Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 31st July 2018, 10:38   #1
steffeen
L-plater

steffeen is on a distinguished road
Default Which tyre would be best for rallying?

Hello Saxperience
I am running light class rallying in Denmark, in a "road legal" class.
I'm looking to buy some new tyres now since the old Continental is worn down.

I have found some new tyres but I'm looking if anyone have experience with these for maximum grip and stability.
My best buy would be the Toyo Proxes R88R but I'm just curious about peoples experience with these four tyres in the size 185/55-R14 or 185/60-R14

Any opinions on what to buy for light rally on road legal tyres?

1. Toyo Proxes CF2 185/60-R14
2. Uniroyal Rainsport 3 185/60-R14
3. Dunlop Sport BluResponse 185/60-R14
4. Dunlop StreetResponse 2 185/60-R14

Thanks in advance
steffeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 23:30   #2
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

What do your regulations allow?
If you look at the UK MSA (Motor Sport Association) website and view the 'blue book' regulations there are three groups of tyres in an appendix about tyres. 'List 1a', 'list 1b' and 'list 1c'.
List 1a are regular tyres like your Mum's car would have on it. 1b are softer, more sport oriented and list 1c are 'really only any good in the dry' kind of things.
If you are allowed to use them, for wet weather there is no better tyre than an 'Avon Turbospeed CR28', but they are exceptionally soft and do not last in dry conditions. They get around the 'E' marking rules for load ratings because they pre-date the test, so aren't required to pass. They are technically for use on 'pre 1991 vehicles', but if your scrutineer doesn't know that then what's to stop you?
:-)
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 10:02   #3
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI - 106 GTI shell - New 106 Rallye shell
karl_mh is on a distinguished road

As chipwizard said, depending what your regulations allow but I have used the Toyo proxes 185/55/14 on a standard road going 106 Gti and were a good all round tyre for dry and whet conditions, however, I have also used mounded slicks on a asphalt prepared car which are road legal as the tread covers the width of the tyre but the minimum tread depth still applies.

Obviously the mounded slick is a dry asphalt tyre and may not suit your application, in addition you would also need to consider intermediate/ wets if you went down the full competition tyre route.

Other variables also include your budget, is the car you daily driver or just for rallies, surface conditions ( pure asphalt- gravell) or both.

karl_mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 18:00   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
What do your regulations allow?
If you look at the UK MSA (Motor Sport Association) website and view the 'blue book' regulations there are three groups of tyres in an appendix about tyres. 'List 1a', 'list 1b' and 'list 1c'.
List 1a are regular tyres like your Mum's car would have on it. 1b are softer, more sport oriented and list 1c are 'really only any good in the dry' kind of things.
If you are allowed to use them, for wet weather there is no better tyre than an 'Avon Turbospeed CR28', but they are exceptionally soft and do not last in dry conditions. They get around the 'E' marking rules for load ratings because they pre-date the test, so aren't required to pass. They are technically for use on 'pre 1991 vehicles', but if your scrutineer doesn't know that then what's to stop you?
:-)
We've had this conversation in person, but I can't remember what you said.

What's the 2nd best?
Old 1st August 2018, 19:00   #5
steffeen
L-plater

steffeen is on a distinguished road

The regulations are denmarks law.. e marked Dot approved and Road legal

The race is 100% solid tarmac, 3-5 km pr stage and 6-12 stages pr Day
I had nankang ns2r in 15” withour succes’s .. too much rubbing and Not enough heat
So i ran 14” Continental which was better but is there anything better?
Would the R888R get heat enough?
steffeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 23:02   #6
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post

What's the 2nd best?
I wouldn't know. :-D :-D
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:42   #7
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
I wouldn't know. :-D :-D
I'm quite fancying doing road class sprints with my Rallye, it gives me motivation to fix it.

Knockhill is pretty rainy!
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:01   #8
AdamL200
Infrequent Poster

AdamL200 is on a distinguished road

The Avon cr28 is an odd suggestion, very old technology and very expensive,I’ve heard good things about the nankang and been in a megane with them on and it was brilliniant until 1 went flat, swopped to a uniroyal and the difference was huge and not in a good way
AdamL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 22:00   #9
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL200 View Post
The Avon cr28 is an odd suggestion, very old technology and very expensive
Not an odd suggestion at all, it's based on wet circuit use myself, not something that I read on the interweb.

It's obvious that you haven't used them then.

Old, in that they pre-date the load tests so can be made with much softer rubber than any other road legal tyre by far.

Very expensive, because Avon know that there is nothing else that comes close, so if you want the best you'll pay for it.
Old 4th August 2018, 21:51   #10
AdamL200
Infrequent Poster

I sell them for a living and no what exactly what they are,and the pre date coding has nothing to do with compounds, not saying there not a good tyre but they are certainly surpassed by more modern tyres
Old 4th August 2018, 22:07   #11
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

I don't sell them, but I've won races on them in the wet, and they absolutely piss all over anything except a 'full wet' racing tyre. Trust me, I've actually done it, myself, and I didn't just read it on the internet.

The compound is so soft that it won't pass the later load tests, so the pre date coding has absolutely everything to do with compounds. Do your research and you'll find that for yourself.
It's a shame that they aren't available in larger sizes than they are, but that's just a legacy of the 'pre-91' requirement.

You will surely know that nobody can touch Avon for soft compound slick tyres too? That's why everybody uses them for hillclimbs and sprints. The Dunlop HC100 that they ran a few years ago was OK for European hills, that are much longer than UK tracks, because the Europeans can close roads for speed events and we can't (well, couldn't; because the law has recently changed), but for UK events absolutely everybody who is quick use Avons, because their compounds are far softer than anyone else's.
Old 5th August 2018, 20:10   #12
AdamL200
Infrequent Poster

im Really not going to get into a ridiculous argument on the Internet
Old 8th August 2018, 22:06   #13
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

I'm not arguing either, just trying to educate you and other readers because I know what I know from first hand experience.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:17   #14
AdamL200
Infrequent Poster

You’ve told him about a tyre he can’t actually use,Thats not educating some 1
Old 12th August 2018, 18:35   #15
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL200 View Post
You’ve told him about a tyre he can’t actually use,Thats not educating some 1
He told op about the CR28 BEFORE op mentioned that he needed E marked tyres...

Then YOU said it was an odd suggestion, so he explained why it wasn't an odd suggestion.

so at the time, no he didn't suggest a tyre that couldn't be used, the 1991 ruling is an MSA UK ruling, rules are/can be different in other countries.

so, my understanding is, the pre dating the E mark has everything to do with compounds available, the CR28 is so soft it wouldn't pass a number of the tests required to make it eligible for an E mark. Basically this allows AVON to produce any compound they like. So albeit an "old" tyre, it's modern technologies put into the original design.

think of it the same way as modernising a classic car. It's still the same car, but with modern underpinnings you could create a much better car than a modern built one.

also, he's educating you, but you're not listening.

You need to be more open minded when given advice online.
Old 12th August 2018, 21:51   #16
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

And my very first reply opened with 'What do your regulations allow?'
I then went on to make suggestions based on the UK situation, in case they were similar.