Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 3rd April 2018, 14:45   #1
Bodeka
L-plater

Bodeka is on a distinguished road
Default Saxo grinded to a halt and won't start

Hi everyone, got a problem with my Saxo, so if anyone can lend a hand would be much appreciated.

Got a 1.1 Saxo with around 110k miles, was driving to work and noticed a knocking noise driver side, would happen every now and again. As I got closer to work, whenever the engine would idle (at a red light or waiting at a roundabout) I'd hear a crunching sound - similar to when you don't completely put the car in gear. This sound would go as you drove it a bit but as I got into the work car park, it started happen more frequently and at any number of revs. Managed to get her into a parking space, and it was idling very rough, sounding like it wanted to die. And then, it died. She now won't start, and makes a high pitched sound when I turn the key, like a high pitched drill. What could it be, and more importantly, how much? Is it fixable myself?

Cheers people thanks for your help.
Bodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:15   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodeka View Post
Hi everyone, got a problem with my Saxo, so if anyone can lend a hand would be much appreciated.

Got a 1.1 Saxo with around 110k miles, was driving to work and noticed a knocking noise driver side, would happen every now and again. As I got closer to work, whenever the engine would idle (at a red light or waiting at a roundabout) I'd hear a crunching sound - similar to when you don't completely put the car in gear. This sound would go as you drove it a bit but as I got into the work car park, it started happen more frequently and at any number of revs. Managed to get her into a parking space, and it was idling very rough, sounding like it wanted to die. And then, it died. She now won't start, and makes a high pitched sound when I turn the key, like a high pitched drill. What could it be, and more importantly, how much? Is it fixable myself?

Cheers people thanks for your help.
Sounds like the timing belt has frayed and snapped. The noise would be the bits of timing belt hitting the cover.

Remove the top part of the timing cover (2 10mm bolts) and check the belt.
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:23   #3
Bodeka
L-plater

Where exactly is this located and is it easily accessible? I'm quite new to working on cars so sorry for the noob questions, and thanks for your reply.

Would go out and have a look but it's currently at work, need to tow it.
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:38   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Where exactly is this located and is it easily accessible? I'm quite new to working on cars so sorry for the noob questions, and thanks for your reply.

Would go out and have a look but it's currently at work, need to tow it.
Looking at the engine bay, it's the plastic cover on the left of the engine. it covers the camshaft pulley and belt.
Old 4th April 2018, 07:17   #5
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

I've had a seized alternator stop the car from turning on in the past. Hopefully something like that is to blame!
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 12:02   #6
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Cambelt, RIP saxo.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 20:37   #7
Bodeka
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Cambelt, RIP saxo.
Hopefully it isn't that, the car is still at work at the moment. It was on it's last legs, been in the family since it was made in 2003. It's only a 1.1, was my aunties and then my mothers, and now it's been passed down to me for my first car.

Wasn't really taken care off by my mum and auntie but if it's dead I'll be sad. I'm going to look at a VTR tomorrow as my first car (that I've paid for all by myself). The plan was to buy that and tow the saxo home and try and fix it myself (get some experience under my belt, can't make it much worse).

If I don't buy the VTR I'll look into fixing this. If it is the cambelt, is it truly RIP?
Old 6th April 2018, 14:10   #8
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
since 2003 - Wasn't really taken care off

If that is 15 years without the cambelt being replaced at least twice, then it's a 10 year overdue death sentence.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:28   #9
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Wont cost you much to stick another engine in it if you really want to learn something.. lol
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 14:25   #10
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hopefully it isn't that, the car is still at work at the moment. It was on it's last legs, been in the family since it was made in 2003. It's only a 1.1, was my aunties and then my mothers, and now it's been passed down to me for my first car.

Wasn't really taken care off by my mum and auntie but if it's dead I'll be sad. I'm going to look at a VTR tomorrow as my first car (that I've paid for all by myself). The plan was to buy that and tow the saxo home and try and fix it myself (get some experience under my belt, can't make it much worse).

If I don't buy the VTR I'll look into fixing this. If it is the cambelt, is it truly RIP?
Well rough cost for getting it fixed at a garage would be £350-400.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 18:47   #11
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

This has made me decide to change my timing belt on my 1.1 this week. 66k miles on a 52 plate and unsure if it's ever been done.

Is the water pump necessary and is it a difficult job?
Old 7th April 2018, 18:50   #12
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

For good measure,yes do the water pump.Sometimes they put up a fight to get out.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo67 For This Useful Post:
Old 7th April 2018, 21:42   #13
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Cheers pal. See how much they are at my local parts store. Changed the original timing belt on my old 1.1 desire at 12 years old and 133,000 miles. I was planning what I expected to be its second change but my dad hadn't bothered to change it once. A rhythmic tic tock sound forced my hand. The belt was missing 10 teeth and I still don't know how nothing was damaged!
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post:
Old 7th April 2018, 23:11   #14
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Cheers pal. See how much they are at my local parts store. Changed the original timing belt on my old 1.1 desire at 12 years old and 133,000 miles. I was planning what I expected to be its second change but my dad hadn't bothered to change it once. A rhythmic tic tock sound forced my hand. The belt was missing 10 teeth and I still don't know how nothing was damaged!
Water pump is about £15 last time I looked for a Circoli pump. They're fine quality.

haha hardy old engines! Remember these engines are designed for idiots, because nobody who is sane would ever buy a French car
Old 8th April 2018, 00:28   #15
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
Water pump is about £15 last time I looked for a Circoli pump. They're fine quality.

haha hardy old engines! Remember these engines are designed for idiots, because nobody who is sane would ever buy a French car
I think the saxo is a little gem of a car. Very reliable if maintained properly and very cheap to repair when things go wrong. Tyres are cheap as chips and my insurance is about £200 For the year. It happily sits for weeks at a time then fires up first time no problem. Brilliant car to learn fit vehicle repair on too. I've replaced the entire rear assembly for £100 on my old one which got up to 138,000 before it was retired due to rust under the rear end. Never once had something engine related go. As I said the original timing belt lasted over 130,000 and 12 year before a few teeth came off of it. Found them to be absolutely bomb proof. Serviced regularly and hit the red line quite often when joining the motorway to clean out the cobwebs. Brakes tend to be the let down on them though. May need to put new front caliper on it in the summer but it still passed its mot straight off and the exhaust snapped 3 miles (no exageration) after leaving the mot place faith the certificate. Found it hilarious as I already had a new exhaust waiting to go on as it had started blowing.
Old 8th April 2018, 07:28   #16
Bodeka
L-plater

Quote:
I think the saxo is a little gem of a car. Very reliable if maintained properly and very cheap to repair when things go wrong.
I can attest to this, when I got my saxo from my mum I did an oil change. Was under the car with a drain pan, undid the bolt and the tiniest drip came out. This is at 100k and I doubt my mums ever topped up oil in a while.

The other night when you boys diagnosed it is a cambelt I asked my mum if she'd had it done, the answer was no. Car is getting towed tomorrow to a local garage for an autopsy. Im then gunna take off the badge as a momento and bid her farewell. Only drove it 9 months.

Today though is a new day, and I'm going to see a really clean VTR with 85k on the clock. Can't wait
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodeka For This Useful Post:
Old 8th April 2018, 11:39   #17
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I can attest to this, when I got my saxo from my mum I did an oil change. Was under the car with a drain pan, undid the bolt and the tiniest drip came out. This is at 100k and I doubt my mums ever topped up oil in a while.

The other night when you boys diagnosed it is a cambelt I asked my mum if she'd had it done, the answer was no. Car is getting towed tomorrow to a local garage for an autopsy. Im then gunna take off the badge as a momento and bid her farewell. Only drove it 9 months.

Today though is a new day, and I'm going to see a really clean VTR with 85k on the clock. Can't wait
I drove my parents saxo on and off for about 8 years and they had got it from new. I absolutely abused that car. Almost rolled it doing a J turn on a wet field once. Bent the rear axle being a plank on a roundabout. Got it up to 120mph on the Speedo drafting a golf on the autobahn. (115mph on the Sat nav). Also covered 198 miles in 2 hours with a minimum of 96mph. The car didn't skip a beat. Accidentally jumped it a few times, smashing the sump on the floor with just a scrape on it. The car just wanted more. When I had taught the girlfriend to drive we got her a blue saxo and I was driving the old beat up silver saxo.

When I wash my rear windows it squirts out the front and when I wash the front it squirts out the front and dribbles out the back. I have a new pump from the breakers already. Got a reasonable to do list for the car but it's cheap and I have a few parts already in stock. I normally haven't got a clue when I start a job and just take my time and end up good in the end!
Old 9th April 2018, 10:50   #18
Bodeka
L-plater

Since I no longer have a car, I went to buy myself this VTR. 84K, FSH to 75K, got it for £900 but needs about £250 of work done to it. What do you think? It's immaculate inside and out.

Old 10th April 2018, 13:31   #19
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Needs that front grill returning to standard and get the wheels powder coated black or gun metal.

Have you checked for rust behind the rear wheels on the boot floor and under the ecu?
Old 10th April 2018, 16:22   #20
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I drove my parents saxo on and off for about 8 years and they had got it from new. I absolutely abused that car. Almost rolled it doing a J turn on a wet field once. Bent the rear axle being a plank on a roundabout. Got it up to 120mph on the Speedo drafting a golf on the autobahn. (115mph on the Sat nav). Also covered 198 miles in 2 hours with a minimum of 96mph. The car didn't skip a beat. Accidentally jumped it a few times, smashing the sump on the floor with just a scrape on it. The car just wanted more. When I had taught the girlfriend to drive we got her a blue saxo and I was driving the old beat up silver saxo.

When I wash my rear windows it squirts out the front and when I wash the front it squirts out the front and dribbles out the back. I have a new pump from the breakers already. Got a reasonable to do list for the car but it's cheap and I have a few parts already in stock. I normally haven't got a clue when I start a job and just take my time and end up good in the end!
Glad you're not lending my car
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote