Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 27th January 2018, 18:27   #1
sammyb1

sammyb1 is on a distinguished road
Default vts intermittent grinding noise coming from front right

Hi all, I have a black vts, about a week ago i noticed that the car was making a grinding noise from the front right corner, it never does it when i first start driving in the morning always takes 10 mins or so and then comes & goes, doesnt make any noise under acceleration and then grinds when i let off sometimes quiet sometimes loud, n then will stop randomly for 5 mins n then carry on. makes no difference if the clutch is up or down.

So far I have done the following;

rocked the car on the handbrake using the clutch, no issues so I have ruled out clutch.

put the front up on axle stands and put the car in 2nd gear and have ''caught'' the wheels one at a time to make it switch drive between the two no nasty noises so ruled out diff.

noticed one of the clips on the outer cv boot had broken & come off so have regreased cv joint and replaced clip.

i'm thinking driveshaft intermediate bearing as this driveshaft would not come out for love nor money when i replaced cv boots a few months ago does anyone have any other ideas?
sammyb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 16:39   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyb1 View Post
Hi all, I have a black vts, about a week ago i noticed that the car was making a grinding noise from the front right corner, it never does it when i first start driving in the morning always takes 10 mins or so and then comes & goes, doesnt make any noise under acceleration and then grinds when i let off sometimes quiet sometimes loud, n then will stop randomly for 5 mins n then carry on. makes no difference if the clutch is up or down.

So far I have done the following;

rocked the car on the handbrake using the clutch, no issues so I have ruled out clutch.

put the front up on axle stands and put the car in 2nd gear and have ''caught'' the wheels one at a time to make it switch drive between the two no nasty noises so ruled out diff.

noticed one of the clips on the outer cv boot had broken & come off so have regreased cv joint and replaced clip.

i'm thinking driveshaft intermediate bearing as this driveshaft would not come out for love nor money when i replaced cv boots a few months ago does anyone have any other ideas?
My bets are on that intermediate bearing too.

There's a chance it could be the CV joint, it's maybe only just starting to wear.

You should rotate the wheels with the engine off and check for play in wheel bearings etc.
Old 26th April 2018, 07:14   #3
sheldog

sheldog is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find out what it was? I've got the same problem on my vtr. Thanks in advance.
sheldog is offline   Reply With Quote