Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 4th June 2011, 10:56   #21
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

For the 'club DJ's';

I know it may sound cheesy but how did you get you break? How did you go from being a bedroom DJ to DJ'ing in a nightclub/bar etc? Do you have to have a big following? Is it more who you know than what you know?
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 11:48   #22
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

It's more often than not about who you know.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 13:31   #23
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
It's more often than not about who you know.
Very true... To get your break it help if you produce too. Then you can get your tunes out, create hype, then other big names will ask you for the tunes. Therefore you end up with a name.... I did a lot of free gigs to get me going. Then got resident at a club in town. Started doing internet radio all different stations, then went to coventry with a mate and did a proper fm radio set... After all that i got more gigs and it just carries on from there... Going back to what manu said, which is true, how ever i know a hell of a lot of people who cant mix to save their life who have been given chances on 1 extra based on the people they know. Me personally, i dont like licking arse all the way to the top and i wont make friends with people just for the sake of it. I want to do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 08:19   #24
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 5 Door! Saxo 1.1
imydaking is on a distinguished road

I would say it is alot about who you know. there are plenty of shit djs out there playing in clubs just becuase they have connections where as there are 100s who are excellent but dont get the break to play out to a crowd.

The thing with me personally is that it is something i love doing and i wont ever give it up even tho i thought about it countless times i always come back and buy all the gear again.

If you want to get into playing out i would say you have to be in this for the long term it is rare for it to happen over night, however saying that when you finally do get a break things more than likely will just explode and you will start getting gigs and even have a choice as to which you do and dont.

The best advice i can give is just keep at it and practice. If you truly love it then like me your still going to be spinning in 10 years even if your alone or infront of 10,000 people am not init for money at all its just that feeling you get when playing to a crowd.

for me it happen when i met one guy who runs all the media stuff at my uni through another friend after that i got a gig at the end of uni party. Me and this guy had a taste in music that many people dont have around where i live and Now were in the process of setting up our own night in one of the big clubs here to get this music out there as we know there is a demand for it. Setting up your own night and self promoting is one of the best things you can do !
one thing i do now is always tell people to listen to my mixes online or just let them know your a dj now almost everyone i know knows this and i get asked to play at there house parties etcc... word of mouth is priceless
imydaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 20:02   #25
petrolhead_19
Regular Poster

Car(s): DRZ400 dual sport, cbr400rr
petrolhead_19 is on a distinguished road

Ive been dj'in for about 5 years now started off using vinyls then cd's then mp3's
Done quite a few gigs i.e birthdays, clubs, weddings, new years eve parties, pubs etc
Always have a wicked time doing it.

Equipment i got at the moment is
Techniks 1210's
Cdj2000 mk5's
Hercules rmx mp3 mixer
Tapco thump th-15 active speakers
Tapco thump th-18 bass bins

nice little set up had to sell alot of my gear to do my bike test but slowly building it back up again lol.

As said before getting into a club its about who you know, i know alot of the club owners around my area so can get a spot when ever i want.

I notice your from bradford, i was born and raised there holmewood lol live in preston now though, i did lingards in bradford a few years ago top night just pure dubstep all night.

Oh i also dj any music really what ever the occassion is
petrolhead_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 21:14   #26
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

I didnt even know there was such a thing as a CDJ2000mk5?
Old 8th June 2011, 21:45   #27
petrolhead_19
Regular Poster

lol typo haha mk3's it was meant to say
Old 9th June 2011, 01:03   #28
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_19 View Post
There isn't a 2000mk3.

You mean 1000s I take it.
Old 9th June 2011, 03:11   #29
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Ive been dj'in for about 5 years now started off using vinyls then cd's then mp3's
Done quite a few gigs i.e birthdays, clubs, weddings, new years eve parties, pubs etc
Always have a wicked time doing it.

Equipment i got at the moment is
Techniks 1210's
Cdj2000 mk5's
Hercules rmx mp3 mixer
Tapco thump th-15 active speakers
Tapco thump th-18 bass bins

nice little set up had to sell alot of my gear to do my bike test but slowly building it back up again lol.

As said before getting into a club its about who you know, i know alot of the club owners around my area so can get a spot when ever i want.

I notice your from bradford, i was born and raised there holmewood lol live in preston now though, i did lingards in bradford a few years ago top night just pure dubstep all night.

Oh i also dj any music really what ever the occassion is
hi mate shame your not in bradford anymore hah but best thing to do is get out of here its really bad these days its literally a toilet

on a positive note... have you set up any of your own nights? i need some advice as were setting one up soon
Old 9th June 2011, 06:51   #30
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
You must mean CDJ1000's, not 2000s..

