Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 4th October 2006, 21:18   #1
Salmon1
Established Member

Car(s): vts
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Salmon1 has a spectacular aura aboutSalmon1 has a spectacular aura about
Default How To- Custom Boot Build **Update**

Well my Guide on Headlights went down a treat, so here's one for boot builds-

Stage 1- Preperation

As Always Preperation is the key to success.

The first thing to do is decide on the style of install you want, to get an idea of what works have a look around, there ar eloads of thread on the subject, use the search function located at the top of the page.

I personally chose my design because it is pretty challenging, but the rewards are an easy to see boot build which looks excellent.

Once you have decided on design, it is time to get all materials sorted out, It is not a cheap thing to do unless you already have the neccessary tools etc...

The first choice is which size of MDF, originally i was worried about weight and wanted to use 12mm but then i seen how flexxy it was and to be honest i want a sturdy build, i dont want it collapsing if i hit a pothole or something. So i decided to go for 18mm. This can be bought for £10.99 a sheet in BnQ Warehouse. 2 sheets is EASILY enough for ANY Saxo Install. I also needed 2 metres of 2x2" timber to use as supports for my false floor, the timber was £2.99. I also thourghouly recommend LOTS of cardboard, test all sizes with cardboard so you dont waste any wood.

Next thing is get all tools and equipment sorted, here's the essentials you will need-

Wood Saw
Jigsaw
Cordless Drill
Electric Sander
Philips Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver
Stanley Knife
Tape Measure
Hammer
Spirit Level
Pad Saw
Pencil
1.5"x8 Wood Screws
2"x8 Wood Screws
3"x8 Wood Screws

Now that you have everything ready and you are confident of your plans it is time to begin the fun.

Stage 2- Cutting All Pieces to Size

Wear a Dust Mask To Cover Your Mouth. I Didnt and have HUGE Chapped Lips To Show For My Stupidity!!!

Part 1- Base Size of MDF Needed- 42.5x26"

First Thing to do is mark out the base, to do this remove the liners from bottom of boot, the bottom "foam" type one is a perfect template for the base. Put it on top of MDF and mark around it with a pencil.

Then Place wood on a Bench and cut round with a Jigsaw.

You will now need to take a check out of each side of the base at the rear to allow it to fit over the bolts for rear seats. It will then fit in perfectly.

Part 2- Supports 2x2" Timber Needed

Next step is to make the false floor, 3" is the perfect height. For the support i used 2x2" Timber. Cut Ten 3" long pieces.

Part 3- Sides Size of MDF Needed- 57x40.5cm

* Cut a piece of MDF, 57x40.5cm.
* Measure 9.5cm up from the 57cm long side, and draw a straight line across. The line should be 56cm.
* On the Line Mark points at 12cm and 25cm accross. Mark at same intervals at top of MDF and draw the straight lines.
* From the second line there should be 31cm, Now make a mark 3cm in from this side, a line is not needed.
*Now mark out the angles by drawing in the diagonal lines as so-

*Now cut with a jigsaw along the diagonals.
* also take appropriate checks out to fit over bolts in back of boot.

That is the sides complete.

Part 4- False Floor Top Size of MDF needed- 40.5x24.75"

It is now time to complete the false floor. To do this measure the internal Width between two MDF side panels, it will be 40.5" at widest part. The Length is 24.75" at longest part. To get the curve use the foam used in Part 1, however you need to position it an inch off at either side as Foam will be 2" wider (42.5" instead of 40.4").

Once you have marked it all and cut it, place a few of Part 2 randomly dotted about on top of Part 1, then place the new false floor on, if you have marked out and cut correctly it will fit perfectly.

Part 5- Front Panel Size of MDF Needed- 106x41.5cm

Once Panel is cut, place it in, this is how Finished install will look as far as shape and size goes.

Stage 3- Putting it all together

Attaching False Floor To Base

First thing to do is attach 10 of Part 2 onto the base, i attached them leaving the centre completely free as this is where i will be putting my amps.

To attach them use 3" Wood screws. Make sure they are all very tight.

Next stage is place the base back in the boot along with the sideloosely in place.

Now put something sticky and wet on top of each Part 2, i used bicycle grease. Now place the base on top.

Leave for a few seconds and then remove.

The grease acts as a mark for where to screw the base down onto the supports.

Where all the grease is you need to drill a small hole using a 2mm drill bit.

Then flip over and put back in boot, leaving sides loose in boot so you srew it down in correct places.

Using 3" wood screws, screw through all the holes-

Attatching the Sides

Now it is time to mark the sides.

To do this make marks on both the sides and the false floor at same places, make 2 marks on each side.-

Now remove it all from boot, place on a stand and line it up again, then fix it all together using 2" Wood screws, You need to fix it from side and from bottom, as so-

It should now look like so-

Stage 4- Marking Out Front Panel

To do this is fairly simple, here what i done-

My sub diamater hole was 11inch. The total Length was 42".

I was using 2 subs.

2x11= 22

42-22=20

20/4= 5

So i went 5" in from each side, then 11" from the 5" mark, leaving 10" space in the middle (im considering putting in a changer)

So now mark lines up and down for the sizes.

It is now time to get the hieght right.

I wanted to play it safe and make sure subs didnt hit the false floor so i left more space at bottom than i did at top.

To work out the space i done following-

Total hieght- 16.5"

Then took away the sub diameter (11") form this.

Leaving 5.5".

I measured 3" up form bottom and drew a line right accross and 2.5" down from top and drew a line right accross,

As so-

Now use your Sub cutting template and mark on.

cut one to be safe and try for size-

Last edited by Salmon1; 16th October 2006 at 17:53.
Salmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 23:56   #2
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

First thing should be research. In to the what size of sub box the sub you buy works best in.
Old 5th October 2006, 00:49   #3
Curran
Saxperience Post Whore
East Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!Curran is absolutely fabulous!

will be good to see how you do this as you didnt seem to have a clue the other week

good luck!

also your sig is way too big. that will be deleted by a mod soon if you dont change it first

Last edited by Curran; 5th October 2006 at 01:43.
Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:23   #4
Connor_scotland
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 4th Impreza of the year - 391bhp - Audi S4 Avant,
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Connor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team member

looks like its going to be good keeps up updated mate
Old 5th October 2006, 15:06   #5
BBL
Established Member

BBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to behold

nice mate looks like it is going to good, love to se how its goes and the finished product looks like
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 18:51   #6
Saxo-Slag
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Vtr @ 123bhp R.I.P VTS
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Saxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant futureSaxo-Slag has a brilliant future

Nice to see somebody doing this. Its also good to see if you make mistakes them others can learn from it.(in a good way) Hope everything goes well mate. Looks like you have everything planned out well. Wot gear are you putting in ther and wot finish are you giving it.(material)

Was Seanp06
Saxo-Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 19:28   #7
Salmon1
Established Member

Right 8 hours work and everything is screwed together, just needs finishing.

As i have 4 weeks exactly until im even 17, im considering fiberglassing just to get it uber smooth, then leather, BUT i am unsure, Black leather will be the finsih though.

Anyway no update today as my mate with a 206 super turismo just offered to take me to Falkirk cruise, so seeeya's
Old 5th October 2006, 22:37   #8
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

How and why have you built a sub box when you dont know what size box your going to need as you have not yet bought a sub?
Old 5th October 2006, 22:41   #9
l1ukeRS
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus RS Saxo Vtr
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
l1ukeRS is a name known to alll1ukeRS is a name known to alll1ukeRS is a name known to alll1ukeRS is a name known to alll1ukeRS is a name known to alll1ukeRS is a name known to all

get a nail gun makes puttin it together a piece of piss!
l1ukeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 18:48   #10
Salmon1
Established Member

Update ^
Old 7th October 2006, 22:41   #11
SunderZ
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Vts turbo, 1.1 dsire, Pug 207.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
SunderZ has a spectacular aura aboutSunderZ has a spectacular aura aboutSunderZ has a spectacular aura about

if your covering it leather you wont need it "uber smooth" and you dont need to use fibreglass to get it "uber smooth" only to totally seel it and strengthen..
SunderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 23:20   #12
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWard View Post
How and why have you built a sub box when you dont know what size box your going to need as you have not yet bought a sub?
i 110% agree

the design could be fucked due to the size of the box required!!!
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 09:32   #13
Mattvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Mattvtr is a glorious beacon of lightMattvtr is a glorious beacon of lightMattvtr is a glorious beacon of lightMattvtr is a glorious beacon of lightMattvtr is a glorious beacon of light

imo this isnt the best guide to follow when you havent calculated anything for your sub(s) but goodluck
Old 8th October 2006, 13:14   #14
Robbo
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): 401 bhp r33 skyline
Robbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant future

looks like its going to be a good guide but like others have said, should have though what subs your going to use
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 13:15   #15
Salmon1
Established Member

Try to help people and all i get is slated.

So what if i've not measured sub box, i have neevr met anyone in my life whose calculated it, most people do builds for looks.
Old 8th October 2006, 13:35   #16
Robbo
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): 401 bhp r33 skyline
Robbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant futureRobbo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon1 View Post
Try to help people and all i get is slated.

So what if i've not measured sub box, i have neevr met anyone in my life whose calculated it, most people do builds for looks.
mate dont stop making the guide or anything lol it looks good but like you should of thought before hand do i want 2 15"'s or 2 10"'s or whatever etc etc but not many people measure the boxes for the correct amount so get the best sound etc etc. keep it up mate coz its looking good.

just a question, does it wheigh your car down like fuck? like performance wise do you notice the difference? when i had my furio i had a boot build like that but a bit smaller with 2 15's and 2 amps and i proper noticed a performance drop!

oh and rep for the guide mate
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 13:42   #17
Salmon1
Established Member

cheers mate, nah i wont stop, as i know it will help lots of people, its only the pure out and out audioheads that will bother about measuring boxes.

For the majority of peopl like myself, its for looks.

Well im only 16 which is the reason i took the project on, for something to do, to let the next 3 weeks till im 17 pass easier lol.

but once im going to wiegh it today. I cant see it being more than 7stone, which is less than a person, so in a VTR it should make much difference to be honest.

And thats the reason ive not put the front plate on, becuase i am yet to decide on subs and cut out sizes.

Although i will have subs by wednesday. 2 12" JL audio ones.
Old 8th October 2006, 13:44   #18
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

But whats the point in spending a lot of money on subs then not getting the best from them? Its like buying a brand new car and putting cheep crap oil in it! Yeah it does the job but not as well as it should!
Old 8th October 2006, 13:46   #19
Salmon1
Established Member

Well im sure ill be happy with the sound, so there will be no problems :d
Old 8th October 2006, 13:57   #20
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

Well then mate work out how big your box is then buy subs to roughly suit it.