Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Closed Thread

Old 4th September 2006, 18:21   #61
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billog_VTR
i think you'll find theres more ways than that to get more air into the engine. And why would so many people notice a difference in bmc filters if they were the same as a standard airbox??? utter rubish that part mate. Also polishing and porting a throttle body means more air into the engine yet again!! A simple re-map would also change the amount of air being USED (EDIT!) by the engine.
I'll go as far as to say that these people hear a bigger roar from the engine and the person driving it 'feels' its going quicker as a result. Thats why you get some people thinking their open induction is well wkd n givs n xtra 10bhp.

I doubt i could feel an extra 1 hp, can you?
Old 4th September 2006, 18:23   #62
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Green mk1 vtr/s and Focus zetec
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!

williams- doubt you'd notice the difference to be honest, unless you're running a super 1600 car
Old 4th September 2006, 18:23   #63
ricksimmonds
Established Member

Car(s): MK2 VTS
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
ricksimmonds can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by england11_2004
not too sure here, but i think he means changing gears quick. ??
correct me if i'm wrong
lol yeah i dunno if he was takin the piss or not, but someone sed summit about it earlier aswell so i thort id ask lol
Old 4th September 2006, 18:23   #64
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

they use throttle bodies.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:23   #65
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk1
Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanvtr81
you're taking bollocks. you cant force air in with out turbo/supercharger, hence the name forced induction. porting throttle body doesnt physically get more air in, just smooths the flow of the air going in (what you're saying assumes that the standard engine is being restricted by lack of airflow?!? nonsense). you'll also find that a standard airbox with a panel filter and samco to replace the air feed from grill will work just as well as a BMC too. i'd love to hear your explanation of how a remap gets more air into the engine too, remap is to adjust the fuelling and ignition after changing cam lift and duration. quit reading max power. end of.
So what you said about turbo being the only way is rubbish mate? A re-map will use the larger amounts of air available not literally take more air and shove it in there. Porting a throttle body doesnt just smooth the airflow. If theres a larger area for the air to pass through at one moment then more air is going down it!!
Old 4th September 2006, 18:24   #66
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

smoothing the ports and shite allows the air to remain in laminar flow (the opposite being turbulent) for longer thus less restriction. so technically it will aid the engine sucking in more air upto its capacity.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:25   #67
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

a remap does not affect air flow/mass in any way. it adjusts fuelling and spark timing to suit.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:25   #68
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billog_VTR
So what you said about turbo being the only way is rubbish mate? A re-map will use the larger amounts of air available not literally take more air and shove it in there. Porting a throttle body doesnt just smooth the airflow. If theres a larger area for the air to pass through at one moment then more air is going down it!!

but you're still limited by the capacity of the engine??? unless thats what 'porting' is all about?
Old 4th September 2006, 18:25   #69
Jonny_H
Established Member

Car(s): Honda Civic 53 Plate
Jonny_H can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksimmonds
lol yeah i dunno if he was takin the piss or not, but someone sed summit about it earlier aswell so i thort id ask lol
ha thought he was takin the piss!
Old 4th September 2006, 18:26   #70
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

smoothing the ports and shite allows the air to remain in laminar flow (the opposite being turbulent) for longer thus less restriction. so technically it will aid the engine sucking in more air

if you speak to a pro head porter they will say not to have a smooth finish on the inlet as this has a negative affect on power, you want the air to be a little turbulant (if thats the word).
Old 4th September 2006, 18:26   #71
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

page 5...
Old 4th September 2006, 18:28   #72
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsvts
a remap does not affect air flow/mass in any way. it adjusts fuelling and spark timing to suit.
But would something along the lines of a remap/chip not be able to increase the rpm limit?
Old 4th September 2006, 18:28   #73
ricksimmonds
Established Member

so we've established that the best way to make a vtr hit 60 in 2nd is to raise the limiter! lol. would that mean ur guna burn ur engine/gearbox etc out even quiker ye? cus surely its the same as derestricting a moped? is it as easy to do as on a moped?
Old 4th September 2006, 18:28   #74
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsvts
if you speak to a pro head porter they will say not to have a smooth finish on the inlet as this has a negative affect on power, you want the air to be a little turbulant (if thats the word).
bit of doube edge really. turbulence is good for mixing the fuel and air thus a more optimised combustion. but also turbulence means a restriction and therefore less flow.

They'll be some crazy formula around for how much to smooth optimisation i'll bet.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:28   #75
Andy_S
Established Member

Andy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to beholdAndy_S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksimmonds
I wasnt taking the piss,

http://www.gsmotorsport.com/precisio...ifts-p-26.html

these really do help, i fitted mine the other day, its quality to see how fast you change the gears!
Old 4th September 2006, 18:28   #76
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Green mk1 vtr/s and Focus zetec
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer
smoothing the ports and shite allows the air to remain in laminar flow (the opposite being turbulent) for longer thus less restriction. so technically it will aid the engine sucking in more air upto its capacity.
absolutely, but there has to be more air being forced in in the first place (ie turbo.s/charger ) though which was my point.

not the remap which gets more air in, but the lift and duration of the cam(s). even so, without a raised limit then you'll hit 57 in 2nd, not 60 which is the point of the whole thread.

put it this way- you have an rs turbo, you fit a cosworth throttle body but keep standard boost. are you getting more air in? no. up the boost however (ie FORCE more air in) and the bigger throttle body does it's job.

Last edited by Sean; 4th September 2006 at 18:32.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:31   #77
ricksimmonds
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_vts
I wasnt taking the piss,

http://www.gsmotorsport.com/precisio...ifts-p-26.html

these really do help, i fitted mine the other day, its quality to see how fast you change the gears!
lol cheers mate, didnt no whether i was bein slow or not
Old 4th September 2006, 18:31   #78
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

But would something along the lines of a remap/chip not be able to increase the rpm limit

yes they can.

so we've established that the best way to make a vtr hit 60 in 2nd is to raise the limiter! lol. would that mean ur guna burn ur engine/gearbox etc out even quiker ye

depending on how high your RPM limit is set will determine what needs upgrading.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:32   #79
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

so to end this and bcak to the original question, lol

the ONLY 2 ways to increase gear speed is to

A)fit a longer gearbox
or
B)raise rev limit
Old 4th September 2006, 18:32   #80
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanvtr81
absolutely, but there has to be more air being forced in in the first place (ie turbo.s/charger ) though which was my point.
So going from what youve just said there you could just relocate the inlet to somewhere recieving more air? As in a headlight intake?
Closed Thread