Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 31st March 2011, 14:50   #881
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Shell Helix, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs XTR, Shell Helix, Millers XSS or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

You need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 14:49   #882
spongaldrifter

spongaldrifter is on a distinguished road
Default Saxo 1.1 1997

Hi I have oil everywhere and in my Rad. Do you think it's worth doing or just scrap it. I think it may be Head Gasket. The car really runs ok.

Saxo 1.1 1997 76000 miles.

Thank you
spongaldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:09   #883
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Sounds like head gasket to me!
Old 30th April 2011, 17:24   #884
Gazza75

Car(s): Saxo VTS
Gazza75 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine & Gearbox Oil Advice

Hi Oilman,

Saxo
VTS
1.6 16v
79000 miles
Current Engine Oil - Drive Train 5W-40 (think its made by comma)
Unsure Of Current Gear Box Oil

I get a bit of noise on cold start up but when warm all is good with the engine. I have purchased Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil from your site as I believe this is a very good oil. I just wanted to check it is ok to use as I only drive my car on the road and it is never used on the track? I also wanted ask if you would recommend doing an engine flush when changing the oil as I have heard mixed reviews about doing this on older/high milage engines and I m also concerned that the cold start up noise may get worse?
I have also heard mixed revies about doing a gearbox oil change, do you believe it to be a good thing and if so what oil would you recomend? I am getting a slight whining from the gearbox when driving, would you also recomend any additives to help reduce the noise and further wear?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers,
Gary
Gazza75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 19:48   #885
oilman
Established Member

Hi Gary

The Pro S is ideal for track and road use.

It's worth changing the gearbox oil, all oil degrades over time and it won't give the same protection as when the oil was fresh. You*need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative

There is no need to flush the engine and flushing can be harmful. What can happen is the flush can loosen harmless deposits in the engine, but then not remove them. Your new oil goes in and after it gets warm and is flowing nicely, the bits which are loosened come off into the oil, so you end up with hard bits floating around in your oil - the last thing you want. If you really want to flush the oil system, the best thing you can do is drain out the oil that is in there, put in some cheap (the cheapest you can find) mineral oil and run the car for 15 minutes to an hour so the oil gets nice and warm. After running it, drain out the mineral oil and put in the correct oil.

Cheers

Tim
Old 1st May 2011, 22:53   #886
Gazza75

Car(s): Saxo VTS
Gazza75 is on a distinguished road

Hey Tim,

Really appreciate the advice, will definitly do the gearbox oil change and will go with one of the good ones you have listed. Also appreciate the advice on flushing the engine, using the cheap oil sounds a great idea so will use this method when I do the engine oil change.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance m8.

Gary
Gazza75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:33   #887
oilman
Established Member

Glad to help
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:25   #888
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Oilman..

I have a 2002 BMW 330, it has some awfull oil in at the moment. I have some 5w-40 Millers XFS Fully synthetic that I was going to put in my saxo, can I put this in the BM?

Its ACEA A3/B3 Spec - BMW Longlife 98. Reading in the manual it says "Longlife 01" oil to be used only and that Longlife 98 should only be used for small amounts of top up. Will it be perfectly fine, with BM just saying that for warrenty purposes or should I get some "Longlife 01" ?
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:27   #889
oilman
Established Member

Really it depends on what service schedule the car is on, if it's still on a longlife schedule, then no, I wouldn't use the XFS. If it's serviced annually, the XFS will be fine.

Here are the LL01 & 04 oils we have, all of them are fine to use.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-685-bmw-longlife-01.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04.aspx

Cheers

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 20th June 2011, 13:34   #890
nazmitocak
L-plater

Car(s): "99 Citroen Saxo vtS Mk-1, "07 Citroen C4 HPI Br
nazmitocak is on a distinguished road

1999 Saxo Vts

Kentcam PT 52
High comp. pistons (12.2 comp)
ITB
Omex 600 ecu

2.000 mile engine
nazmitocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:12   #891
oilman
Established Member

I would go 5w-40 synthetic mate http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Guy
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:56   #892
s555dan
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 16v'd Saxo VTR Mk1 Astra G Coupe 1.8
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
s555dan is on a distinguished road

Hi Oilman

Can i have your advice for engine oil, gearbox oil and maybe brake fluid if you can

Saxo Vtr Mk1 1.6 8v, used mainly for high rpm activites on the weekend and on track.

Only mods are intake, exhaust manifold and exhaust.

Thanks Oilman!

Last edited by s555dan; 23rd June 2011 at 20:58.
s555dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 10:46   #893
oilman
Established Member

I would go 5w-40 synthetic for the engine, any one of these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx

For the gearbox the Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w-80 here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx

Brake fluid you will need a DOT4 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-clutch-fluid.aspx

Cheers

Guy.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:01   #894
iDale
Regular Poster
Central South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): Mk1 Woodland VTS
iDale is on a distinguished road

Hey Oilman!

Just fitted a 1999 VTR gearbox to my 2002 VTR and I'm not sure which oil to add.

Main use is town stuff, to and from work. And travelling along b roads at weekends to see the girlfriend.

Thanks, Dale
iDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 14:00   #895
oilman
Established Member

Hi Dale

You need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative

Cheers

Tim
Old 6th July 2011, 14:12   #896
kmak577
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 03 vtr
kmak577 is on a distinguished road

Hey mate, any chance of a recommendation on the following please:

bog standard 1.1 '97 reg 127k on the clock (I am rather impressed!), currently got castrol magnetec 10w/40 floating around in it. No need for gearbox oil recommendation as clutch was changed about 3 months ago. Driven on Welsh A roads, so English B roads on 30 mile runs at a time normally.

Cheapest OK oil that's nice for MPG ideally please.
kmak577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 14:27   #897
oilman
Established Member

If you want to go for well priced and quality, the one to go for at the moment is the Gulf Competition. It's not cheap, but it's a top end oil. The better an oil is, the less internal friction there is, making the engine run more efficiently.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60122-gu...-oil-5w40.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 17th July 2011, 11:32   #898
Tyanu888
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS (hill climb racer), Citroen AX Gt
Tyanu888 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil grade, what should i carry on using (for less friction)

Hi Oilman,
I have a Saxo VTS 2000 model with following:
stage 3 head, high comp pistons (slight rebore in block), carillo con rods-arp bolts, PT-52 Kent cams, Omex 600, pico injectors 260cc (blue), lightened flywheel, Quaife box and Jenvey throttle bodies with 120mm trumpets. The garage in the UK said they took the maximum out of the engine so no chance of skimmimg the head and squeezing out more comp. Oil that was ordered to use is 10-40. I asked whether i can put racing oil or similar and they told me stick to 10-40. So i use Total semi synt 10-40. Would you recommend a different oil, would Millers oils be good at a different grade? The car is in Malta now (warmer climate, humid and hot)and it is used 9 or 10 times a year in hill climb racing. I couldnt understand why the tuning company in the UK said tick to 10-40 no matter what! I always used Total on Citroen but I was told that Millers is quite good! I would appreciate your views on this matter!
Thank you in advance.
Etienne
Malta
Tyanu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 09:49   #899
oilman
Established Member

Hi Etienne

Do you have any idea how hot the oil is getting?

I would use a full synthetic rather than semi, but you may need a 10w-50 if the oil is getting very hot.

Cheers

Tim
Old 19th July 2011, 21:57   #900
Tyanu888
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS (hill climb racer), Citroen AX Gt
Tyanu888 is on a distinguished road
Default oil temperature

Hi,
the oil after a good run gets quite hot but i still have the factory oil cooler which i suppose helps a bit! It is marking between half and three quarters on the little gauge on the speedo (factory fitted one).
One thing is for sure, the top covers get excessively hot, after a few minutes just like the exhaust manifold! The only time i know they kept cool was on the dyno rolling road because the bonnet was open and a massive fan was on the engine directly!
If you had to change to fully synthetic would it be bad if the oil that is already in the engine mixes with the fully synt oil (it is rather impossible to get all the old oil out and somebody told me it is very bad to mix fully and semi synthetic oils! Is that true?

Many thanks
Tyanu888 is offline   Reply With Quote