Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 7th August 2011, 08:10   #1
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of
Default Laptop soundcard

Basically, been recording my music from my laptop, and the quality is awful.

Would buying an external soundcard be the best option sound-quality wise? If so, can somebody direct me to some half-decent ones?

Muchos Love x
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 16:00   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
Basically, been recording my music from my laptop, and the quality is awful.
please define "recording my music from my laptop". Chances are you didn't set your software and windows correctly in the first place
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 19:51   #3
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Recording 80min sets via Sony SoundForge & the quality is bad, way to much ambient noise..

Cable going from mixer (rec out) into the mic slot on lappy..& yes I'm useless when it comes to connections n sheeeettt!
Old 8th August 2011, 13:03   #4
Matty_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS / Twingo RS133
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Matty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to behold

An external sound card could possibly increase the sound quality. It may also be due to the signal path maybe the level of the output is to high. Although it is probably the sound card in your laptop isn't really meant for stuff like that.

There are loads of external ones, for my laptop I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro which is pretty good for location recordings.

You will want to be looking for quality of the sound card i.e. numbers like 24bit/96kHz would be ideal and connectivity.

Im assume the output from the mixer will be a phono cable (red and white plugs) so it would be best to buy one with at least 2 Jack inputs so you can make a stereo recordings.

From there you would need a phono to jack cables to connect them to the sound card and from there the input on the sound card should work at line level (level set by the mixing desk) Hopefully that should give you a decent signal into your laptop.

I hope that helps.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:16   #5
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Was looking at something like this;

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...ett-8i6--85209

& yeah mate helps alot
Old 8th August 2011, 13:29   #6
Matty_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS / Twingo RS133
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Matty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
Was looking at something like this;

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...ett-8i6--85209

& yeah mate helps alot
That would be good, focusrite is quite a name brand though so has a price tag, there will be cheaper ones that do exactly the same.

If its just for what you said then you don't really need the quality pre amps that come with this as the signal level is coming from the desk and will not need any more volume added to it (that is what pre amps do).
Old 9th August 2011, 01:47   #7
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

your input is probably set to microphone instead of line, hence the shit recording.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:25   #8
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Dunno how to change it in SoundForge!

I'll have a gander.
Old 10th August 2011, 08:43   #9
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Check your windows sound preferences first, I'd bet a tenner you're still set to mic.

Quote:
Dunno how to change it in SoundForge!
or you could google "soundforge recording tutorial"

http://www.the-dj-equipment-guide.co...irst-time.html
Old 10th August 2011, 11:46   #10
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

I've done what ya said Manu, and my primary recording device was indeed set as the internal mic, hence the cack sound.

I've set the primary rec-device as 'stereo mix', but its not picking up any sound now;

Audio Preferences in SoundForge:

Audio Host; MME
Playback Devices; Speakers & Headphones (IDT High Def)
Recording Devices; Stereo Mix (IDT High Def)
2 Channels (Stereo)

And connection wise jack to phono going from mic slot in laptop to back of mixer (booth).

Anything I'm doing wrong?!
Old 10th August 2011, 12:53   #11
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

You need to set it to line in?
Old 11th August 2011, 08:43   #12
Manu
Saxperience Addict

yes indeed, set it to line in. You should be fine after that.

Quote:
And connection wise jack to phono going from mic slot in laptop to back of mixer (booth).
don't forget to turn up the volume on the booth out, and leave some headroom while recording.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:15   #13
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

I set the rec-device to Microsoft Sound Mapper and it seems miles better..think that's it.