Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 21st November 2009, 23:11   #21
Junaid
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.4 furio Now Saxo 1.6 VTR
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Junaid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
bhp isnt everything

standard, theyre 130

can be upto over 500
fuck me 500?
surely vts cant match that even modded
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:14   #22
3cott
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Black mk2 vts
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice

Neither

Ide get a 172 or a 182
3cott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:14   #23
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiRacer View Post
fuck me 500?
surely vts cant match that even modded
as i said, dont get seduced by big numbers

can the starlet put 500bhp down?

whats to say you cant build a saxo with that much power?

how reliable is a heavily modded engine?

too much power isnt that good in a small car

standard for standard - VTS pisses on it on track, it's a good handling car with readily avaliable torque

theres a lot more to building a winning car than just a powerful engine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:19   #24
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

standard for standard - VTS pisses on it on track, it's a good handling car with readily avaliable torque

hear hear, and GLANZAS ARE SHIT!!!!!!!
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:21   #25
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cott View Post
Neither

Ide get a 172 or a 182
theres much more cars in a similar price range that id have i think

i love a clio 182 trophy, but realistically, is it the best option for £7000?
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 21st November 2009, 23:25   #26
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
theres much more cars in a similar price range that id have i think

i love a clio 182 trophy, but realistically, is it the best option for £7000?
IF I WANTED A NICE SPE'D CAR I WOULDNT PICK ONE THAT CORNERS ON 3 WHEELS TBH, MAKES SENSE TO GO ROUND ON 4 BEING A VEHICLE WITH 4 WHEELS........... just realised im shouting...... fuck it am not re typing
Old 21st November 2009, 23:26   #27
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
IF I WANTED A NICE SPE'D CAR I WOULDNT PICK ONE THAT CORNERS ON 3 WHEELS TBH, MAKES SENSE TO GO ROUND ON 4 BEING A VEHICLE WITH 4 WHEELS........... just realised im shouting...... fuck it am not re typing
a trophy is one of the best handling FWD cars out there, a lot of stiff chassis cars can get up on 3 wheels,
Quote:
Old 21st November 2009, 23:30   #28
scottyvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Corsa VXRacing
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
scottyvtr is just really nicescottyvtr is just really nicescottyvtr is just really nicescottyvtr is just really nicescottyvtr is just really nice

i would have the vts or a R5GTT, i hate jap crap, as blackie pointed out there have been some awesome R5's infact i would say its one of the fastest cars ive ever been in the first being a saph cossie 4x4 and agrees with the how much you want to spend on power gains???!!!
edit; dont matter, i know who it is now. you can all sit back down in your chairs.
scottyvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:32   #29
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

BUT... theres better about and quite simpley a car that started life with 4 wheels shouldnt corner with 3 IMO, not saying it doesnt handle well for a fwd car, i like them but there is better and with the moeny we're talking id buy something alot diff tbh, my lass wants a 182 lol, just learning to drive, said id make her a look a like so shes happy
Old 21st November 2009, 23:34   #30
Junaid
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.4 furio Now Saxo 1.6 VTR
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Junaid is on a distinguished road

Quote:

good point
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 23:34   #31
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
BUT... theres better about and quite simpley a car that started life with 4 wheels shouldnt corner with 3 IMO, not saying it doesnt handle well for a fwd car, i like them but there is better and with the moeny we're talking id buy something alot diff tbh, my lass wants a 182 lol, just learning to drive, said id make her a look a like so shes happy
i like the 182's a lot. i just think for £7k i'd pick something different, although the renault would be cheaper to run than most of its "performance" rivals in the same price bracket
Quote:
Old 21st November 2009, 23:36   #32
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvtr View Post
i would have the vts or a R5GTT, i hate jap crap, as blackie pointed out there have been some awesome R5's infact i would say its one of the fastest cars ive ever been in the first being a saph cossie 4x4 and agrees with the how much you want to spend on power gains???!!!
mate had an insanley RAPID r5, he was a gypsie and somehoe acquired it through some mean, was blisteringly quick, id say it had over 15k under the bonnet, and about5-6 year ago that was alot of money on an engine alone, long story short he was wanted and dumped it after being chased off the police(cleanly left evrthing for dust) but they bumped into the car searchinf later that night and it was the last that was seen of it,
Old 21st November 2009, 23:39   #33
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
i like the 182's a lot. i just think for £7k i'd pick something different, although the renault would be cheaper to run than most of its "performance" rivals in the same price bracket
if i was looking for a decnt all rounder with 7k id go for an 00'ish impreza decent cond low'ish miles say 3-3.5k for the right car and spend the rest on tuning it, even though im not a great fan of them, it works as a good fast car/drivers car/family car/ weekend track slag
Old 22nd November 2009, 06:51   #34
scot-ish
Established Member

Car(s): Audi S5, Corsa, Defender 90 CSW
scot-ish is on a distinguished road

Quote:

0standard for standard - VTS pisses on it on track, it's a good handling car with readily avaliable torque

500bhp starlet??

nope, not on the 4efte or the 5efte

i believe 448 is the highest, but there is one in the north east running 3sgte, and another down south, pushin 500

a standard starlet gt aint as bad handling as people go on

its always people whove never driven the cars, who from hearsay, say there shite. a standard starlet, with a ARB, adjustable panahrd rod, and coilovers, will be as good on track as a vts, not to mention the power of starlet compared to the vts for the same cash

personally, i would go for a starlet GT (as i own one) and i dont like the glanza that much. my car is standard,then i spent £600, and its 190bhp, alot of them come standard with a LSD, will put the power down no probs, no lag, full boost at 3k rpm, and would tank a vts in a str8 line or track, would only really be worth playin with a vts on bodies, and that would have to be a well setup one, or a turbo'd one, but the £££ it cost to set a VTS up turbo'd, not where i would put my money.

you can buy a decent starlet for 2k, and 4k will get you a forged TD04 setup running 300bhp

but then again, on this website, everyone is gunna say, get a VTS, because after all, its a saxo website

it depends on your budget, a ibiza cupra is a good shout aswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I've seen pics of him and he's like Ayres Rock with tattoos.

Last edited by scot-ish; 22nd November 2009 at 06:57.
scot-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:29   #35
VTR-Chris-VTR
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Saxo VTS
VTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to behold

Glanza all day long.......personal experience......btw there 133bhp iirc

VTS = unreliable had 2 VTS's that fucked up on me big time

And yeh Glanza's will beat VTS's & R5

Ive had both a Glanza and Starlet GT.......and i must say the Starlet Gt by far out handled my Saxo

I had mine pushing 160bhp just by uping the boost to 0.8, meshed turbo, de-cat and full exhaust system and was pushing 0-60's in 6.5secs approx

But yeh there a marmite car.....you either love um or hate them, but at the end of the day there still a good car even tho there 13/14 years old now.

Plus i would choose jap over anything french anyday......i did like the saxo's but i moved on and glad i did.

But this is a Saxo site.....so your all gonna back the VTS up what ever people say.

Last edited by VTR-Chris-VTR; 22nd November 2009 at 07:34.
VTR-Chris-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:37   #36
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

5 Turbo everytime always loved them

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:19   #37
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

ive driven a starlet GT, and theres not much difference to a VTS.

my mates GT is currently running over 200bhp, in a straight line it'd blow away a vts. but as i said, it's not all about power

tuning potential is there from the starlet engines, but also parts / repairs can be more costly and often need importing

imo starlets are typical of the older style jap cars - all go and no show, awful styling.

glanza's are also becomming one of the new chav charriots due to being cheap boost

i personally wouldnt buy one unless from an importer, but i dont know enough about the car's to really call that an informed choice
Quote:
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:46   #38
Heliosphan
Established Member

Heliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to beholdHeliosphan is a splendid one to behold

Hardly any Glanzas around where I live and for that reason I'd have one. How can anyone say they're chav motors? I've seen more badly modified chavved up Saxos than any other car apart from Corsas. Also, people that say Glanzas don't corner well. Pah. Doesn't matter if you're not on track does it? Nothing against Saxos, but I've had a Vts and life's too short to buy the same car twice!

I'd have a R5 as first choice but finding a decent one will be hard. If you do, I'm sure you'll end up paying top dollar and is it worth paying top dollar for an old Renault.....maybe it is.

Quick point on Clios. I'd never pay £7000 for one. As far as I'm concerned, Cliosports are nothing but a "cheap" performance option. Money approaching 10k buys a far better car. Also, I don't buy a car just becasue a magazine rates it as one of the best.
Heliosphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:54   #39
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
Hardly any Glanzas around where I live and for that reason I'd have one. How can anyone say they're chav motors? I've seen more badly modified chavved up Saxos than any other car apart from Corsas. Also, people that say Glanzas don't corner well. Pah. Doesn't matter if you're not on track does it? Nothing against Saxos, but I've had a Vts and life's too short to buy the same car twice!

I'd have a R5 as first choice but finding a decent one will be hard. If you do, I'm sure you'll end up paying top dollar and is it worth paying top dollar for an old Renault.....maybe it is.

Quick point on Clios. I'd never pay £7000 for one. As far as I'm concerned, Cliosports are nothing but a "cheap" performance option. Money approaching 10k buys a far better car. Also, I don't buy a car just becasue a magazine rates it as one of the best.
i agree on the cliosport point, awesome little cars, but £7k opens up a pretty big field of car options. granted the running costs may be more, but a cliosport doesnt seem a 7k car to me.

glanza's are becomming popular with the chavs, that doesnt mean saxos arent chav car's..

if i wanted straight line fun, i wouldnt buy a FWD hatchback...
Quote:
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:03   #40
Jazz
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): CLS63 AMG
Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!Jazz is absolutely fabulous!

If tuning is your thing, I'd have to choose a Glanza/Starlet. R5's are delicate these days and once fettled with they generally have no end of problems. Having said that if you could find a decent standard R5 GTT then I'd snap it up and take good care of it.

A standard VTS is probably a better drivers car than a standard Glanza, but there's no denying that a Turbo motor will be better if tuned correctly. Once a VTS is cammed/mapped at around 140-150bhp, extracting more power becomes a question of how many thousands you're ready to throw at it. Less cash thrown at the little Toyota will see you sailing well past that mark.

It depends on what you want in a small hot-hatch tbh.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote