you install Leopard as another OS on the PS3? I know that you can install some linux OS's but unsure about OS X.

Any help much appreciated!

Also is it as simple as to just swap hard drives on the PS3 for larger ones? As i heard at work that the PS3 OS is installed on internal memory and you can just swap out the HD as only the saved data etc is stored on the HD.

Thanks

Matt
Old 7th January 2009, 14:57   #2
Brooksy
Frequent Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3 Quattro
Brooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to behold

Yeh you can put leopard on it. You have to have your hardrive wiped then add a partition to save some space so say like 120gb have like 40gb for leopard and then the rest for your ps3 os.
Then you can switch. I guess you'll need to install leopard from a disc so whack that in and run normally. attach mouse n keyboard and your away.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:58   #3
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

wow thats pretty amazing tbh ! so you can make a mac out of the ps3 !
Old 7th January 2009, 15:02   #4
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy View Post
Yeh you can put leopard on it. You have to have your hardrive wiped then add a partition to save some space so say like 120gb have like 40gb for leopard and then the rest for your ps3 os.
Then you can switch. I guess you'll need to install leopard from a disc so whack that in and run normally. attach mouse n keyboard and your away.
The PS3 OS isnt stored on the HD it has its on memory.

I have been looking online and it isnt looking to positive it seems as Leopard is built to run on Intel and the PS3 runs a CELL processor. But i am still looking and might give it a try over the weekend as it would be awesome to do so!
Old 7th January 2009, 15:36   #5
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

No it will not run directly. You can quite happily install Linux if you wish. To run leopard you would have to run some sort of base X86 emulation software that leopard under. Its all perfectly possible and relatively simple as far as emulations go but still way beyond your average computer user. You can run Mac OS X on a Xbox360 if you wish though it does have its limitasions.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 16:41   #6
Brooksy
Frequent Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3 Quattro
Brooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
The PS3 OS isnt stored on the HD it has its on memory.

I have been looking online and it isnt looking to positive it seems as Leopard is built to run on Intel and the PS3 runs a CELL processor. But i am still looking and might give it a try over the weekend as it would be awesome to do so!
Yes, but what I meant was that you still need space on your HD so you can save your game data etc so PS3 OS can read off it. So don't partition a drive so that you only have space for your other OS to run on.
I wasn't clear enough in what i previously said.

I know my Cousin runs xp off his ps3, my other cousin uses a 1Tb external drive to watch his HD movies and shows off of the ps3. (I tried this last night and its awesome the quality runs like normal I thought there would be problems as its reading from an external drive but its smooth no glitches)

Unless you dont have a PC, mac or laptop then I dnt see a point in having an extra OS. You can do everything like normal with the normal PS OS installed i.e view the net etc and you can download files to your drive and back them through external drive. Run a wireless media server from your PC to play music from through your ps3 from the PC.
Only thing missing would be using MSN or some sort. which is not a problem as you have XMB PS mates anyhow.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:21   #7
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

The reason i wanted to know was i just had a thought that if it could run leopard then i could use it as my main PC.

I also wanted to try it with Photoshop or something similiar to compare the difference in quality and colours. As my macbook needs calibration i was wondering if it being put through the TV via HDMI etc it might be better.
Old 7th January 2009, 21:34   #8
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

According to Apple's website you can run leopard on Intel, PPC processer with 512mb RAM.

So having it on the PS3 Is looking a possibility although the PS3 does only have 256MB RAM.