Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 1st December 2009, 16:59   #21
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

I have a 5 channel mixer and was wondering how i could connect my PC to use virtual DJ aswell as my CDJs?

I want left CDJ on first channel
Second CDJ on second channel
Left PC track on channel third channel
And right PC track on channel 4

And i have a ipod in channel 5, just wondering how i can connect the laptop? I am having a play around now btw
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 17:16   #22
djmartin
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): BMW 3.0 X3,toyota mr2 & Skyline R33
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!

what gear is it you have?

if the gear does not have usb or Midi then im affraid it aint goin to happen.

only way around it is to go out and buy serato final scratch.

which you put the cds (provided) into the Cdj's and there isa box connected to your mixer with audio inputs and outputs. which then connects to your pc and the software which is usally traktor. reads the audio signals and you are some how able to control all the sofwares functions via your cdj.

rather funky and clever technology tbh!
thank you mr skyline man
djmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 17:20   #23
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

I was thinking of getting 2 phonos for channel 2 and 3 then putting them into a mini jack into a PC?
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:32   #24
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

martins right mate.. there is a small box interface which tells the pc mixing software what your doing with your equipment...
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 00:11   #25
dannyboy2005
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Punt -y0
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
dannyboy2005 will become famous soon enough

Time coded vinyl's ftw, using a Mac.
dannyboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 00:16   #26
dannyboy2005
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Punt -y0
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
dannyboy2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlvtr88 View Post
right firstly, virtual dj is designed to be used with the vinyl that you can buy which then controlls virtual dj... fair enough then it may be cool to use...just like serato scratch... but if your not looking to spend loads get some cdjs ... vinyl is great but you will forever be buying wax and it gets a bit costly... I have T tables and numark axis 9 cdjs and i love them... there about 235 a peice but there accurate and durable and have effects built in... dont get those american audio ones that are going for cheap at the minute ( used to be called citronics ) there crap.. i used them in oxygen rooms in brum and i hate them with a passion... it may be because there battered but i just reccomend the axis 9s ... AshleyP touched on a good point too... maybe you hear a track you like only to find out its only available on digital download ... thats where your cdjs come in ... i am Not saying vinyl is dead but ... iff you want to get back into it without burning too much cash cdjs are the way forward.

only downsides are the tradition of vynil being lost, tracks getting played that arent good enough to get played, and DJ's having to sort through 1000's of tracks. ***Good point ashley***... the amount of times i hear an amateur production with too much top end or bass etc, being played live is beyond me...

Virtual Dj isn't only designed for Vinyls, n00b.

As for a matter of fact, even CDJ's work perfectly fine with it.

I've bought the programme and bought a controller (Hercules RMX) and i can say, mixing/ scratching and remixing is sooo fun. I'm saving up for a Numark N97

You can buy time coded vinyl's. Its basically a controller but you spin a vinyl. The vinyl is time coded so you never have to change the vinyl, its just one big controller you plug into your USB port
dannyboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:58   #27
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

Noob ?.. Mate i been Djing for years and i am aware that you can use other control sources.. im not stupid, i was merely pointing out one of the things, while stil trying to help the guy who started the thread as he said he is after something cheap and serato scratch is not cheap really .. and if your going to use cdjs to control it then it becomes even more expensive cause he has to buy cjds too.
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:11   #28
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
CDJ's or a mac.

Also IT section.
He's after dirt cheap stuff is he not?

CDJ's are renowned for being WAAAAAYYY over-priced. Although they are ACE for what they are!

I feel CDJ / CD Turntables flatter the DJ too much with onboard effects, pitch bend (which you will start leaning on), and all the other shizzle you just dont get in a club on a pair of Techies.

Ive got some 1210's and Im never gonan sell 'em, because when I DJ somewhere else, what do I use? Yes, Technics!

Get yourself some Second Hand 1210/1200's off Ebay / Local Newspaper.

Then you might not find the need to upgrade.

Mixer wise, I have a Denon DNX1500, similar to a DJM600, Go for Pioneer, A&H, Denon, Rane, Vestax etc

Avoid Gemini, Numark, Stanton, Reloop etc.

Last edited by Ryyy; 15th December 2009 at 11:18.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 12:38   #29
djmartin
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!

if its cheapness your after then go for stanton c314's

do MP3 aswell

mixer wise as your a noob just get a pioneer djm300

FX you cna use on the cd decks so you in a sence have a djm600 set up due to the cd decks havea built in sampler aswell.

so your getting the same amount of power for a fraction of the price!!!!!!!

you could if you wanted put two sound cards in your computer. let one card read one side of the software and the other of course read the other player.
thank you mr skyline man
Old 15th December 2009, 12:55   #30
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

For club use Vinyl is dead imo

What DJ wants to cart around hundreds of Vinyl when he could have truck loads worth on one memory stick / SD card?
Old 15th December 2009, 22:23   #31
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_vtr View Post

What DJ wants to cart around hundreds of Vinyl when he could have truck loads worth on one memory stick / SD card?
you dont go to many clubs do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 22:29   #32
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_vtr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
you dont go to many clubs do you?
I do though and tend to agree, although the use of vinyl is very genre specific now.

There are genres where its still got a stronger following but i can probably count on one hand the amount of times ive seen 1210s used this year over the mac/cdj.

Dnb/dubstep and some of the more eclectic people in the house scene are really where it seems to get any use now.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:35   #33
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

theres quite a lot of variables imo

older Dj's often use vynil

CD's are more used for unreleased tracks, although becomming more avaliable and widley used

i see a large mixture of vynil and CD when out and about in "proper" clubs and events

seems a lot more small time DJ's prefer to use CD's being cheaper. having said that, big names often use CD's for various reasons.

i'd say "dying" is a more fitting term, as opposed to "dead"
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 15th December 2009, 22:39   #34
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
theres quite a lot of variables imo

older Dj's often use vynil

CD's are more used for unreleased tracks, although becomming more avaliable and widley used

i see a large mixture of vynil and CD when out and about in "proper" clubs and events

seems a lot more small time DJ's prefer to use CD's being cheaper. having said that, big names often use CD's for various reasons.

i'd say "dying" is a more fitting term, as opposed to "dead"
Older djs? Nah dont agree, if anything most of the older djs seem more ahead of everyone else with new technology.

Like i said, its more genre specific, and the fashion which follows. Certain scenes its still seen as far far cooler to be on vinyl than anything else.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:55   #35
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

fair point, guess it's a personal choice

i agree with the traditionalist view of it being "cooler to use vynil"

and too many people say, "your not doing it properly if on CD's" allthough imo not true.
Quote:
Old 15th December 2009, 22:58   #36
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
fair point, guess it's a personal choice

i agree with the traditionalist view of it being "cooler to use vynil"

and too many people say, "your not doing it properly if on CD's" allthough imo not true.
again its more genre and fashion specific. Certain fashion and trend followers will all bang on about vinyl still. Often theyre the people you will see wearing 'different' forms of outfits or are just mellow lol.

Most have adopted and embraced the change and realise the benifits from other formats.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:00   #37
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
again its more genre and fashion specific. Certain fashion and trend followers will all bang on about vinyl still. Often theyre the people you will see wearing 'different' forms of outfits or are just mellow lol.

Most have adopted and embraced the change and realise the benifits from other formats.
reading my previous comment back doesnt sound right lol

i meant i agree with the point you made regarding it beeing seen to be cooler, although it's really down to the DJ's preferance
Quote:
Old 15th December 2009, 23:01   #38
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
He's after dirt cheap stuff is he not?

Ive got some 1210's and Im never gonan sell 'em, because when I DJ somewhere else, what do I use? Yes, Technics!

Get yourself some Second Hand 1210/1200's off Ebay / Local Newspaper.
And I forgot to reply, an initial start up cost isnt allways the cheapest option, with the price and availability of vinyl the 1210s are not allways a good choice for alot of people. As per posts with ashley its more genre specific as to which labels still run a large enough print run on 12" at a decent price, but in reality most people dowloading music a laptop or CD based medium is far more economical. My initial CDJ comment was more as a tarring all forms of CD based turntable with the same term as the pioneers.

And thats coming from someone who still has a collection of plastic....

Last edited by Ryan; 15th December 2009 at 23:04.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 22:25   #39
djmartin
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

if you want to be really specific and learn the skills well. buy a mixture.

i.e 1 cdj and 1 turntable and a mixer.

or if you like cdjs get 2 cdjs and one turntable.

either way you will progress your skill level and get comfortable with both formats.
buying records is pritty easy still. EBAY! you will be amazed what sells on there.

for example you could spend £200 and have one of the sickest trance collections of classics and upto date stuff. yeh you have to take pot luck and pray the seller looked after them but thats part of ebay I suppose lol.
thank you mr skyline man