Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 22nd September 2008, 20:52   #1
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Alex_3589 will become famous soon enough
Default Stroker kit and ITB's

I know people are put off running ITB's on an 8v engine as you need uber high revs to get any real power and then its a lot harder to drive due to the peaky power band.
But recently iv been hearing about a stoker kit that increases to a 1.8, would love to try something like this out on standard inlet to start with and a decent cam and then in future put some throttle bodies on. The stoker kit should bring the power band down a bit and increase torque.

Any info on these kits?
Prices?
Power/torque increases?
Driveability?
Management?
etc.
Cheers
Alex_3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 20:56   #2
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

unless your going into competition i wouldnt bother, if you want the powr then get 16v.
the stroker kit alone is over £2000.then im sure you need to buy special rods??

low down grunt would be better but we are not talking mind bogglingly different.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:08   #3
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

i thought the kit came with the crank, pistons and rods?
iv always wanted to put a nice cam in my vtr with a decent filter, piper 4-1 etc and forged pistons for if i do go for throttle bodies. but then i thought, why not save for the whole stroker kit, cam, manifold, bit of headwork, get that mapped then have a play with throttle bodies in the future...
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:13   #4
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_3589 View Post
i thought the kit came with the crank, pistons and rods?
iv always wanted to put a nice cam in my vtr with a decent filter, piper 4-1 etc and forged pistons for if i do go for throttle bodies. but then i thought, why not save for the whole stroker kit, cam, manifold, bit of headwork, get that mapped then have a play with throttle bodies in the future...
it might come with them buddy im not 100% sure?

if you want power (all this tb's, stroker kits cam suggests) then get a 16v engine and build from there. it has more power and torque to start with. price for price then the 16v will always win...

if you insist on keeping 8v, id just charge it, it would cost less money lol.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:21   #5
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

cheers for the advice and opinion mate.
im stubborn to stay 8v lol. always loved the old 8v rallye's so just want to stick with it.
Im not after stupid power, just at the end of the day, something different, quick-ish and sound like a torque monster.
Iv looked into charging, both ways. Supercharger will be the boost of choice if i go for that.
Was just wondering if i could get a nippy 8v N/A.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:28   #6
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

in that case, a nice specc'd tb'd 8v with a fruity cam can give you a lot of enjoyment. it will sound awesome aswell. for what you need i really couldnt justify the stroker kit but you can still have a potent little engine without going mad.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:37   #7
gd16
Frequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): S/c VT!?
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
gd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud of

Normally the stroker crank is circa £1k, and the kit (rods, pistons, crank) is £2k. However these prices are likely to exclude VAT - and be a lot more with the price of metal going up recently.

The crank, rods and pistons would transplant straight from a VTR to a VTS at a later date if need be. And remember you could oversize the pistons for more CC - but remember not to go to large if you're thinking of boost at a later date.

I looked into stroking + s/c earlier this year - however i couldn't do it the way i had planned, and had spent too much by that time in development/testing in order to warrant buying the 'off the shelf' stroker crank. So going 16v instead for probably better gains.
gd16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:46   #8
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

didnt realise it was over 3k. i thought it was 2k+vat for the lot...
would love a throttle bodied 8v, but wouldnt know where to start as to which cam to use...
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:51   #9
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

Get it done!
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:54   #10
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

the stroker kit is expensive but its a good piece of kit. Does require a small overbore of the block.

We're going to add them to site shortly .. but you are looking at around the following price to get a 1.8

4 Cylinder Billet Steel Crankshafts £1000 + Vat
4 Cylinder Set of H Section Forged Conrods £499 + Vat
4 Cylinder Set of Forged Pistons £475 + Vat

Last edited by KamRacing; 22nd September 2008 at 21:57.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:07   #11
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

thats not too bad really, will it make a decent difference on a cam'd 8v engine?
and then with itb's in time....
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:16   #12
gd16
Frequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): S/c VT!?
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
gd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud ofgd16 has much to be proud of

Sorry - that's what i meant.

£2k + VAT for the kit (crank, pistons and rods)
£1k + VAT for just the crank.
gd16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:23   #13
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

no bother, had me scared for a minute there lol.
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:50   #14
nassso
Infrequent Poster

nassso will become famous soon enough

For the money needed for stroker kit + ITB + Camshaft and standalone you will build very good turbo engine. Turbo engine have better power/money ratio than the N/A engine so i don't know why you want to spend your money on N/A 8v.
nassso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:12   #15
tweeqd
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX GT 16v turbo 6 speed with NOS 205 gti6 E 320
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
tweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nice

i was going to use the stroker kit with my 8v turbo engine but after speaking to DP they rae not to sure on reliability with the stroker kit for the TU when used agressivly
tweeqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:46   #16
GRPerformance
L-plater

GRPerformance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassso View Post
For the money needed for stroker kit + ITB + Camshaft and standalone you will build very good turbo engine. Turbo engine have better power/money ratio than the N/A engine so i don't know why you want to spend your money on N/A 8v.
IMO turbo's are always cheaper, more reliable and faster than N/A engine's, but some people want to stay n/a.
GRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:13   #17
nassso
Infrequent Poster

nassso will become famous soon enough

Spend the stroker kit money for gearbox and driveshafts if you want drag car. This is the weakest part of this cars. 1600cc with nice boost is more than enough combined with light weight of the car and nice transmission.
nassso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 19:07   #18
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

any ideas on what cam could be used for decent power?
piper 300?
will it work on standard inlet for time being?
Old 24th September 2008, 19:59   #19
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

you could run it but i would be better to stick it on last
bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 22:54   #20
Alex_3589
Regular Poster

is that a good cam to use?
i know a lot of people use piper 285 but i want to go one more if you know what i mean to get a bit more use out of the throttle bodies...
any other alternatives?