Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 19th September 2018, 12:50   #1
Vinootje
Infrequent Poster

Vinootje is on a distinguished road
Default LEDbar

i want to install a LED bar on my saxo, i am still debating about where to mount it, the best place would be in the bumper cutting out the grill and place it there but that is a no-go for me.

What i have been thinking of is:
Drilling 2 holes in the lip, making 2 L brackets from metal that i will tighten behind the lip and secure through thos 2 holes, a short flat metal piece will come out under the lip and will secure my led bar on that. Any other thoughts?
The ledbar is 32inch curved spot+combo
Vinootje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:03   #2
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Only problem with that,would be stones flying up & shattering the leds,or water getting in.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 18:42   #3
Vinootje
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Only problem with that,would be stones flying up & shattering the leds,or water getting in.
That is pretty clever actually, i have no idea how these ledbars handle stones. What about the mounting? i was afraid that if i secure 2 L brackets to my bumperlip it will start breaking but that piece of the bumper is pretty solid and has some flex to it.
Old 19th September 2018, 19:45   #4
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI - 106 GTI shell - New 106 Rallye shell
karl_mh is on a distinguished road

Depending what your intention is with the light bar but from my experience of using lamp pods and corner pods on cars my personal opinion would be to mount higher up for a better spread of light.
Old 19th September 2018, 22:29   #5
Vinootje
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_mh View Post
Depending what your intention is with the light bar but from my experience of using lamp pods and corner pods on cars my personal opinion would be to mount higher up for a better spread of light.
Well i want a lightbar because my highbeam is useless, tryed different H1 lights but no results i was hoping for. I wanted to mount a lightbar in the cutout under the numberplate but in order to mount a light bar there i would to clear that hole out what i dont want to do, was thinking of mounting and i think the one i mentioned before is the easiest and best?

Drilling a hole left and right in the black bumperlip piece, make a L bracket from metal and attatch it to the bumperlip via a M6 or M8 bolt and nut, and than mount the lightbar on the L bracket which comes under the bumperlip.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:05   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Try fitting osram nightbreaker(headlight bulbs)Had them on my saxo & swear by them mate.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 23:48   #7
Vinootje
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Try fitting osram nightbreaker(headlight bulbs)Had them on my saxo & swear by them mate.
Well the ledbar suddently came in the mail today, expected to get it monday next week. Got a local company bend for me 2 aluminium strips, tomorrow will be drilling 2 holes in my bumper lip to mount those aluminium strips and mount the LEDbar on those brackets, will later order some locknuts for my ledbar and hope no thief comes by with a angle grinder
Old 21st September 2018, 11:13   #8
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

best placing for a bar is just above the grille, too low and you just bounce light off the road in front of you, look at where WRC cars mount their auxillary lighting!

the bottom of the bumper is far too flexible and susceptible to damage as mentioned.

the only time you need a lamp that low is for driving in fog, where a multi angle light bar is useless, you need the specific fog unit with its wide beam angles for that.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 12:22   #9
Vinootje
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
best placing for a bar is just above the grille, too low and you just bounce light off the road in front of you, look at where WRC cars mount their auxillary lighting!

the bottom of the bumper is far too flexible and susceptible to damage as mentioned.

the only time you need a lamp that low is for driving in fog, where a multi angle light bar is useless, you need the specific fog unit with its wide beam angles for that.
Thanks for your advice! The ledbar is already mounted since i got it in the mail. I went for the mounting like i mentioned before, 2 holes in the black bumperlip part, with 2 metal brackets that hold my ledbar. have drive already 200km i think and nothing happend with it yet. For lighting i do notice that it is indeed to low, since i have no other place to mount it i am still happy with how it turned out, the flood light lights everything around me and the spot still comes decent far.