Gone from 2000mk5's to 1000mk3's LOL.

I..smewwwlll...bewwshiitt!
Old 9th June 2011, 07:02   #31
petrolhead_19
Regular Poster

stupid keyboard lmao sorry yeah cdj1000, half asleep lol

I still go to bradford now and again to visit family mate, total shit hole i just want to get in and get out when im there lol
Old 9th June 2011, 07:37   #32
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

haha i swear man the moment you drive into bradford and see the sign ''welcome to bradford'' you just get that smell of shit coming through haha

oh the cdj2000s look immense chase and status were using them at our uni i was in crowd dancing and didnt know i could of gone backstage hah as i had an all access wristband xD
i was djing earlier in the day but we had to make do with cdj1000s i cant beleive that i was the only dj out of all the others who played earlier in the day to use real cds, everyone else was using a laptop grrrr i mean i use traktor and a midi controller too but i wouldnt rely solely on that!

you can just tell when a dj has no clue about beat matching etc... they tend to never wear there headphones... i actually saw someone once use mix meister to mix i was like wtf whats the point haha
Old 9th June 2011, 10:09   #33
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Cdj2000 mk5's
of course you have....
Quote:
Hercules rmx mp3 mixer
So why would you get 2 top of the range CD players and one bottom barrel mixer? i'm a bit dubious here.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 14:13   #34
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

LOL! No need to lie, really.

It's ok to have shoiiite equipment, I used to own Kam CD Decks..

Tehehehe.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:10   #35
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imydaking View Post
you can just tell when a dj has no clue about beat matching etc... they tend to never wear there headphones..
Ive worked with quite a few who dont use headphones tbh.

Guys who used to be on CDJs but now use a variety of software, its not just a case of only using software because they cant beat match. However much I hate laptop work.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:57   #36
petrolhead_19
Regular Poster

Quote:
So why would you get 2 top of the range CD players and one bottom barrel mixer? i'm a bit dubious here.
I have the rmx becuase it is a good piece of kit, good for midi and just doing small events if i dont use my cdj's or vinyls, just easier thats all
Old 9th June 2011, 22:34   #37
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

i reckon the best reason for using software is its soo much easieras your not carrying loads of cds etc.. also u can have 2 identical latpops so its an instant backup not to much the creativity with loops and countless fx
Old 10th June 2011, 01:42   #38
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imydaking View Post
i reckon the best reason for using software is its soo much easieras your not carrying loads of cds etc.. also u can have 2 identical latpops so its an instant backup not to much the creativity with loops and countless fx
The reason for using non cd/vinyl based media is as someone like tony from above and beyond put it 'why do i need to carry 100kg of record boxes around the world when I can carry 2 usb pen drives'

You then have the fact that some Djs produce (well all really) even on the flights and so thus drop a few current productions into sets in the middle of tours and also can do the productions whilst touring.

Then we get onto the whole thing of pre recorded sets (yes it is done but im not naming anyone who is 'suspected' of doing so.

+ several different user interfaces etc... ydayayaya just look at the set up of some of the guys like Zabiela/hawtin will show that the masses of additional things which can be added in are a factor... and thats high end djs not just someone down the local shit heap playing for a bottle of vodka and £30 cash in hand.
Old 10th June 2011, 05:02   #39
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

i think like it or not digital djing is the future or already is.
theres lots of clubs tht have serato or traktor installed i think there are some even with virtual dj.

the downfall of all this is simple its that anyone can download it and then there all like 'im a dj'

personally i dont like it when people call me a dj and i wouldnt ever put my name as 'dj ....'
i see it more as an art and not just someone who plays other peoples music
Old 10th June 2011, 12:15   #40
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The reason for using non cd/vinyl based media is as someone like tony from above and beyond put it 'why do i need to carry 100kg of record boxes around the world when I can carry 2 usb pen drives'

You then have the fact that some Djs produce (well all really) even on the flights and so thus drop a few current productions into sets in the middle of tours and also can do the productions whilst touring.

Then we get onto the whole thing of pre recorded sets (yes it is done but im not naming anyone who is 'suspected' of doing so.
On the pre-recorded set front, im sure SHM are guilty of this..

As are many other DJ's, but I mention them because I watched 'Take One' lastnight (their film..) and they seem to always do last-minute edits before a set, watch them at a gig and all they seem to do is EQ's, filter before a drop & whistle lol!

Taking nothing away from them though, their productions are awesome, and they know how to rock a crowd.