Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 22nd January 2017, 15:31   #1
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!
Post Premium Membership Benefits & Changes?

For many years, the main source of support for the running costs of this community has come from members purchasing Premium Membership.

With the community no longer as busy as it once was and the number of Premium members significantly reduced, I'd like to hear your views on what would make you consider purchasing Premium Membership... and also what is stopping you from doing so.

Maybe you don't realise it exists? Maybe you think it's too expensive? Maybe you think you wont use any of the benefits?

Let me know please...

The premium member benefits were introduced many years ago and the internet has changed quite a lot since (for example, uploading photos online is now a lot easier than it used to be), so if you think some changes are needed to make the Premium Member benefits more attractive and useful, let me know what you think needs to change.

Currently only the 'online' Premium Membership is available, but the previous 'Full' membership could make a return if there is enough interest to make the setup worthwhile.

Have your say...

Current Online Premium Member benefits shown below :
  1. Ability to use Premium Member Pager System (sax- instant messenger)
  2. Ability to upload & ATTACH images to forum posts (Upload quota 30.0Mb)
  3. Direct acccess to the for sale & wanted forums (postal details confimed via Paypal)
  4. Ability to create your own user picture album (store max. 100 pictures)
  5. Ability to directly UPLOAD a custom avatar image to user profile. (usually need >100 posts)
  6. Ability to directly UPLOAD a profile picture to user profile. (usually need >100 posts)
  7. Ability to add signature text/images to forum posts. (usually need >100 posts)
  8. Access to Premium Member How-To Guides
  9. Access to Premium Member Videos
  10. Access to Premium Member forums
  11. Ability to store 240 private messages. (usually 50 (new member) or 80 (regular))
  12. Ability to send a private message to 5 people at once. (usually 1 (new member) or 2 (regular))
  13. Ability to edit forum posts and post titles (usually need >100 posts)
  14. Username will appear in bold type face within the online users bar, including a red 'P' to signify Premium Member.
  15. User rank will change to Premium Member and show 5-gold stars.
  16. Ability to use 'invisible mode' (username will not appear in the users online bar).
  17. Ability to to register for Premium Member Prize Draws.
  18. Eligible for special discounts offered by select companies.
  19. Ability to post and manage your own BLOG.
  20. Ability to access the online Saxperiece Games Arcade.
  21. Ability to create user-defined social groups to chat with members with common interests.
  22. Ability to edit the colour scheme of your user profile page.
  23. Ability to add your vehicle(s) to the Saxperience E-Garage.

Simo

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:54   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

What's the difference between online and full membership now?

Is it still stickers, card and an email address?
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:46   #3
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

They are the normal differences yes... but full is not currently available. I need to figure out if changes are needed before committing to anything with regard to 'full' membership.

Simo

Quote:
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:37   #4
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
For many years, the main source of support for the running costs of this community has come from members purchasing Premium Membership.

With the community no longer as busy as it once was and the number of Premium members significantly reduced, I'd like to hear your views on what would make you consider purchasing Premium Membership... and also what is stopping you from doing so.

Maybe you don't realise it exists? Maybe you think it's too expensive? Maybe you think you wont use any of the benefits?

Let me know please...

The premium member benefits were introduced many years ago and the internet has changed quite a lot since (for example, uploading photos online is now a lot easier than it used to be), so if you think some changes are needed to make the Premium Member benefits more attractive and useful, let me know what you think needs to change.

Currently only the 'online' Premium Membership is available, but the previous 'Full' membership could make a return if there is enough interest to make the setup worthwhile.

Have your say...

Current Online Premium Member benefits shown below :
  1. Ability to use Premium Member Pager System (sax- instant messenger)
  2. Ability to upload & ATTACH images to forum posts (Upload quota 30.0Mb)
  3. Direct acccess to the for sale & wanted forums (postal details confimed via Paypal)
  4. Ability to create your own user picture album (store max. 100 pictures)
  5. Ability to directly UPLOAD a custom avatar image to user profile. (usually need >100 posts)
  6. Ability to directly UPLOAD a profile picture to user profile. (usually need >100 posts)
  7. Ability to add signature text/images to forum posts. (usually need >100 posts)
  8. Access to Premium Member How-To Guides
  9. Access to Premium Member Videos
  10. Access to Premium Member forums
  11. Ability to store 240 private messages. (usually 50 (new member) or 80 (regular))
  12. Ability to send a private message to 5 people at once. (usually 1 (new member) or 2 (regular))
  13. Ability to edit forum posts and post titles (usually need >100 posts)
  14. Username will appear in bold type face within the online users bar, including a red 'P' to signify Premium Member.
  15. User rank will change to Premium Member and show 5-gold stars.
  16. Ability to use 'invisible mode' (username will not appear in the users online bar).
  17. Ability to to register for Premium Member Prize Draws.
  18. Eligible for special discounts offered by select companies.
  19. Ability to post and manage your own BLOG.
  20. Ability to access the online Saxperiece Games Arcade.
  21. Ability to create user-defined social groups to chat with members with common interests.
  22. Ability to edit the colour scheme of your user profile page.
  23. Ability to add your vehicle(s) to the Saxperience E-Garage.

Simo
Now, I wouldn't like this to be seen as criticism in any way - i'm currently waiting on payday coming around after whats been something like a 6 week month since being paid early in December - but i'll most likely purchase a premium membership for the sake of supporting the site regardless.

But, in my opinion, a lot of the features are either somewhat redundant to me (eg the ones you need >100 posts for), or I just wouldn't use at the moment.

Of all the ones you've listed, I've put in bold the ones which WOULD currently benefit me.

LIke I say - I don't want it to sound negative in any way, more constructive than anything else, but theres a lot of features in there which I just wouldn't use - not sure if perhaps other members are in the same boat?

Last edited by ESD1711; 23rd January 2017 at 06:39.
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:53   #5
Simop
Administrator

This thread is for people to discuss what is of interest to them so don't worry about criticism. Just be honest

For me he main benefits would be uploading photos directly, but that wasn't something you thought would benefit yourself.

That's why it's interesting to find out what people are interested in and if changes can be made to make membership benefits better/more upto date that's what I'd like to get out of this thread.

Thanks

Simo

Quote:
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:36   #6
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road

I guess for uploading photos i'm just so used to chucking anything I want on to photobucket where I can use it across different forums / platforms etc - its habit more than anything else.

But yeah, can see why uploading pics directly in to a thread would be a handy thing to have, particularly if there are folk who perhaps aren't all that savy with image uploading and IMG tags etc.

For me, I think i'd rather see the premium membership include something like a sticker pack / lanyard / keyring type thing together with access to preferential discounts or whatever - but appreciate those aren't necessarily easy to set up and require a lot of effort to arrange and manage.

Above all, I probably consider the fee as more of a donation than anything else - given the amount of information and useful advice I've taken from this site - I don't grudge that and don't really expect a whole lot in return for the sake of a tenner.
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:54   #7
elliotthorwood
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 (mk2 in disguise) vtr turbo.. sort of. (N3 EBH
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
elliotthorwood is on a distinguished road

I agree ^^ i see it more as a donation towards all the information and help you can gain from the site. I guess some people don't appreciate that enough to cough up the money. i rarely post on here but i am always lurking, mostly because i have nothing useful to say and not very funny.

been a member for 2,430,720 minutes now and have been premium for most of it, in the gaps it has been because i haven't realised it has run out. which is right now so i shall sort that out!
elliotthorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 13:45   #8
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Another club im on socially has a Club Donor scheme. Its not really giving a privilege but people support the club and its noted on their name rather than calling them a member.
Maybe do similar but if you can get perks at the same time thats even better....
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 15:38   #9
deano_123
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road

It could come with a free blow up doll but if nobody is posting on the site and there is no content of interest then there is no benefit to that lovely list of brucey bonuses is there
Old 26th January 2017, 16:24   #10
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
It could come with a free blow up doll but if nobody is posting on the site and there is no content of interest then there is no benefit to that lovely list of brucey bonuses is there
This is my opinion, it's alright when you need advise but for us that don't have a saxo there is no benefit. Especially when it's one or 2 members giving the advise all the time.
Old 26th January 2017, 22:56   #11
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Bare with me on this one:

One thing that I've come across recently is that the early Mk1 VTS now qualifies for modern classic type insurance. I guess over coming years the later ones and some other models may also qualify.

Part of the application usually asks if you're the member of a club. I assuming that a slight discount is given, however, my stumbling block usually comes when it asks for the club. Saxperience doesn't feature on the dropdown menu but 'other club' does. It invites you to name your club and include your membership number.

So if a discount was available for insurance by being a club member (membership number only issued to premium members- if the insurer wanted to double check they could easily see the premium P next to the username) then it would make sense to join & support the club.

Hopefully I havn't interpreted that wrong as surely there would be no point having the option to state that you're a club member otherwise.
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 05:38   #12
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
This is my opinion, it's alright when you need advise but for us that don't have a saxo there is no benefit. Especially when it's one or 2 members giving the advise all the time.

And that's fair enough...

But the point I have tried to make many times in recent months is that if the community don't step up to the table with a way to support the running costs of this community, it will cease to exist.

Whether funding comes from Premium membership, clicking ad banners, donations, or pimping out blow-up dolls, the end result needs to be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
Bare with me on this one:

One thing that I've come across recently is that the early Mk1 VTS now qualifies for modern classic type insurance. I guess over coming years the later ones and some other models may also qualify.

Part of the application usually asks if you're the member of a club. I assuming that a slight discount is given, however, my stumbling block usually comes when it asks for the club. Saxperience doesn't feature on the dropdown menu but 'other club' does. It invites you to name your club and include your membership number.

So if a discount was available for insurance by being a club member (membership number only issued to premium members- if the insurer wanted to double check they could easily see the premium P next to the username) then it would make sense to join & support the club.

Hopefully I havn't interpreted that wrong as surely there would be no point having the option to state that you're a club member otherwise.
Some insurers do just use club name and take it for granted you are a member, others pass referral codes, which are typically communicated in member only areas. Both work.

Out of interest... I will be looking to get the VTS back on the road soon (I hope). Which insurer is listing the VTS as modern-classic? Could be worth a look...

Quote:
Old 27th January 2017, 05:39   #13
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Another club im on socially has a Club Donor scheme. Its not really giving a privilege but people support the club and its noted on their name rather than calling them a member.
Maybe do similar but if you can get perks at the same time thats even better....
Donations is something I used to do a LONG time ago before Premium membership was introduced. Its something I can consider again.

Thanks.

Quote:
Old 27th January 2017, 13:40   #14
holdawayt
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Nissan 200sx S14a
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
holdawayt is on a distinguished road

I only paid for premium back in the day because it got me access to the premium section of the forum and there was normally a lot of banter in premium gen chat.

6 years later and I doubt I'd dream of paying towards the forum, most of the members I used to speak to a lot are on my facebook and I've had no interest in Saxos since mine blew up 5 years ago.

Not trying to be negative here, but personally I wouldn't miss the forum if it died off.

Tom.
Old 27th January 2017, 20:11   #15
willsy
West Midlands

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Some insurers do just use club name and take it for granted you are a member, others pass referral codes, which are typically communicated in member only areas. Both work.

Out of interest... I will be looking to get the VTS back on the road soon (I hope). Which insurer is listing the VTS as modern-classic? Could be worth a look...
Got mine with Lancaster. I think Craigy180 has got one on his aswel. Usual criteria of can't be your main car, limited mileage (not sure what the limit is?) mines standard so I'm not sure if there's any modification restrictions. Can't grumble at £200 fully comp :-)
How long has yours been off the road now? Last time I remember seeing it was Trax at Silverstone before I did the 16V conversion on the old yellow Saxo, many moons ago!
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:51   #16
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdawayt View Post

6 years later and I doubt I'd dream of paying towards the forum, most of the members I used to speak to a lot are on my facebook and I've had no interest in Saxos since mine blew up 5 years ago.

Not trying to be negative here, but personally I wouldn't miss the forum if it died off.

Tom.
That's like me saying i wouldn't care if scoobynet died because I don't own a subaru. It's kind of short sighted though as in the future you or your mates may well end up with a saxo again and all the posts, guides, how to's etc will be lost forever.

I'm not saying you should donate, just that the attitude of 'don't care if it dies off' is a bad one.
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 09:45   #17
BackSheep
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR 1.6 8v
BackSheep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
That's like me saying i wouldn't care if scoobynet died because I don't own a subaru. It's kind of short sighted though as in the future you or your mates may well end up with a saxo again and all the posts, guides, how to's etc will be lost forever.

I'm not saying you should donate, just that the attitude of 'don't care if it dies off' is a bad one.
You're definitely right there - the amount this forum has helped me is unbelievable. Even now sometimes I'll just search Google with my question and Saxperience shows result after result.

---

£10/year is pretty decent imo, especially considering I originally thought it was £10/month.
BackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:57   #18
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSheep View Post
You're definitely right there - the amount this forum has helped me is unbelievable. Even now sometimes I'll just search Google with my question and Saxperience shows result after result.

---

£10/year is pretty decent imo, especially considering I originally thought it was £10/month.
That's exactly how I found the site, bought a saxo, needed to look up an issue and BAM - first 20 results on google were all sax-p.
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 12:03   #19
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post

Why would he end up with another saxo, I wouldn't take a saxo for love or money, they are old cars with a huge amount of problems that he's got out of once .
Old 8th February 2017, 12:24   #20
BackSheep
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR 1.6 8v
BackSheep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
Why would he end up with another saxo, I wouldn't take a saxo for love or money, they are old cars with a huge amount of problems that he's got out of once .
It's a great first car, so others may find all the posts helpful, even if he doesn't get another one - others he may or may not know may get one.
BackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote