Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2007, 15:29   #61
CSVTR
Regular Poster

Car(s): '01 1.8T Audi S3
CSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team member

The same old arguaments, people that come to this part of forum asking for recommendations on 6x9s are after advice which is what members like Dave and Pred are giving, it may not be which to buy but they are recommending an alternative that will undoubtably sound better.

The best set-up for any car especially a small car like the Saxo is:

Head Unit
Component System (as big as you can fit) - Amped
Sub - Amped
Amp(s)

Any speakers that are either "not round" or "placed behind the driver" are not needed. All that we are trying to advise is that it is a waste of money buying 6x9s, rear speakers etc. Your money would be much better spent on the items listed above.

Some people that have not heard a set of amped components will argue that their front speakers are not loud enough that is why they require 6x9s, but amped components become much louder than head unit run components.

By all means if you require a bit of extra bass without placing a sub in the boot then place a set of 6x9s in the back. But make sure you have a stronger parcel shelf and amp them (set the filters to allow only low frequencies) that is the main hate of 6x9s, vocals being played from behind the ear.

I highly suggest that if you plan to include a sub in your system then forget 6x9s. What you are basically doing is using both inferior and superior products at the same time. A 6x9 will produce both high and low frequencies, a sub will play the same lower frequencies, but better and amped components will play the same higher frequencies, but again better. So why spend the extra money on speakers that play frequencies that have already been covered in your system.

If you want extra volume buy a bigger amp, not more speakers.

In regards to the lad that says he does not like Boston S50s, not everyone has to, there are many other component systems out there that you may like, I personally do not like the Boston's that is why I have a set of Genesis A16s. But I have to ask, what amp were the Boston's being run off of.

Hope this helps at all for the original poster.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:31   #62
cal1892
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vts
cal1892 has a spectacular aura aboutcal1892 has a spectacular aura about

guess im a 17 yr old non car knowledge fool then lol.
tbh i have been thinkn of removing my 6x9's but not because i dont like the sound of them or i would like to strap them to the side of my head just so that the sound waves can get in properly but just because i like the fact of not having a parcel shelf i like the look of an open spaced so to speak boot.
altho i like the look of my audiobahns, and love the quality,
have any of u guys ever used the likes of clear perspex or anything along those lines for a box or enclosure for subs ??
Old 29th May 2007, 15:31   #63
pat_man_vts
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
pat_man_vts is a jewel in the roughpat_man_vts is a jewel in the roughpat_man_vts is a jewel in the rough

RS_Mat - have you heard a car with front components and a sub amped?
Old 29th May 2007, 15:35   #64
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

I remember an old r5 a long long tiem ago that have its box box made from thick perspex. Teh box ah cost a fortune to design and make. I never heard teh car but I think it did compete.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:38   #65
cal1892
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vts
cal1892 has a spectacular aura aboutcal1892 has a spectacular aura about

its just as you probably know i love the look of my audiobahns and the chrome basket imo is too nice to hide.
also ive noticed on a few threads using fibreglass that the fibreglass is black.
why is this. every fibreglass paste that i have used is red.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:40   #66
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

fibreglass can be a few colours, depends on the resin your using

Old 29th May 2007, 15:41   #67
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

You just need to add colour pigment to the fibreglass mix to change its colour.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:43   #68
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWard View Post
You just need to add colour pigment to the fibreglass mix to change its colour.
the can i bought had box's on with which colour it was, think it said clear, black and something else

Old 29th May 2007, 15:49   #69
Ste
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!

6x9's ftw....

jk heehe

Is anyone here going to the Xscape meet on the 12th with a mega sound system. Then i can see the wonderful comps in action.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:58   #70
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

not me ste but thats what people need to do, i usually go to the turners ones, they get quite a turn out and not a 6x9s in sight

Old 29th May 2007, 16:13   #71
Ste
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!

If i get converted then everyone else will be......
Old 29th May 2007, 16:20   #72
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

lol well if you go take a load of pictures

Old 29th May 2007, 17:07   #73
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

Xscape is only 4 mins from my house if anyone wants to have a rid eup to mine I am more then happy to set there systems up right and tell them how it can be improved.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:31   #74
brianS
Established Member
South East Region Member

brianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nice

if its space people are worried about then why not get 2 of the focal subs wacked in the glovebox, they are only 5inch so will easily fit and they do actually pound pretty well.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:47   #75
Danr
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Charming car
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!

I see people think i was having a go with my pictures! I was trying to point out the fact that money can be better spent!

I actually have 6x9's in my car, haven't got around to replacing the parcel shelf and din't want holes, they don't do the job at all, most of the time just distort and piss me off

The best value speaker i have heard were the boston front comps in ads's car. He has them and a sub and it really made a huge difference! If you want loudness, amp some front comps, not 6x9's. They are a mis match for me anyway. Kind of in between coaxile (sp) and a sub.

Buy some 6x9's if you want them, wonder into halfrauds and buy the most expensive ones in there. Prob be around £200 and then when your mates are sitting in the back of your car wonder why you payed so much for the sound to be muffled by someones head
Old 29th May 2007, 22:00   #76
vtrchris64
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Clio 182 Cup
vtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to behold

i have a set of 6x9's that have been good enough for my needs, although when i change my car i shall be investing in a set of components to see what all the fuss is about
Old 29th May 2007, 23:42   #77
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

you will be glad you did mate, go and listen to some before you buy them, any good audio shop will have some set up for you to test

Old 30th May 2007, 01:56   #78
pat_man_vts
Regular Poster

pat_man_vts is a jewel in the roughpat_man_vts is a jewel in the roughpat_man_vts is a jewel in the rough

^^ or come to my house and listen to mine
Old 30th May 2007, 21:18   #79
RS_Matt
Established Member

Car(s): Scooby.
RS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_man_vts View Post
RS_Mat - have you heard a car with front components and a sub amped?
Several, all sounded crap. One farted in the doors, one made the doors rattle like a bugger, one was outpowered by a 1,500 Alpine/JL bass system and the other had no real midbass punch leaving every bassline sounding the same.

I'd only ever use them for ambience at lower volumes. Sound quality isn't a factor at 40mph+ with every material the car has vibrating all competing with general traffic and road noises.

Save musical reproduction excellence for the home.

Like I say Components sat in a car park will shit on 6x9's playing at moderate volumes but it's what you demand tbh. I actually hate 6x9's and have blown tons but the 7x10's sound like two 10 inch subs playing off the V12 amp and I can't hear no distortion with the small JL audio sub pounding under it.

I don't want a massive sub box and amp, so I let my 7x10's do the low end business and they aren't visible unlike a quality front install.

Pros and cons for both ways.

Last edited by RS_Matt; 30th May 2007 at 21:22.
Old 30th May 2007, 21:20   #80
pat_man_vts
Regular Poster

sounds like you need some sound deadening tbh
Closed Thread