Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 5th January 2009, 19:34   #1
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!
Default any major pc geeks?

help needed:

is this any good?

any thoughts, comments or advice is much appreciated

if you dont know what your on about. please dont post crap

i know there are some knowledgable people on here, so id like to thank you all for your help in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 19:45   #2
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Posi Blue 1.1
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

Firstly, good choice on Toshiba. I've had many Tosh laptops and i can barely fault them.
The only point i would note out of that spec is that its running Intel GMA (integrated) graphics. If you're looking to use that for gaming then that would be the bottle neck in its spec.

Apart from that its very well equipped for that price
Old 5th January 2009, 19:52   #3
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
Firstly, good choice on Toshiba. I've had many Tosh laptops and i can barely fault them.
The only point i would note out of that spec is that its running Intel GMA (integrated) graphics. If you're looking to use that for gaming then that would be the bottle neck in its spec.

Apart from that its very well equipped for that price
not a big pc gamer tbh mate. so guess thats that problem gone

thanks for your reply by the way

my mate used to work on a PC shop, he said he rated toshiba laptops very highly

and this one seems a bargain for the spec from what i know

ideally want 4gb of ram and as much hard drive as possible, which this seems to have, not sure on anything else really though as i dont understand computers that well..
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 5th January 2009, 20:16   #4
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Posi Blue 1.1
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

what part would you like expalined?
Old 5th January 2009, 20:18   #5
davidandrews5343
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Subaru Impreza Newage WRX
davidandrews5343 will become famous soon enough

what is this gona be used for, alot of traveling about? 13" screen is gona make it lighter and easier to transport, if its gona just be sat at a desk, then maybe a 15" or 17". But overall a nice laptop
Old 5th January 2009, 20:35   #6
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrews5343 View Post
what is this gona be used for, alot of traveling about? 13" screen is gona make it lighter and easier to transport, if its gona just be sat at a desk, then maybe a 15" or 17". But overall a nice laptop
ive got a 15" at the moment. and tbh i can honestly say i doubt the smaller screen would bother me (after having a play on mates 13" screens)

im planning to go to uni next year, so would take it there.. would be just used as a general laptop.. but i do produce music and the programs used need a lot of mem, hence the need for 4gb of ram

i just want a pretty decent spec laptop now so that it wont go out of date in a couple of months

as to noddy.. all i know about computers is that bigger ram and bigger hard drive the better lol

want something with a good cd / dvd writed, wifi, and just as many practical features as possible

plus it looks pretty sleak imo
Quote:
Old 5th January 2009, 22:35   #7
flynnsvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS
flynnsvtr is infamous around these parts

Yeah thats a good price for the spec, as mentioned integrated VGA isnt the best but tbh if your not an avid gamer its fine
Old 5th January 2009, 22:48   #8
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

ok so just found this

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...1OM/1059341/#0

is this any better than the 1st option?

please if you understand pc's read each spec and compare for me please?

greeb blobs waiting for you all..
Quote:
Old 6th January 2009, 08:12   #9
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Both specs are good for a laptop and as everyone else has said, Toshiba are quite nice. Had my bosses one to fiddle around with and install a few bits on and it runs like a dream.

I would go for the first spec you listed personally as the front side bus of the CPU is higher, therefore making it a little quicker.

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 11:32   #10
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyG View Post
Both specs are good for a laptop and as everyone else has said, Toshiba are quite nice. Had my bosses one to fiddle around with and install a few bits on and it runs like a dream.

I would go for the first spec you listed personally as the front side bus of the CPU is higher, therefore making it a little quicker.
thats what i was thinking

being a noob on hard drive, other than the slightly faster processor, bigger hard drive, and bluetooth ability. i cant see much else between them?

but like i say, im a noob and dont understand half the stuff writted about it lol

what is you guys views on 13.3" screen? too small? ive got a 15.4" at the moment, will there be a huge difference? i think ill pop into a computer shop and have a look at screen sizes
Quote:
Old 6th January 2009, 12:22   #11
flynnsvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS
flynnsvtr is infamous around these parts

That second one is better value for money, I mean do you really need 320gb of hard drive space? If you simply use word processing, internet browsing, and a few multimedia apps I cant see you needing more then 250? Should be plenty.

As for screen size, considering you will be at uni and the laptop wil be spent, for the most part, sat on your desk the bigger screen size will come in handy, especially for watching films, the 13" one is good if you travel alot via train etc so its light and compact but for what you will be using it for that second one perhaps suits yours needs more!
Old 6th January 2009, 12:32   #12
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST & 206 GTI180
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

As said Tosh's usually good,

The first one Bad points

Small screen
Intel GMA (integrated on motherboard) graphics = shit shit shit shit
Processor could be faster espesh if its running the almighty Vista although its not that bad i guess for a laptop..

Good points Ram and expandable to 8GB
HD isnt too bad either @320Gb

Second one just has a bigger screen id like to think the top one is way above * but its alot of money on top so for moneys second, price no object first..

ST
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 13:06   #13
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

bah thats alot of money for an ok spec.... seen lappys around that spec @ nearer the 500 mark... admittedly the second one is...
heres some to consider

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/v...=version&page=

send another hundred and you can have a few more features ya probz and hard drive moves up from 250gb to 320.. and 260mhz extra...

something to bare mind is that if the operating system is 32bit you arent going to take full advantage of 4gb vs 3gb...

the difference vs the toshibas your looking at is your getting a dedicated graphics chip..
Stickyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 18:14   #14
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

thanks for your replies guys.. im still considering the toshiba as ive heard lots of good things about them

but after searching a little more ive found this

whats your views on it? better than the 1st option toshiba?

and does anyone know how samsung perform?

green blobs to all you guys if i could, youve made some good points which i never actually considerd!
Quote:
Old 7th January 2009, 22:44   #15
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

well.. in the end i got the samsung in the link above

on its way and should be here on saturday.. hope its good lol
Quote:
Old 10th January 2009, 22:27   #16
beaumontdvd
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): White Saxo 1.1 1997
beaumontdvd is on a distinguished road

Mate for that price! i would snap that up! 4gb ddr :O thats more than my desktop lol! thats a fast runner mate, dual core processors. Wont freeze much good buy!
beaumontdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 01:55   #17
alanrichie
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
alanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud of

Ash, i would say its nothing special...
the processor is very low end dual core + ntegrated graphics (sigh)

but its a laptop so you know...
you said you wanted 4gb mem, well yes its 4gb ram but its only 667 MHz ram...
and that is to my knowlegde the lowest speed DDR2 ram,

consider this, for a DECENT DD2 4gb (900mhz) ram for a PC, its £40,

i built my current PC for £600, and its at least twice as better as that, and i built my pc last year, so parts are alot cheaper now,

as i said its nothing amazing for the money...

EDIT : DAMN SHOULD OF READ WHOLE POST NVM.
alanrichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 09:19   #18
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

damn my noobishness!

thanks for the reply though alan..

im not too worried about graphics as i never play PC games etc

think it will do for me though as im not a hardcore PC user
Quote:
Old 11th January 2009, 14:53   #19
alanrichie
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
alanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud ofalanrichie has much to be proud of

Its fine ash, i worked it out last night and i think i could build the same spec pc for about £450.

but a laptop includes monitor,keyboard,and mouse really

but if you dont game then no hurts done
alanrichie is offline   Reply With Quote