Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 27th February 2012, 18:00   #1
m0nk3yb0y94
Regular Poster

m0nk3yb0y94 is on a distinguished road
Default upscaling hdmi dvd players

Has anyone got one of these? Was going to buy a blu ray player but dont wanna pay the amount of money they are thought geting a 1080p dvd player might be a cheaper option
m0nk3yb0y94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 18:11   #2
Tony
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Tony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud ofTony has much to be proud of

Aren't they about £60 now? That's not too expensive. Add just under a ton to that and you can get a PS3.

I got one of those types of DVD players a few years back and although it does a good job, the upscalling doesn't compare to Blu ray quality.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 22:07   #3
0rang3peel
Saxperience Addict
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): 306 diesel shed broken vts
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
0rang3peel is on a distinguished road

you can pick bluray players up for like £40, so no point
Old 28th February 2012, 12:22   #4
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen BR players for as low as 40 quid (asda) and decent brands starting from 60 quid upwards. The upscaling on mine (samsung) does work wonders, best picture I have seen so far in digital. My previous player (onkyo) did upscale but wasn't as good on contrast and colours, still was good though.

Some years ago I had a Marantz dvd player that has an amazing picture quality despite no upscaling and no digital output. Sometimes it's down to what you buy and I do confirm the obvious: bottom barrel cheapo dvd players don't have a picture quality as good as brand players. You get what you pay for, buy cheap buy twice yada yada...

With 60-65 quid you can easily find a samsung or philips BR player that upscales. It doesn't mean you have to buy bluray discs anyway. They're still expensive and on most the picture quality isn't that great because it still is recent technology. Back to the early days of DVD, the picture wasn't exactly great on most discs, the warner bros ones were actually shitty, while some others were only letterbox 4:3 and pcm stereo sound instead of real widescreen and dolby digital.

Last edited by Manu; 28th February 2012 at 12:34.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote