Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 21st September 2008, 16:59   #1
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member
Default Took a plunge.....

And decided to upgrade my pc this weekend!

Have just bought a 9800GTX+ and AMD Phenom 9850 Black edition quad core and Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system!

Runs BIOSHOCK on full settings, DX10 , full AA and AF without any problems atall..... looks so much nicer than the xbox360 version and easier to control. I think ive been converted back to being a pc gamer! I was shocked when i opened the box for the 9800GTX+ , the card is HUGE!! I had to dismantle my case to get it to fit in! Put it all back together and coulnt get it to POST but i found out i had to update the bios to support the new quad core, after that it booted straight up.(phew!!)

Full spec:

AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition (Overclocked to 2.8ghz)
Geforce 9800GTX+ 512mb DDR3 (overclocked to 812mhz core)
Asus M2N32SLI-DELUXE motherboard
3GB CORSAIR DDR2 800mhz
Antec 900 Gaming Case
320GB Seagate Barracuda
Creative Gamer Sond Card
Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Not one blue screen of Death so farr, im very impressed with it, has anyone else got a simular setup? Just need to buy some decent games now

Its immense. Had forgotten how good the pc is when you have a decent spec, beats ps3 , xbox360 hands down

Last edited by DarylVTR; 21st September 2008 at 19:04.
DarylVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:03   #2
Elliott
Saxperience Post Whore
East Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): None.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!Elliott is a great team player!

sounds like a good set-up!
how much did it all cost?
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:05   #3
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

The 9800GTX+ was £128 and the Phenom 9550 was £116 so not bad atall.

I had the rest already. Was running a Athlon x2 5600+ and 8600GT before. Much better now.

P.S reason i went for the AMD chip was because my motherboard supported it with a BIOS update so didnt have to buy a new board. If i was buying a new board i would have gone INTEL but i am 100% happy with the Phenom

Last edited by DarylVTR; 21st September 2008 at 17:11.
DarylVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:30   #4
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

RE: Graphics cards...what happened to technology getting smaller! most cards i see these days take up 2 slots, have a fan from a 747 engine and need scaffolding to hold them up
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 18:11   #5
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylVTR View Post
The 9800GTX+ was £128 and the Phenom 9550 was £116 so not bad atall.

P.S reason i went for the AMD chip was because my motherboard supported it with a BIOS update so didnt have to buy a new board. If i was buying a new board i would have gone INTEL but i am 100% happy with the Phenom
Phenom 9550? You said 9850 earlier!! Hehe, yeah my setup is pretty much the same, ive only got 2gb of 1066mhz RAM, Phenom 9850 (with the BIOS update for my mobo, which now takes up to the 9950) and an 8800GT XXX XFX card.

Have been browsing about now though and am swinging toward 2x 4870X2 1GB Radeon Cards for my GB-MA790FX-DQ6 mobo instead of my 8800GT XXX Edition GPU.

The Phenom are a nice processor, nice and stable, not used a QC Intel one yet, might consider building one for extreme gaming though dont like the prices of the C2Q Extreme cpu's though at the moment!

Do me a favor, if you have Crysis, let me know if you get it running ok, as I used to be able to play everything on Maximum and it ran as smooth as my arse,but since a re-install it doesnt

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 18:15   #6
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

I havnt got crysis mate, not sure weather to buy it again due to all the problems with it. Apparently Warhead is good and doesnt need the original to run.

Sorry i meant 9850! Nice stable system which im suprised at, HL2 is incredible, used to have it on ps3 and it sucked compared to pc version (graphics wise)

Games i wanna get are:

COD4
COD5
Crysis + Warhead
Flight simulator x

Its nice just to be able to use your pc the second it boots up and everything is lightening speed again
Old 21st September 2008, 18:17   #7
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkostu View Post
RE: Graphics cards...what happened to technology getting smaller! most cards i see these days take up 2 slots, have a fan from a 747 engine and need scaffolding to hold them up

Lol i know, mine is a twin slot. Its HUGE... weighs a tonne.... but to be honest, i like them the way they are, they look beefy in the case with a side window

My power hungry beast also needs 2 PCI-E power connectors to be attached.... LOOK at the size of this beast!

Old 22nd September 2008, 08:12   #8
MarkyG
Established Member

MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Thats not far off the size of the 8800GT card i have!!

The 9850 is a lovely chip for the price. Got COD4 and runs like hell on mine , Crysis will work but craqshes a lot and says my graphics driver stopped working, then crysis stops working. wait til it comes down in price. Crysis Warhead is on pre-order for me as well as C&C: RA3

Are you runining Vista or XP Pro?

Old 22nd September 2008, 17:43   #9
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

Pre-order??? Its already out mate.

Il try crysis one day when i can be bothered to buy it. GRID runs soooo sweet on my pc but it has flickering lines across it every few seconds, i think its a known bug thou. Its much bigger than a 8800GT in real life! I used to have the 8800GTS 512mb and its bigger than that!

Im running Windows VISTA ULTIMATE 64bit.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:49   #10
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

sounds like a nice rig mate.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:54   #11
MarkyG
Established Member

Quote:
Pre-order??? Its already out mate.
I meant C&C: RA3! Got Warhead here with me

Old 23rd September 2008, 14:55   #12
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

Cool is Warhead worth buying??

Still no BSOD or crashing, love my pc again now!.. vista x64 with sp1 has been really reliable! (Never thought id say that about a windows product)
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:28   #13
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

i understand why you bought what you bought, after all i used to love my pc for gaming. However is the constant need to buy new stuff not getting to you already? Moved to consoles for that exact reason and the advent of console online play in my mind has stopped any desire I have to get back to PC gaming?

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:25   #14
Brooksy
Frequent Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3 Quattro
Brooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to beholdBrooksy is a splendid one to behold

I'm 50/50 with that reason, i love the use of both console and PC gaming. IMO, you can't beat FPS games with PC and also games such as CnC & Age of empires.

But with consoles you can't beat consoles for games like racing, sports games etc. And the main reason is having your mates round too. So there is good arguments for both sides.

On the other note: Looks like a very good set up there Daryl. *jealous*
Old 24th September 2008, 15:41   #15
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

hehe I think pc is best all round as high spec parts benefits other uses aswell (encoding, video, music, applications) I also find it alot better to play fps with mouse and keyboard!

Although technology keeps moving on and it does get pricey i normally only update when i need to or every 6 months or so just to keep up with things.

Agreed consol if you play with mates and sports games etc. PC if your a lonely geek with too much money

I also had no desire untill recently to move over to pc but i forgot how brilliant it is compared to consols if your into your graphics and gaming
Old 24th September 2008, 17:00   #16
MarkyG
Established Member

Quote:
Cool is Warhead worth buying??

Still no BSOD or crashing, love my pc again now!.. vista x64 with sp1 has been really reliable! (Never thought id say that about a windows product)
to be honest mate ive not even opened the wrapper, work has had me up all night and day getting things done ive not had a chance to play it yet!

will let you know soon enough fella