Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 18th October 2006, 01:56   #1
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!
Default FAQ - Rev problems, coil packs & spark plugs

OK it seems on a weekly basis a new thread gets made about someone having a rev or idle problem and they neglect to use the search function... so im going to try and answer all of the questions they might have, in one easy to read thread :Y:

My car seems to hold onto it's rev's for too long / my car rev's on it's own without touching the accelerator:

This could be caused by several things, but the most likely is this.
Check the green engine coolant temperature sensor (right hand side of engine), check to see if it is corroded... (see picture for location)

If it is corroded your car will think it is colder than it actually is, so your car will over rev to compensate for this...

My car was reving itself to 4-5,000 rpm without touching the accelerator, i replaced the green sensor as it was corroded and now my car idles perfectly at around 750rpm...

To change the sensor - Undo the electrical clip, then you can start undoing the nut on it until it becomes loose enough to hand loosen... then have your new sensor ready... and swap them over asap... coolant wont come gushing out, just dribbles... is only a pretty small hole...
It's a really easy job to do... i changed mine when it was pitch black under torch light and still found it easy... The sensor itself shouldn't cost you that much from eurocarparts.com

If this does not resolve your problem then here are other possibilities:
idle actuator valve, map sensor, throttle position sensor

My car appears to under rev/cut out and sometimes stalls when idling:

This could be caused by several problems. Your coil pack may be faulty or your stepper motor. Your spark plugs may need cleaning/replacing. Your HT leads may need replacing (only present in some saxo's).

If your car's engine management light comes on whilst your car is juddering/cutting out then i would recommend getting a diagnostics check done as it will confirm whether it is the coil pack that has gone.

Where is my coil pack located? How do i change it? and how can i access the spark plugs?:

this engine bay is that of a 99 westcoast - and may vary between saxo models. The coil pack position is indicated by the red arrow.

Firstly you need to ascertain which coil pack you need as there are two main shapes. If your car has HT leads you will need the 4 in a square block. If your car doesn't have HT leads like the westcoast and the furio you need the 4 in a line. Here are the two main types of saxo coilpack:

What tools will you need to remove it? a decent socket set (size 10mm) to avoid stripping the bolts. Make sure you do it when the engine is COOL! Although this is a very simple job to do, it is only simple if you know how it's done.

Now first things first. Remove the oil breather tube from the airbox and rocker cover:

Then disconnect these two connector blocks, one from the coil pack and the other from the end of the airbox.

Then using the socket set undo the two nuts that secure the coil pack in place. Being careful when removing the left hand side nut as there is a wiring mount attached to the bolt.

Once disconnected and unbolted simply lift up and out the old coilpack and replace with the new one :Y: and carry out the reverse of the above method.

If you want to access your spark plugs you must first remove your coil pack, the spark plugs are then accessible...they are located in the wells underneath the coil pack... as shown by the red arrow in the image below:

That concludes my FAQ for now, and im sure it will be updated shortly!
Please feel free to add information that may be beneficial to others!

Hope that is of some help to some of you!
Alex
Old 18th October 2006, 02:07   #2
PRICEY-VTS
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): jdm honda civic type-r
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
PRICEY-VTS has a spectacular aura aboutPRICEY-VTS has a spectacular aura aboutPRICEY-VTS has a spectacular aura about

so thats why my rev counter isnt working at all then hopefully bud cheers

Last edited by PRICEY-VTS; 18th October 2006 at 02:43.
PRICEY-VTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 02:43   #3
scook
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS (Mrk 2)
scook will become famous soon enough

spot on. i will check it out on mine as it doesent idle too well
Old 18th October 2006, 08:02   #4
carter
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): GOLF R32
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
carter is a name known to allcarter is a name known to allcarter is a name known to allcarter is a name known to allcarter is a name known to allcarter is a name known to all

nice one mate, im sure this will be made in to a guide or a sticky. rep given
Old 18th October 2006, 09:14   #5
Connor_scotland
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 4th Impreza of the year - 391bhp - Audi S4 Avant,
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Connor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team member

good on ya mate
Old 18th October 2006, 09:29   #6
saxodan
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): Golf
saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!

Been having this problem too! Exaclly as you described, been speaking to a few car nerds and apparnlty cars start to do this at this time of year due to the dampness in the air aswell, my problem was solved by doing this every morning, before you start the car give the accelertor two pumps then as you turn the key rev the car a bit and it solved my crappy idle.

Great thread mind you going to have a look at the car this weekend with this guide :thumbup:
saxodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 13:35   #7
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Pinned and moved to engines, great work Al!

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 13:41   #8
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk1
Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

any chance you can sort the pictures out so that they all work?
Billog_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 14:00   #9
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billog_VTR View Post
any chance you can sort the pictures out so that they all work?
:shock: They all work for me mate

Which ones don't work for you?
I will try and reupload them.

Alex
Old 18th October 2006, 16:44   #10
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk1
Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioAL View Post
:shock: They all work for me mate

Which ones don't work for you?
I will try and reupload them.

Alex
they all work fine now mate, might just have been works shitty internet.
Billog_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 23:16   #11
jphni20
L-plater

Car(s): Icelandic Grey Mk2 VTR
jphni20 is on a distinguished road

Hi, my 02 VTR will occasionaly rev up and down to just over 1k nearly cutting out each time when i come to traffic lights or whatever. I had lived with it as it will usually go away after a few days but it started today again and now it will cut out. So it will rev up and down a few times then cut out completely.

I cleaned the ICV when it first started doing it but didnt make any difference.

Its seems to mostly do it if I let the revs drop quickly (if that makes a difference).

Would you replace the MAP sensor or ICV first?

Also read that it could be a dirty fuel filter so gonna change that anyway as it prob needs doing.

cheers
jphni20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 14:06   #12
dsh85
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): focus tdci, clio v6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!

what about diffrent models i can get a few pics of the vts engine if needed even one showing the coil pack although some idiot is polishing the rocker
Old 18th October 2006, 14:16   #13
jonesyFX
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): 172 Phase 1
jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!jonesyFX is a great team player!

this happened when i adjusted my accelarator cable (was to tight)

sure you havent been playing with yours (the accelerator cable!!!)
Old 18th October 2006, 14:24   #14
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
what about diffrent models i can get a few pics of the vts engine if needed even one showing the coil pack although some idiot is polishing the rocker
You had to be difficult didn't you! Nah any other pictures would be great, i believe when the admin have a little more time on their hands they may make this into an actual FAQ, so if you submit some more pictures they will be added there :Y:

Quote:
this happened when i adjusted my accelarator cable (was to tight)
Surely if your accelerator cable was too tight your car would idle constantly at the same level... im talking about them fluctuating, suddenly shooting up and then down, or holding onto the revs for a long time (it takes a long time for the revs to return to the idle level when the clutch is dipped)...

Alex
Old 18th October 2006, 14:24   #15
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Superb work there

Anyone know where this sensor is on the mighty VTS? Mines started to play up and give a lower reading on the temp gadge
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 14:31   #16
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Anyone know where this sensor is on the mighty VTS? Mines started to play up and give a lower reading on the temp gadge
have u got an engine bay piccy mate?

Alex
Old 18th October 2006, 14:33   #17
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Ich liebe Google Images
Old 18th October 2006, 14:40   #18
dsh85
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): focus tdci, clio v6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!

my knowledge is limatable! the coil pack is under the citroen badge yes?

sensors i have no idea but that alarm is in a funny place
Old 18th October 2006, 14:45   #19
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Lol he has cabled tied his alarm on...

I would love google images if that car didn't have such a big breather filter...
If you use mattwesty's uber clean engine bay on the other hand... i think the sensors are here...

Alex
Old 18th October 2006, 14:47   #20
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Gangstar! I'll clean the fucker up properly tonight. There's loads of oil about under there at the moment,however, never fear, I'll spank the westymeister for under bonnet cleanliness next year