Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 8th July 2008, 17:15   #1
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): citroen saxo 1.1 forte(sold) sierra sapphire 1.8 v
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
wigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura about
Default sub box guide!

hi, has anyone got a twin sub box guide for a 12" sub? or could some tell me how to? just need i deas plz
thanx
wigansaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 18:20   #2
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

you cant just build a box.. needs to be built to size etc.. its a lot more colplicated then it seems. best to spend £50 and get bfuk to do it tbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 19:44   #3
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

wigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura about

i kno it aint that simple thats why im asking for advice, ive made one before but i wanna build a twin one now!
Old 8th July 2008, 19:56   #4
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

theres a website somewhere.. you type in every spec of your sub, and it tells you what dimensions the box should be.. ill try and find it for you
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 8th July 2008, 19:59   #5
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

type in all the figures and it makes the box right for your sub, then simply cut the wood to the sizes the website says, and get building
Quote:
Old 8th July 2008, 20:01   #6
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

ahh cheers bud, rep for that!
Old 8th July 2008, 20:08   #7
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Lupo GTI
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Heres a pic of my box which i made recently.

Its 2.5cuft tuned to 30hz.

Do you know the ins and outs of designing them?

Coonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:04   #8
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): saxo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
liam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to behold

very nice box mate will have to hear that when your down this end
liam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:07   #9
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_b View Post
very nice box mate will have to hear that when your down this end
Haha! Cheers mate! I wanna hear yours too!
Old 8th July 2008, 22:53   #10
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

coonper i dont kno! im hopin to learn, would be gratefull for any info!
Old 8th July 2008, 23:08   #11
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigansaxo View Post
coonper i dont kno! im hopin to learn, would be gratefull for any info!
Well the main factor of how any sub will sound is the box!

The box can vary in size according to how you want it to sound. I.e. Smaller sealed boxes give very tight punchy bass, favoured by sound quality enthusiasts. Big ported boxes have higher outputs, but slower reaction time and a loss in quality. Also, sealed boxes are able to play any frequency well, whereas a ported box will peak at a certain frequency, which is chosen by the maker of the box. I.e. My box peaks at 30hz, which is quite low, and hits very low and hard! However, if you wanted pure SPL (sound pressure level) then you would normally tune to around 40-45hz.

You get ports in either round or square form. Square ports are often used over round, as there is less port noise through them (heard as a flapping noise), and the internal baffle can help to give punchiness. Changing the length of the ports is what gives the change in frequency, and the frequency can range from as low as 20hz to about 50hz. 33-34hz is about right for everyday listening.

The box must be made from a good, thick MDF, such as 1". Or if you are really into box making, you can use 2 skins of 3/4" mdf, for ultimate rigidity!

The size of the box ultimately depends on the size of the sub. A 12" can need anthing from 1cuft to 5cuft, then if you were to have 2 of them you would simply double the size of the box. However, yo uneed to take into account the amount of space the driver will tae up when its in the box. Cus a lot of subs have massive magnets, and this dramatically alters the whole box, in terms of cuft and tuning frequency!

I could go on all night, but im tired! Lol

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Coonper; 8th July 2008 at 23:13.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:16   #12
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

liam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to behold

wigansaxo if you tell us what sub you have, what music you listen to, what you want from your install? then we'll tell you what kinda box will be best for you.

do you mind if it takes up your hole boot or do you want alot of boot space left?
Old 8th July 2008, 23:24   #13
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

i think it helps but ill have to read it a few times before it sinks in! what kinda sized box and port etc would u build for two 12" subs, that play mainley high bass stuff rap etc? in the back of a saxo!
Old 8th July 2008, 23:26   #14
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_b View Post
wigansaxo if you tell us what sub you have, what music you listen to, what you want from your install? then we'll tell you what kinda box will be best for you.

do you mind if it takes up your hole boot or do you want alot of boot space left?
its a 12" 400w audiobahn! mainly rap and hiphop type stuff! want tight bass i think, and no i dont mind if it takes up the boot
Old 8th July 2008, 23:26   #15
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Hard to say matey, as it all depends in the subs!

But I'd say anything between 3cuft and 6cuft. As some 12" subs need only a small space, such as 1.5cuft each, but others, like mine, need about 2.5cuft.

But you're definitely better off going ported for that kind of music! Especially if you like it loud!
Old 8th July 2008, 23:27   #16
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigansaxo View Post
i think it helps but ill have to read it a few times before it sinks in! what kinda sized box and port etc would u build for two 12" subs, that play mainley high bass stuff rap etc? in the back of a saxo!
id go for sealed (personal prefferance)

but imo rap / hiphop bass lines demand precision

and most of the bass often comes from the kick drums. will sound very good sealed imo
Quote:
Old 8th July 2008, 23:27   #17
DJDannyB
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

DJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really nice

wicked guide as per from coonper there i take it the size of the port depends on the frequency its tuned too, ie. 30Hz
DJDannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 23:28   #18
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Is that 400rms?
Old 8th July 2008, 23:31   #19
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

ported ftw if the box is made right it will sound like its in a sealed but be loud and low like a ported il have a look at what size box that sub works best with plus what amp you using?
Old 8th July 2008, 23:36   #20
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

no it aint 400w i aint sure what it is! i sold my amp, so the amps ill be using will be like 400w 2 channel!