Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 11th October 2011, 18:59   #1
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road
Default Replaced laptop screen, now dead.

Evening.

Ordered a brand new replacement screen for my mums laptop as she stood on it (she's been using it for like 6 months since then so it's unrelated to this - that just damaged the screen so she's been using a external monitor). Anyway, I ordered the new one of eBay, took the fascia of the laptop, removed the screen and the inverter, hooked it back up, screwed it all back together and now it won't turn on.

Utterly stumped tbh, I took the battery out before I did anything, and 4 screws near the hinge that screw into the bottom, but realised this was unnecessary and put them back in, as well as two flat headed screws in the battery bay. The new screen fits fine, the inverter fits fine, and although they two screens are numbered differently I am confident it is the correct screen, not only was it listed as such on the eBay listing, but it fits perfectly and this isn't my main concern as I'm pretty sure it would still turn on even if the screen wasn't connected at all. But it has nothing, no power, not even when the charger is plugged in - No LED lights up anymore to indicate this. There are four wires between the screen and the main body of the laptop, one leads to the screen as is connected, one to the webcam above the screen (built in) and two which just look like earths and are connected to metal plates. None of these are chafed are broken.

It seems stupid because I haven't touched anything near the power supply or anything that I can think would interfere with it and it was working 10 mins before I turned it of. It's even more annoying because I didn't foresee it being absolutely dead - The screen not turning on/faulty/broken? - Sure, but not absolutely no life.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L650

Any clever monkeys care to point my in the right direction?

Last edited by Bound; 11th October 2011 at 19:02.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 22:11   #2
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

When you were fiddling with the inverter connector cable, you may have knocked loose a wire on the motherboard?
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 13:50   #3
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

Does the transformer have a light on it. Just to rule out fuse blowing.

Last edited by Alex; 14th October 2011 at 13:33.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 09:18   #4
Cornish_Mafia
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo Furio 1.4 (2000)
Cornish_Mafia is on a distinguished road

Im assuming that your disconnected the ribbon cables and all the bits from the monitor side of things rather then taking up the keyboard to get at it from the motherboard side? As you said really, the laptop should still be able to run with the monitor dosconnected. Im assuming that you have tried with the battery in and out while charging from the mains?

Oh im also assuming that when you turn the computer on there is NOTHING? no sounds from fans, no lights and no beeps?
Cornish_Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:42   #5
chester-lad
Frequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr
chester-lad is on a distinguished road

hi have a look at the dc socket it plugs in the motherboard with a wire maybe that has come off .

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/cdesaixda.jpg
chester-lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 15:19   #6
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, cheers for all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
When you were fiddling with the inverter connector cable, you may have knocked loose a wire on the motherboard?
Not sure what you mean bud, I didn't get near the motherboard, I just took the fasica of the screen, took the old screen out, took the ribbon cable/inverter connector thing out of the old screen and plugged the new one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Does the transformer have a light on it. Just to rule out fuse bowing.
This transformer doesn't have any lights unfortunately. But like I say - It was working 10 mins before I turned it of and switched the screens. So I'd be surprised if it was the transformer, I'll try another one though just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish_Mafia View Post
Im assuming that your disconnected the ribbon cables and all the bits from the monitor side of things rather then taking up the keyboard to get at it from the motherboard side? As you said really, the laptop should still be able to run with the monitor dosconnected. Im assuming that you have tried with the battery in and out while charging from the mains?

Oh im also assuming that when you turn the computer on there is NOTHING? no sounds from fans, no lights and no beeps?
That's correct, two halves of the laptop - I only touched the top half where the screen is, never went near the bottom half of the laptop where everything else is apart from removing 6 screws from the bottom cover near the hinge but I put them back in, I think that's only the plastic shell anyway. But yeah, When you press the power button - No lights, no sounds, no response, nothing, absolutely dead, it won't register the transformer being plugged in either (a light should come on the front panel). I've tried leaving the battery out for hours, putting it in, with and without the charger and battery and both together etc. Still nothing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester-lad View Post
hi have a look at the dc socket it plugs in the motherboard with a wire maybe that has come off .
Cheers mate, I'm hope it doesn't come to having to strip it down further but this sounds plausible as I mean.. It's gotta be something simple/stupid.. Like the power button or a cable coming lose somehow after I (for no reason) un screwed 6 of the screws into the bottom of the laptop. Maybe there was pressure holding some ridiculous thing together. Who knows.

Cheers lads.
Old 13th October 2011, 15:34   #7
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Well I remember when I replaced the inverter on my laptop, it has two cables coming off of it, one to the screen ribbon cable, and one going from the screen into the main body of the laptop. Maybe this part of the cable has knocked something loose from the motherboard (i.e. another cable) , does that make more sense?
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote