Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 11th February 2010, 10:56   #661
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi

Go for a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs XTR or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 18:00   #662
xxo0pko0xx
Established Member

Car(s): Astra 2006 (55) 1.9 cdti 150 sri 192hp 322ftlb
xxo0pko0xx is on a distinguished road

Hi mste wondered if you could help

mk2 vtr w reg silvertop (98bhp?)
would like oil for track setup as soon may be attending some
oil to be used in box and engine
mods are ph1 newmans
k&n induction and sports system standard mani
currently using castrol I picked up from a garage and unsure of gearbox
thanks
xxo0pko0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 18:08   #663
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Go for one of the good 5w-40's I mentioned above, they are all well proven track oils.

You*need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx
cheers

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 12th February 2010, 08:50   #664
1ntense
Regular Poster

Car(s): VTR
1ntense is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice mate

is the sole purpose of a quality oil to stop the engine from degrading then or are there other benefits, think I read about improved fuel consumption?

from a full tank to the first click, I got 300 miles before it went into the red, dont think thats particularly good?

also how long would a bottle of the oils you recommended last me and is it difficult to do a full oil change?
1ntense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 13:58   #665
oilman
Established Member

Oil is there to protect the engine as it's purpose, but it can also do other things. If the oil is the right grade, it helps (a tiny bit) with fuel economy and power as there is not too much resistance against the pistons. The amount gained with either of those was pretty minimal though
Old 12th February 2010, 16:37   #666
lukeman13

Car(s): Sexyyyyyyyyyyy
lukeman13 is on a distinguished road

any 1 got a vtr with race cams
lukeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:46   #667
1ntense
Regular Poster

Car(s): VTR
1ntense is on a distinguished road

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Will do an oil change when I get myself a jack and some axle stands.

Thanks again

Danny
1ntense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 12:37   #668
Oxas16V
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS 1.6 16V
Oxas16V is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Robert,

What kind of oil temps are you getting? A good ester based performance synthetic 5w-40 is good to run around at 125degc all day long without beginning to shear down or loose its film strengh. Yes the SAE40 is thinner at 120degc then it is at 100degc and for a average group III (hydrocracked mineral) synthetic this would be a problem, but not for the top stuff. Low oil pressure at high temps is not as bad as it sounds, its just means the oil is moving much faster around the engine and this is a good thing as it helps to aid cooling and will keep the hydrodynamic lubrication up.

Dont get me wrong the Mobil Rally 5w-50 is a good oil, however for the same or similar money there is better available. The Mobil 5w-50 is a blend of group III and group IV base stock, at the top of the tree you have the group V synthetics and these are a blend of pao group IV and ester to make the best performance oils available. These are the likes of the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300v, Redline, Gulf Comp and Millers CFS.

Cheers

Guy.

Hi Guy, were did you get this from? Mobil Rally has to be a full PAO.

I know there are serveral threads about Mobil 1 changed from groupIV to groupIII, but never saw the Mobil 1 Rally Formula 5w50 in that circumstances.

Then there are a lot of discussions about even a groupIII is able to keep up with a groupIV or be better, depends of how its done, the same on ester, could be bad if they aren't done prober!

Robert
Old 14th February 2010, 13:51   #669
xxo0pko0xx
Established Member

Car(s): Astra 2006 (55) 1.9 cdti 150 sri 192hp 322ftlb
xxo0pko0xx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman13 View Post
any 1 got a vtr with race cams
i have ph1's?
xxo0pko0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 09:24   #670
rozaladdd
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Black/Orange Vtr
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
rozaladdd is a jewel in the roughrozaladdd is a jewel in the roughrozaladdd is a jewel in the rough

cheers for oil been doing most of my service myself cars just gotta have oil and radiator blead so going to buy the oil on friday mate thanks
rozaladdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 17:30   #671
MR_N
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
MR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of light

Looking for some oil advice, about to give the car a big serivce, whats best to use for my car.

98 Mk1 Saxo
1.6 vtr (with only breathing mods, filter/exhuast and a catch tank)
Use it everyday on the road, not much motorway journeys at all.

Recommendations?

Thank you

Sam

FCS 2011 SPECIAL AWARD - TRAX 2011 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - FCS 2012 SHOW AND SHINER WINNER - TRAX 2012 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - TRAX 2013 BEST SAXO
MR_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 21:42   #672
1-1dicky
Frequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr
1-1dicky is on a distinguished road

citroen saxo

1.1 8v

mk1

how much gear oil do i need to put in there from empty, drained it all out today when changing engine

thnaks
1-1dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 23:45   #673
Oxas16V
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS 1.6 16V
Oxas16V is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-1dicky View Post
citroen saxo

1.1 8v

mk1

how much gear oil do i need to put in there from empty, drained it all out today when changing engine

thnaks
2 liters
Old 19th February 2010, 14:04   #674
oilman
Established Member

that's what I have too
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:14   #675
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Hiya,

I'm building up a new engine (new pistons&rings, rods, bearings, but old crank and head) and am just wandering what sort of running in oils you'd recommend?

It's a supercharged/turbo engine, but won't be running them/any boost whilst the engine is being run in I don't think (would need to confirm)

Am I right in thinking the rough oil process for running the engine in is as follows:

- Crappy oil for first 50-100miles (something along the lines of a 0w-40 semi-synthetic oil?)
Change the oil and oil filter, then:
- Better oil for 500miles (maybe some lower quality fully-synthetic stuff, 5w-40?)
Change the oil and filter then:
- Good oil for the foreseeable future - 5w40 Silkolene Pro S ?

Car will be used on the road and track, around 50:50.

Will Citroen oem filters be okay for this process?

Any help appreciated !! Thanks !

Last edited by raunchz; 3rd March 2010 at 09:29.
raunchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:36   #676
oilman
Established Member

The best oil to use for all stages of running in is the Millers CRO as that's what it's specifcally designed for.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60229-mi...ng-in-oil.aspx

You want to change it after about 50 miles, then 200, then 500 and then put the Pro S 5w-40 in at 1000 miles. The Citroen filters will be fine.

Don't use any synthetics (even cheap ones) during running in as they lubricate too well and the engine will either take a lot longer to bed in or you end up with glazed bores. Running in is about using friction to wear the rings and cylinders to the same shape. Using a oil that prevents that friction is an expensive waste of time.

Cheers

Tim
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:02   #677
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

Hope this is the right place to post this, was going to get an oil change from Kwik Fit and they said the car should use fully synthetic oil, where as I thought semi would be alot better, as did my dad. What does everyone think? Semi or fully? Car is only used for the road.
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:04   #678
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
The best oil to use for all stages of running in is the Millers CRO as that's what it's specifcally designed for.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60229-mi...ng-in-oil.aspx

You want to change it after about 50 miles, then 200, then 500 and then put the Pro S 5w-40 in at 1000 miles. The Citroen filters will be fine.

Don't use any synthetics (even cheap ones) during running in as they lubricate too well and the engine will either take a lot longer to bed in or you end up with glazed bores. Running in is about using friction to wear the rings and cylinders to the same shape. Using a oil that prevents that friction is an expensive waste of time.

Cheers

Tim
Spot on !!

Thanks very much !! I know where to come for my running in oil then
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:21   #679
fdrightup
Infrequent Poster

fdrightup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
Hope this is the right place to post this, was going to get an oil change from Kwik Fit and they said the car should use fully synthetic oil, where as I thought semi would be alot better, as did my dad. What does everyone think? Semi or fully? Car is only used for the road.
fully synthetic is loads better than semi synthetic
fdrightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:38   #680
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
Weird situation, but I agree with Kwik Fit . A synthetic is a better oil than a semi and will give you better protection, but just check what they do as although they're offering some really good prices, we've heard they're using the wrong grades of oil etc.