Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 13th April 2008, 23:37   #1
CSVTR
Regular Poster

Car(s): '01 1.8T Audi S3
CSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team member
Default Advice On Power Ratings (Amplifiers & Speakers)

I see day in day out, people that don’t understand power ratings. Most people don’t have the knowledge of power ratings in regards to car audio therefore they come to the ICE section and ask for advice. Now there’s a lot of people on here that are willing to give advice but most unfortunatly they themselves only know the basics.

I’ve written this so that people have the chance to gain a little knowledge on how to match an amp to a speaker and for those that like to give advice to be able to give the best/accurate advice they can.

THE BASICS

When buying an amp, whether it is to power a set of components or a sub always look at the RMS rating, ingnore the peak (max) power figure. Any brand that states these figures with no RMS figure should be avoided.

THE GAIN SETTING ON AN AMP...

...is not a volume control! It’s a signal matcher. (This is the biggest thing I must stress to everyone as setting this up wrong is the main cause for damage to a speaker). If you’ve got a 5v head unit the gain should be set to 5v, if you’ve got a 4v head unit set it to 4v etc. This is what you will produce max volume at anything over this figure and you will be sending a clipped signal from your amp to your speakers and this is what does damage.

The best way to have this done is to scope it or get someone at an audio meet to scope it for you, but if you can’t do this then the next best way is to set the volume to roughly 75% on your head unit and gradually increase the gain until you hear any sort of distortion, when you reach this point turn the gain back a touch and you should be fine.

For some people this could result in the gain being set at almost max and some around half way, it all depends on the head unit but the overall volume will be the same on both set-ups, don’t think “my mates got his set at 80% and mines at 50% his is going to be louder” it doesn’t work that way, some head units are better at delivering max volume at lower gain levels than others.

How many times have you heard someone say:

Quote:
"You think this is loud, you should hear it when the amps turned all the way up it's only at half way at the moment"
This clearly shows they have no knowledge of car audio and I guarantee that the speakers won't have a long life span.

SPEAKER (RMS) RATINGS

RMS values are what the speaker can handle without causing damage to a speaker, that is pretty self explanitory, that’s why people are scared to power a driver with more power than it is rated at but there’s no need to worry about power ratings.

I’ll explain why, an amp will only deliver it’s RMS rating when playing at both max volume and on sine wave (0db) tunes, music isn’t recorded at 0db therefore the speaker will never see the full amount of power when playing music, other factors such as amp efficiency play a part. Amps will only produce a certain % of the total power, class D (most mono) amps have the highest efficiency, class AB (most multi-channel amps) unfortunatly don't have such as a high efficiency rating.

If an amp is set up correctly (the gain setting) a speaker should be able to handle atleast 50% more power. So for example if you have a speaker that is rated at 100w RMS, then powering it with an amp that produces 150w RMS will be handled fine.

There’s alot of myths in car audio, some say underpowering does damage, some say overpowering does damage. Now underpowering doesn’t do any damage despite what you hear, so long as you have set the amp up correctly no damage will be done.

Overpowering on the other hand can actually be easier on your gear if set up properly. This is because If your amp and sub are both rated at (say) 500W RMS, you'll never get the most from the sub, because the amp will start to clip long before it gets near it’s rated power. However if you power a sub rated at 500w with between 750-1000w RMS then the amp gain can be turned down a touch which will allow the amp to achieve peak performance out of the sub without pushing itself too hard to achieve it.

Conclusion

When matching an amp to a speaker don't be afraid to buy an amp that produces more power than the speaker is rated at, somewhere around 50% extra will be fine so long as you take the time to set the gain up correctly. Having said this don't go crazy on the power, powering a 150w sub with 2000w RMS will kill it no matter how careful you are I just wanted to stress this before someone comes back and says they've done this because I said it would be ok to overpower the speaker.

OHM VALUES

A lot of people can’t get their head around ohm values, these are very simple once you realise how they work. Any driver (speaker) has a specific configuration, the most common are:

Single Voice Coil (SVC) or Dual Voice Coil (DVC)

Whether it is a single or dual it can be told by the amount of connectors the sub has, if it has 1 pair it’s a single VC, if it’s got 2 pairs it’s a dual VC.

The ohm value of the speaker can come in many different configurations, again the most common are:

Single 8 ohm
Single 4 ohm
Dual 4 ohm
Dual 2 ohm

These values can most likely be found either in the manual or on the bottom of the driver. The ohm configuration that the amp can run on depends on the speakers configuration, so if the speaker is a single 4 ohm driver then the amp will see a 4 ohm load, same with the 8 ohm etc.

Now if the driver is a dual configurated speaker then it can be run at a choice of 2 impedances (this depends on how a speaker is wired to an amp). The 2 choices will be either half or 2 times the speakers impedance. So if the driver is a dual 2, then the amp can be run at either 1 ohm or 4 ohm i'm sure you can work out the dual 4 ohm for yourself.

Have a play around on this website to learn how to wire a DVC speaker to amp to show a certain impedance, Woofer Wizard.

If there's anything anyone wants to know that I haven't mentioned please feel free to PM me, you'll have to excuse me (for the next week) though if I don't get right back to you i'm currently in Brazil so I could be on the beach or something or I could just be in bed due to the time difference.

. Protect your ICE! - Join... ICE Register.
. . For ICE advice visit the Talk Audio Forums.
CSVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CSVTR For This Useful Post:
Old 13th April 2008, 23:50   #2
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Posi Blue 1.1
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

good, write up mate, hopefully it should clear up some facts for people :y
have some sax-p love
Old 14th April 2008, 07:57   #3
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Lupo GTI
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Good write up there mate!

But i think that underpowering a speaker by a considerable amount can lead to premature damage, especially as most on here will just turn the gain up more to compoensate.

Last edited by Coonper; 9th December 2010 at 22:55.
Coonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 23:06   #4
CSVTR
Regular Poster

CSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team memberCSVTR is a well respected team member

Quote:
But i think that underpowering a speaker by a considerable amount can lead to premature damage, due to the dirty signal which it is being sent, causing distortion at low volumes.
Unfortunatly this isn't true, a dirty/bad signal is just another name for a clipped signal. As I said the main reason for damage is a clipped signal being sent to the speaker, doesn't matter whether you're under or overpowering a speaker, delivering a clipped signal will damage the speaker.

What a lot of people tend to do when using an amp that underpowers by a considerable amount is to whack the gains up to compensate for the lack of power, this in turn creates a clipped signal and damages the speaker. People then assume that underpowering does damage, this is why i'm trying to make sure that people know that the gain setting is not a volume control.

Also a final note, everytime you lower the volume on a head unit you are underpowering the speaker. Increasing or decreasing the volume determines how much power a speaker sees from the amp.

Edit: Another quick thing I need to clear up as I just saw someone had posted about it is that you can have the gain set below the head unit voltage. Only above it will create a clipped signal.

The idea is if you have a 250w RMS sub and power it with a 600w RMS amp, set the gains up to what they should be then turn it down a little (depending on how much the amp overpowers the sub by). This is so that the amp delivers a power rating closer to that of the sub but the amp won't be working as hard as a 250w RMS amp to achieve the peak performance from the sub.

Last edited by CSVTR; 14th April 2008 at 23:23.
Old 18th April 2008, 20:14   #5
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Last edited by Ashleyp; 26th July 2011 at 07:11.
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 21:13   #6
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

should of really put up a thread mate

but id say none of those, whats your maximum budget????

personally there are better amps out there for the money

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 02:21   #7
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

oh right. i dont wana go loads over £100, as i said just building a half decent setup, nothing to special. if anyones got any decent ideas of monoblock amps that would suit my sub (pioneer 400watt rms) it would be a great help. cheers
Old 9th July 2008, 21:30   #8
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): saxo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
liam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to behold

good right up mate
liam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 08:41   #9
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

My understanding is this...

Speakers generate a lot of heat.

e.g. a 1000 Watt speaker with 100W RMS into it generates 100W of heat. Did you ever try to unscrew a 100W bulb that was turned on? Hurts doesnt it....

To get rid of that heat, speakers need to move back and forwards all the time to generate airflow.

When you overdrive an underpowered amplifier and clip the signal, you effectively put a square wave through the speaker. The speaker doesnt move as much as it should for the power going through it, and the coil fries.

Last edited by Coonper; 9th December 2010 at 22:56.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:59   #10
DJDannyB
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

DJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really nice

When you clip a speaker it sends an electrical signal to the speaker which will eventually fry the coils. When I use big PA systems for clubs etc. the amps always have a higher rating than the speakers it is driving.

Well said coonper mate.
DJDannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 10:00   #11
DJDannyB
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

DJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really nice

Forgot to add, when underpowering speakers, the amp will clip at a lower level than it should do, not becuase the speaker cant take it, its because its being underpowered by a lower powered amp.
DJDannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 10:09   #12
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): saxo
liam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to behold

im with csvtr on this under powering a sub doesnt damage it under powereing it and turning the gain alway up does damage it
liam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 10:19   #13
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_b View Post
im with csvtr on this under powering a sub doesnt damage it under powereing it and turning the gain alway up does damage it
Yes, absoloutley! Of coarse it will! But lets face it, if you have a sub and amp and the sub is barely making any noise you will end up cranking the gain up to get more from it! Then you will cook the thing!
Old 10th July 2008, 18:57   #14
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonper View Post
Yes, absoloutley! Of coarse it will! But lets face it, if you have a sub and amp and the sub is barely making any noise you will end up cranking the gain up to get more from it! Then you will cook the thing!
150wrms kenswood is running 400wrms pioneer

no problems atall

i set my gain correctly, matched to headunit spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 13th July 2008, 14:43   #15
CSVTR
Regular Poster

So long as the gains are set correctly underpowering a sub will not do damage to the driver, it's a myth derived from people that believe the gain setting is a volume control, and not being happy with the gains only being set half way because they think they can squeeze a little more volume by whacking them up. This then sends a clipped signal and eventually kills the driver, unless there is another fault with either the amp or the speaker then underpowering with correctly set up gains usually won't do any damage to a speaker.

Old 10th September 2009, 06:42   #16
jerseymike68

jerseymike68 is on a distinguished road

Good information
jerseymike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 02:46   #17
wa11y
Regular Poster

Car(s): mgzs 180 trophy blue
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
wa11y is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

good info thanks
wa11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 10:21   #18
saxtreme
Established Member

Car(s): yamaha tzr50/dt125 cars: 1.0i spree
saxtreme is on a distinguished road

im new to the ice thing as well as the forum thing i hav 2 triple x xs-1040d 4ohm 500 w i was lookin at this amp to run it will it work or wil i need 2 or wateva im realy confused bout all this
saxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 15:03   #19
Killeybh
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 1.1 desire
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Killeybh is on a distinguished road

nice explaination m8
Killeybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 21:25   #20
samoVTR
Regular Poster