Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 15th June 2014, 21:56   #1121
lubylou12

lubylou12 is on a distinguished road

HI guys, im new and need a little advice.

I am a new driver mature driver. I have only been passed for 6 months. I am clueless and am just learning about maintaining my car

i need advice, ive bought castrol gtx part syntheric 15w-40 oil after a lenthy phonecall to my partner while stood holding it in asda and him googling it for me and saying yes that will be fine, anyway im about to put the oil in the car as the dip test shows its very close to the min line.

I do not know what oil was put in it from the last owner. and after reading a lot online its recemmended 5w-40.

But i have this 15w-40 now and dont want to waste it as ive thrown away the receipt.

can i put it in my car????

model-citreon saxo auto desire
year it was registered first was 2001 but unsure if this is date of when it was made.
engine- petrol 1360 cc.
no mods
road use, to work and back etc

any advice would be great. although can see 5w-40 is recommened the most, i need to know can i use the one ive bought safely???
lubylou12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 21:58   #1122
lubylou12

sorry the tub also says for diesel or petrol cars
Old 16th June 2014, 09:09   #1123
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi

It's a basic option, but okay to use.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 22:32   #1124
lubylou12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi

It's a basic option, but okay to use.

Cheers

Tim
hi thanks and once ive used it can i then go down to 5w-40 or would i have to get it out first?
Old 17th June 2014, 08:58   #1125
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi

Yes, you can go for a 5w-40 or 10w-40 next service and the oils will mix without any problems.

Cheers

Tim
Old 27th June 2014, 14:57   #1126
oilman
Established Member

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.

It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.

Cheers
- oilman
Old 4th July 2014, 21:24   #1127
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you are struggling to find the right engine oil for your car, don't forget about our free oil advice.

All we need to know is

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known

If you need help you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at sales@opieoils.co.uk, or use our Recommendation form, or just ask here.

Make: Citroen
Model: Saxo VTS 16v
Year: 2001
Performance modifications: Exhaust,Manifold,Air filter.
Driving style: Road/Fast Road

As said i would like to try something different than the 10w 40 Catrol GTX as i noticed engine temp is a little higher (approx 1-2mm on the gauge),any suggestion? Thanks.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 17:48   #1128
oilman
Established Member

Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic as the best option

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS NT/CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Shell Helix, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell Helix, Millers Trident, Castrol Magnatec, Mobil Super 2000 or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 8th July 2014, 17:04   #1129
Brumy_pete
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr mk2
Brumy_pete is on a distinguished road

Hi oilman
Could u tell me what millers nanodrive is best for saxo vtr i heard it can up power abit is it worth putting in saxo cheers
Brumy_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 17:17   #1130
oilman
Established Member

Hi

The best one for a VTR is the CFS NT 5w-40

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73732-mi...ngine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 8th July 2014, 18:00   #1131
Brumy_pete
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr mk2
Brumy_pete is on a distinguished road
Smile

Ok cheers tim
Will be buying of you in nxt month or so
Thanks
Brumy_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 22:01   #1132
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

ashj22 is on a distinguished road

purchased a 2002 vts a week ago dont need to change the oil yet but when i come to topping it up should i drain all the other oil out first or just pour it in together with whats in there, also what oil do you recommend? thanks
ashj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 23:04   #1133
jokerer
Regular Poster

Car(s): Desire 1.1
jokerer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj22 View Post
purchased a 2002 vts a week ago dont need to change the oil yet but when i come to topping it up should i drain all the other oil out first or just pour it in together with whats in there, also what oil do you recommend? thanks
if you need to top the oil up because some has dripped out you just add the correct amount needed and dont drain anything

If you are replacing all the oil you drain the old oil out the engine first, replace the filter then add the oil

Dont just add a load of oil into the engine randomly or you will make it unhappy
jokerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 00:38   #1134
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

If it were me id change the oil on any recently bought car, especially one liable to have had a hard life. In fact id do all the fluids
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 08:53   #1135
oilman
Established Member

Hi

It's fine to mix oils, so you can top up (to the mark on the dipstick) with whatever oil you are using to top up with.

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic as the best option.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS NT/CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Shell Helix, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell Helix, Millers Trident/EE Nanodrive, Castrol Magnatec, Mobil Super 2000 or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 29th July 2014, 19:17   #1136
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

ashj22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys
ashj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 17:37   #1137
McAndy
Infrequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 2003 Saxo VTR
McAndy is on a distinguished road

Hi Oilman,

I have a 2003 Saxo VTR with 65k on the clock.

From what I've read so far you recommend 5w-40. Was about to order some standard tesco nonsense because it's the cheapest. But, would it actually be counter-productive because of the poor quality?

I'm just looking for a budget 5w-40 or 10w-40.

I commute through town monday to Friday with the odd 200 mile trip to and from cities.

What would you recommend? Is there a noticeable advantage/benefit between the twho options?
McAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:41   #1138
oilman
Established Member

Hi,

Yes 5w-40 synthetic is ideal. Like likes of home brand oils are built to as low a cost as possible, to keep the price of the oil competitive but it will be very budget in quality.

Try to stick to a proper oil brand if you can, Gulf are well priced at the moment http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60125-gu...ngine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Guy
Old 11th August 2014, 21:46   #1139
McAndy
Infrequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Quote:
Hi,

Yes 5w-40 synthetic is ideal. Like likes of home brand oils are built to as low a cost as possible, to keep the price of the oil competitive but it will be very budget in quality.

Try to stick to a proper oil brand if you can, Gulf are well priced at the moment http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60125-gu...ngine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Guy
Cheers mate. Shall be getting some of that.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:55   #1140
McAndy
Infrequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

oilman, going to grab a supply of oil for next time (whilst I have money).

How does Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 compare to Triple QX 5w40? What's the difference there?