Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 21st July 2012, 09:39   #1
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of
Default Macbook Pro or Sony Vaio

Hello

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I have narrowed it down to a Sony Vaio or a Macbook Pro.

I have never used the Mac OS but have owned a Vaio before and thought it was great.

I could get a similar spec Vaio (with a 15" screen) for about 1/3 less than the Macbook but the Apple products seem to hold their value better and the support is better (judging by my iphone).

Windows pisses me off and always has, whereas I love the iOS on the iphone.

Is it worth paying the extra for the Macbook?
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 09:57   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Once you go Mac....

Find a mate who's a student and buy the MBP through the Apple education shop: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing

And even if I couldn't get a discount, I'd still have the mac over the vaio.

Quote:
I have never used the Mac OS
It's a doodle, but keep in mind you have to close the application instead of the window, like you would with an iphone. You'd have to relearn your keyboard shortcuts if you previously done that in a windows environment and that's about it. Enjoy something that's fast and stable and no need for software updates every 2 days.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 10:05   #3
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

I am swayed by the Mac, mainly for resale value and battery life.

My iphone 4 was still worth 50% of what it cost after 2 years of use and it seems their laptops hold value just as well.

I can get 10% off through my company as well
Old 21st July 2012, 10:09   #4
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

I went for the top 13" MBP just after christmas, absolutely love it.

Everything just seems to be better so I'm perfectly happy. If there is ever any software updates, they don't seem to cause any bugs or crashes in the OS like nearly every single windows update used to with my old laptop.

Do it, you wont regret it.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 15:01   #5
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

MacBook pro IMO, since switching to an iMac I've been much happier, I've had to use windows machines again when away and really dislike the os.

Apple student discount can be blagged easily if clever
Old 21st July 2012, 18:02   #6
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

If you get a MBP make sure you get atleast the 15 inch. How they call the 13inch MBPs is beyond me.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 18:05   #7
lewismonteith
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 1992 MX-5 1.6 SE
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
lewismonteith is on a distinguished road

I got a 15", best thing I ever bought. I'd never buy a windows based laptop again!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
lewismonteith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 18:43   #8
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Seems to be an overwhelming vote for MBP.

I do like the look of the Vaio and the same spec MBP is actually double the price after researching further.

Hmmmmmm....
Old 21st July 2012, 22:59   #9
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

MBP is worth the premium IMO

Don't regret buying mine at all

+ the same spec MPB will run far better than any windows machine
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:48   #10
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Cheers guys, I went for the Vaio in the end.

I wanted a 15" screen and simply couldn't justify £1500 on a laptop.

The Vaio was £579 and came with Core i5 (2.5ghz), 4GB RAM, 650GB hard drive and a 1GB dedicated graphics card.

I am going to get another 4GB of RAM to take it to 8Gb (another £25) but its miles better than my old laptop so I am happy enough and I still have a spare £1000 which will cover next years car insurance and tax