Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroėn: Citroėn Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 26th March 2007, 14:46   #1
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!
Question Home entertainment system (old meets new)

Ok, almost posted this in the ICE forum but i suppose its better suited in here.

The Story:

We have ordered a new TV for the lounge so my dad has staked his claim on the old plasma tv. He has had a whole new unit built up in his room and is now trying to combine everything (pc, cd player, dvd, video, tv, record deck and possibly a few other niknaks) into the one audio system.

I work in IT and am pretty good with this sort of thing in general having successfully set up our lounge & my room etc with multiple systems all playing nicely together. The problem however is the record deck isnt amped. 2 photo leads come straight out the back of it and even when plugged in2 a cd player or the tv the volume needs to be put up full to even be able to hear the record from accross the room.

Thus far i have never used (i dont even know the word for them, seem to remember that sayer boy talking about em a while back) a tuner box(?) something to combine audio components together and monitor/adjust them etc. I understand these also allow multiple audi inputs to them in various different formats too.

I think this is the route we will need to go down but i dont even know where to start with it so any extra info you need ask and ill append it to this thread.

The Task:

Fire away with your suggestions as to how i connect this record deck up properly & how in general i should go about connecting everything to a single audio system.

Cheers,
Jason

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:31   #2
faulknerm
Infrequent Poster

faulknerm is on a distinguished road

You should be able to run the turntable through a preamp and then on into your main amp (be that the TV's integrated amp, hifi, whatever...)
faulknerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:35   #3
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Thus far i have never used (i dont even know the word for them, seem to remember that sayer boy talking about em a while back) a tuner box(?) something to combine audio components together and monitor/adjust them etc. I understand these also allow multiple audi inputs to them in various different formats too.
I think you want an A/V unit man. Dont know what a tuner box is lol.

or you could pre-amp them

But yeah i think it was lukes thread about surround sound and hooking them all together
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:38   #4
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Just so I've got this right...
lob everything that outputs audio into one of these..so they go through the same speakers???

This is bit overkill this particular model but you digital inputs as well as analouge which the a/v unit then amps to the speakers
Old 27th March 2007, 23:07   #5
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

yeh i think thats what i meant ads, ill have a look at those online.

Can either of you guys elaborate on putting it through a 'pre amp' ?

Old 27th March 2007, 23:09   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

have a look at the sony STR DE range... should be what your dad needs
Old 29th March 2007, 10:43   #7
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

What you actually need is a phono preamp (seperate box between deck and amp). Any decent hifi store should be able to supply you with one for between £20 and £xxxxx

The problem is a turntable generally outputs at 2.5mv and a "line" input is set to accept 200mv. Therefore you need to boost the signal from the deck to the amp.

You will only need to do this if you amp has no input labelled as "phono"

If you need any more help PM me

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.

Last edited by craig180; 29th March 2007 at 10:49.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 11:38   #8
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Weird, i coulda swore i replied to you.

Cheers craig, i done a little web based research and ordered a little pre amp from eBay which has just arrived. My dad had lead me to believe that he could have plugged his turntable into any of the input on the back of his old stereo system, but iv come to realise he is mistaken

Iv never had a turntable or a big old stereo system (being such a young-un ) so had no idea they output such a low signal, tbh i thought his damn deck was broken

I'll let you all know how it goes when iv tried pluggin it all in