Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 13th June 2015, 15:11   #1
iVTR
Established Member

Car(s): Mk2 Silver VTR
iVTR is on a distinguished road
Default How do you clean your car? Drying/Wax/Polish questions

And what products do you use?

Reason I ask is that whilst I always enjoy a good detail, I'm not completely anal about my finishes, having just been browsing 'detailing world' I feel inadequate as a man.

Having got a new car I want to wash it properly, I do this:

1. Rinse car with water
2. 2 bucket method & turtle wax shampoo (Roof first, then windows, etc.)
3. Once car all washed and rinsed in sections I move onto the wheels
4. Alloy cleaner on each and scrub ect...
5. Once car has dried windows I use window cleaner and kitchen roll to get it streak free
6. Polish any bits, exhaust tips ect with muc off speed polish.
7. Tyre dressing
8. Test drive!

I am usually satisfied with this method on my saxo. One thing I clearly overlook is drying, waxing and polishing!

The thing I'm clearly missing is that I don't dry my car after washing it - can someone point me in the right direction of what to use? I've read the guide on here but want to hear from the masses!

Then polish/wax's - this is applied after the car is cleaned and dried - right?

Has anyone got any recommendations of polish/wax. Autoglym 'super resin polish' seems to be highly regarded but unsure how long that will last?

This dodo juice shit - any good? I'm getting slightly confused lol.

Cheers boys!
Old 13th June 2015, 16:56   #2
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

rinse it, wash it, rinse it, wash wheels, rinse. Dry

Can't be arsed with all that 2 bucket method shit anymore tbh.
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 17:42   #3
manta
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): '85 Opel Manta '88 Manta GT/E '87 Rayleigh Roadi
manta is on a distinguished road

1. Leave car outside
2. Roll windows up
3. Check out weather after the news
4. Weather girl bewbs
5. Wait till it rains

jk I get the romanians up the road to do it
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 19:01   #4
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

It's a saxo so get's a jet wash every 2-3 weeks,i have not waxed it in over a year due to the paint on the roof.the roof is covered in scratches from the local cat.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 20:16   #5
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

simonsaunders is on a distinguished road

If the car is filthy, I:

Pressure wash
Snow foam. Currently using some cheap stuff from Halfords. Smells of bubblegum, seems OK
Push the snow foam around the wheels with a paint brush
Pressure wash
2 bucket wash with a lambs wool mitt. Normally use Autoglym shampoo, bought in bulk online.
Hosepipe rinse
Dry with two towels. One towel for moving most of the water, second towel for drying out.

All three of my cars are crying out for a clay and then I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and the Extra Gloss protection sealant. I use proper polish applicators. Although I only do this annually TBH. But normally double polish (plus a bit of cutting on any scuffs) and triple seal.

I always wash my towels and mitt in the washing machine after. No point in pushing grit over lovely clean paint.

I'm a bit of an Autoglym whore, but that all started when I got given a load.

FYI, all their interior stuff is really good too. Especially their Interior Shampoo - suitable for just about any surface and gets sooooo much mucky shit out.
simonsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 09:27   #6
iVTR
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
If the car is filthy, I:

Pressure wash
Snow foam. Currently using some cheap stuff from Halfords. Smells of bubblegum, seems OK
Push the snow foam around the wheels with a paint brush
Pressure wash
2 bucket wash with a lambs wool mitt. Normally use Autoglym shampoo, bought in bulk online.
Hosepipe rinse
Dry with two towels. One towel for moving most of the water, second towel for drying out.

All three of my cars are crying out for a clay and then I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and the Extra Gloss protection sealant. I use proper polish applicators. Although I only do this annually TBH. But normally double polish (plus a bit of cutting on any scuffs) and triple seal.

I always wash my towels and mitt in the washing machine after. No point in pushing grit over lovely clean paint.

I'm a bit of an Autoglym whore, but that all started when I got given a load.

FYI, all their interior stuff is really good too. Especially their Interior Shampoo - suitable for just about any surface and gets sooooo much mucky shit out.
Haha, cheers guys.

Ahh Simon great stuff thanks.

From what I'm gathering then I need some decent 'drying towels' for after the main shampoo wash. Which ones do you use / recommend? And I need an application pad for the polish!

I've been reading up on the Autoglym Super Resin Polish & Extra gloss protection sealant so will be buying them, I already have the AG shampoo.

So... once the cars dry, apply SRP all over (panel by panel, and buff out with microfibre yeah!)

Then how long do I need to wait to apply the Extra Gloss Protection? Or should I just leave the polish on for the first time so I don't seal it incase I've missed a bit lol!

Cheers dude.
Old 14th June 2015, 11:27   #7
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTR View Post
Haha, cheers guys.

Ahh Simon great stuff thanks.

From what I'm gathering then I need some decent 'drying towels' for after the main shampoo wash. Which ones do you use / recommend? And I need an application pad for the polish!

I've been reading up on the Autoglym Super Resin Polish & Extra gloss protection sealant so will be buying them, I already have the AG shampoo.

So... once the cars dry, apply SRP all over (panel by panel, and buff out with microfibre yeah!)

Then how long do I need to wait to apply the Extra Gloss Protection? Or should I just leave the polish on for the first time so I don't seal it incase I've missed a bit lol!

Cheers dude.
I think that both my towels are Merguiars, but I might be wrong. As much as possible I try to spread the towel out and pat it. Just in case there is any grit left; you don't want to drag it over the car. When you're finished the towel should be as clean as when you started, albeit wet; if the towel is getting dirty, you've not cleaned the car properly!

I just follow the instructions on the bottle! I normally do it all on the same day, but after I'm done with the polish I tend to have a little sit down and rest, come back, lift off any little spots of polish I've left and then get on with the sealant.

If you've not tried claying before, give it a go. It lifts off loads of crap that you'd never shift otherwise.
Old 14th June 2015, 12:55   #8
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

Yea you definitely need a good drying towel! stops you getting all the little water marks and helps you find the bits youve missed.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-W...item35d54c3add
Old 14th June 2015, 14:01   #9
iVTR
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
I think that both my towels are Merguiars, but I might be wrong. As much as possible I try to spread the towel out and pat it. Just in case there is any grit left; you don't want to drag it over the car. When you're finished the towel should be as clean as when you started, albeit wet; if the towel is getting dirty, you've not cleaned the car properly!

I just follow the instructions on the bottle! I normally do it all on the same day, but after I'm done with the polish I tend to have a little sit down and rest, come back, lift off any little spots of polish I've left and then get on with the sealant.

If you've not tried claying before, give it a go. It lifts off loads of crap that you'd never shift otherwise.
Thanks mate.

Halfrauds got it all at 3 for 2 at the minute. Unsure whether their own branded microfibre 60x60 towel is worth £14 quid though. Looks like I can get 2 relatively big ones off ebay for £11 so might do that and stock up with more AG goods instead.

Claying I haven't even read into that was mind-boggled enough as it is haha. Is it difficult? I'll check it out.

Cheers L33h will investigate towels on ebay tonight. Man I'm becoming exciting talking about wet towels
Old 14th June 2015, 14:49   #10
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Halfrauds got it all at 3 for 2 at the minute. Unsure whether their own branded microfibre 60x60 towel is worth £14 quid though. Looks like I can get 2 relatively big ones off ebay for £11 so might do that and stock up with more AG goods instead.

Claying I haven't even read into that was mind-boggled enough as it is haha. Is it difficult? I'll check it out.

Cheers L33h will investigate towels on ebay tonight. Man I'm becoming exciting talking about wet towels
Claying is easy - just follow the instructions. You run the clay, normally with a bit of water for lube, over the whole car. That is a bit more of a once a year thing though.
Old 16th June 2015, 18:25   #11
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Asda do something like 3 microfibre towels in a roll for a stupidly cheap price.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 18:28   #12
OMGASAXO
Established Member

Car(s): Posi saxo, flatty, Peugeot bipper, Vauxhall vectra
OMGASAXO is on a distinguished road

if you got costco membership, they do a massive pack of microfiber towels, only £12 inc vat. and a massive tub of turtle wax shampoo for £15, lasts months
OMGASAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 09:26   #13
johnnyg_vts
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): 2002 Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
johnnyg_vts will become famous soon enoughjohnnyg_vts will become famous soon enough

Wait for it to rain. Hey Presto!
johnnyg_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 09:52   #14
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

edit. Wrong thread haha
Old 18th January 2018, 03:57   #15
JamieConway88

JamieConway88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
1. Leave car outside
2. Roll windows up
3. Check out weather after the news
4. Weather girl bewbs
5. Wait till it rains

jk I get the romanians up the road to do it
great idea haha
JamieConway88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 07:40   #16
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

I found using clay makes a huge difference.

Do it after you wash the car, but before you polish it.

I do find it can be fiddly to use if you're using actual clay, however the place I work at uses a clay bar mitt which makes the whole process so much easier and quicker. I'd really recommend one. https://www.amazon.com/AutoCare-Surf.../dp/B01KWOM0HY
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:56   #17
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouji View Post
For Air Filter, I advise everyone to clean it once every 3 months to prevent accumulation of dust that may lead to engine failure.
What would you say is better, a Gallo 12 or a Gallo 24?
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:02   #18
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
What would you say is better, a Gallo 12 or a Gallo 24?
24 because that's twice as good as a 12.

obviously