Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 27th November 2022, 10:14   #1
jon_jon_jon
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): silver 1.1 disire
jon_jon_jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon_jon_jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon_jon_jon has a spectacular aura about
Default VTS won't start

I recently bought a mk1 VTS.
It was off the road for many years. So I got it serviced, MOTd, new cambelt, all welding done, an ABS sensor etc. I had it running on the road for a couple months. Running really well. Now it won't start.

Its got a good battery and ive put some petrol in just incase the fuel gauge wasnt working (it did play up once before). It still turns over but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump prime, although sometimes it seems to keep making a noise instead of just a couple seconds like you'd expect.

Basically I don't know where to start with finding the issue. I was advised to replace the fuel pump but is there a way I can test the pump before throwing money at it?

Any advice on what and how to check would be great. Thanks all.
jon_jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2022, 17:07   #2
george7378

george7378 is on a distinguished road

You might be able to check for fuel pressure by loosening the fuel line where it connects to the rail up front, and then turning the key to make the pump prime and checking that fuel comes out of the line with a good pressure. Might also be a clogged fuel filter.

Guessing it's not a timing issue if the belt is new - so if the pump is working, it could be anything from spark, airflow or compression. Or maybe immobiliser - but I think you'd see a light for that. Potentially injectors? But I don't know if that would make it go from running fine to not working at all.
george7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2022, 12:10   #3
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Are you free Sunday? I can pop over there and we can have a look, I'm only 30 minutes away.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2022, 01:43   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

The pump prime time is a fixed time period when you cycle the ignition. The ECU controls that.

If it is intermittently running on for longer, I'd be looking at replacing the black relay below the ECU. I've not come across one that sticks, but it's not impossible, especially since it's old and who knows what moisture has found its way inside.

you need to verify if fuel is actually getting into the cylinders and that you actually have spark.

Put a bit of petrol straight down the intake (remove airbox and pour straight into TB). If the car doesn't immediately fire up, you likely have a spark issue or a trigger problem, or immobiliser.

If the car fires up, then fuel isn't getting into the cylinders. If the car has been sat, it's maybe a combo of sticky injectors and a lazy fuel pump.
Old 1st December 2022, 13:23   #5
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Check for fuel at the rail, then Crank sensor.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote