Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 2nd April 2011, 09:00   #1
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MG ZR 1.4
TheVtrKid is on a distinguished road
Default CD writing, crackling sound

I've tried a few times now and lately everytime i've tried to burn a cd, the sound is all crackly when it gets to bass parts of the song. I've burnt loads cds before and they've been fine, but its just in the last couple weeks. I've got a philips DVD RW and i use burn4free program. I thought it was the program at first because when i started it up, it kept asking to updating, but kept cancelling, but i eventually updated it to the latest but its still the same. Could i need new DVD RW? Don't think it'll be the discs, they've been fine before and i've wasted 5 of them trying. Cheers
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:56   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

either you're using cheap crap blanks (which tend to age badly and cause that sort of problem within months). Because they have been fine before does not mean they stay fine. I have seen some that don't last 6 months.

The worst brands I have seen so far are Princo, Traxdata and Sony(the latter because the top layer get scratched easily)

either your CD drive is dirty.

either your CD drive is dying.

Your options are to clean your drive and to try a different brand of CDs.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:10   #3
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

well i use maxell cds, but i've tried 5 of them now and they all do it, so im guessing its probly the cd writer. How do i clean it though?
Old 4th April 2011, 08:41   #4
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

open it up and clean the lens + lens assembly.
Old 7th April 2011, 21:07   #5
darael
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 1998 Saxo 1.1i
darael is on a distinguished road

What's the exact model of the Philips drive? A firmware update could help.

It does sound like you might burning too fast though. Try burning at the slowest speed, and post your results.
darael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 09:44   #6
Manu
Saxperience Addict

How old is that CD burner, and have you tried other brands of discs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darael View Post
It does sound like you might burning too fast though. Try burning at the slowest speed, and post your results.
bullcrap. It is better to burn a disc at the speed it is designed for.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/med...a-concepts.htm
Quote:
A firmware update could help.
double bullcrap.

Last edited by Manu; 8th April 2011 at 09:49.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:07   #7
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

i always burn 1 speed less than the maximum speed. I never burn at top speed. Anyway i got a new DVD RW off ebay, £12 and i changed my burning program from that burn4free crap to free easy burner. Burnt a cd and it was fine. Only problem is, i burn MP3 cds for my car, so i can have like 12 albums on 1 disc, but the free easy burner program doesn't let you save the compilation so you can't go back and edit it at a later date. Anyone know of a good burning program for burning MP3 cds etc? I used to have nero startsmart, that was awesome, but its not compatible with windows 7