Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 29th April 2008, 01:03   #1
albinodub
Regular Poster

Car(s): 1996 Golf GTI 16vG60
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
albinodub has a spectacular aura aboutalbinodub has a spectacular aura aboutalbinodub has a spectacular aura about
Default '99 vts oil temp

i've noticed the oil temp increasing the faster i go, not just by a little, but sitting at 65-70mph its fine anything over that, sitting on the autobahn at 80-90 it rises to 3/4

is this common with phase 1 vts?

i have a dodgey middle box on my exhaust and have thought maybe its stopping the gasses getting out quick enough, so raising the temps....

or

do these engines benefit from added oil coolers?

cheers in advance

mark
Old 29th April 2008, 07:43   #2
ReV0h_VTS
Infrequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Black Saxo VTS mkII
ReV0h_VTS is on a distinguished road

my VTS is doing exactly the same......not sure what it is tho
got it booked into a garage fror a few other bits on friday.....so i'll ask while i'm there if no-one else replies
ReV0h_VTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 09:18   #3
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

When was the oil last changed? What grade of oil are you using? Is the oil level low?

It doesn't sound that far off normal to me. Normal driving should see the gauge at just over halfway. Motorway driving will bring it up a little over halfway, and hammering it at high speed will take it up to 3/4s. If it goes over 3/4s and gets to the red area, this is when you need to start worrying. Anything below that, and it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 13:46   #4
albinodub
Regular Poster

albinodub has a spectacular aura aboutalbinodub has a spectacular aura aboutalbinodub has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReV0h_VTS View Post
my VTS is doing exactly the same......not sure what it is tho
got it booked into a garage fror a few other bits on friday.....so i'll ask while i'm there if no-one else replies
cheers dude, would be appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
When was the oil last changed? What grade of oil are you using? Is the oil level low?

It doesn't sound that far off normal to me. Normal driving should see the gauge at just over halfway. Motorway driving will bring it up a little over halfway, and hammering it at high speed will take it up to 3/4s. If it goes over 3/4s and gets to the red area, this is when you need to start worrying. Anything below that, and it's fine.

it's done it before and after the oil change, maybe the oil is too thin i think it was 5w40.

surely it shouldnt rise and fall that easy
Old 1st May 2008, 13:02   #5
VTS123
Regular Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS
VTS123 will become famous soon enoughVTS123 will become famous soon enough

This is normal mate. Nothing to worry about.
VTS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 13:19   #6
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

5W40 full Synthetic is spot on.

What do you mean by rising and falling easily?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 1st May 2008, 13:20   #7
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

Does anyone else find their engine quite tappy with 5w40?
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 17:51   #8
albinodub
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
5W40 full Synthetic is spot on.

What do you mean by rising and falling easily?
well as soo as i go over 70 the temp rises pretty quick, then as soon as i slow down it drops fast too...

i'm living in italy at the moment and the speed limits are higher over here than in the uk, so wouldnt mind it staying in the middle of the gauge, scares me a bit to see the needle over half
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:34   #9
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

It should be over half though. Nothing to worry about at all, honest!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:36   #10
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbastard View Post
Does anyone else find their engine quite tappy with 5w40?
Mine was noisier with OW40. If the engine / oil is very hot, a 0W40 won't make the engine sound any noisier than a 10W40, as the viscosity will be very similar. However, when the engine / oil is very cold, there will be a slightly bigger difference between the two oils as far as viscosity is concerned.
Quote:
Quote: