Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 30th September 2018, 09:00   #1
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road
Default screeching power steering

Hi All,

Sorting out a 2000 (early facelift) vts. Got a noise from steering. Steering works fine but there's like a metallic screeching noise from somewhere I think it sounds like it comes from the rack itself, but could be the pump - hard to pinpoint. Basically when the revs are low, there's this noise. High pitched screech from the steering when under load. Sounds a bit like a screeching bearing.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Craig
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 10:27   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturbo View Post
Hi All,

Sorting out a 2000 (early facelift) vts. Got a noise from steering. Steering works fine but there's like a metallic screeching noise from somewhere I think it sounds like it comes from the rack itself, but could be the pump - hard to pinpoint. Basically when the revs are low, there's this noise. High pitched screech from the steering when under load. Sounds a bit like a screeching bearing.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Craig
The power steering is an electric pump, it's not affected by engine rpm. However there is more load on the steering rack when driving at low speeds. it might be worth changing the PAS fluid for fresh stuff. you'll need an oil syringe to extract the old fluid. it should be bright red, if it isn't its needing changed.
Old 30th September 2018, 14:33   #3
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

That's the weird thing about it. It happens even when the car is sitting not moving. I appreciate it is an electric pump. The fluid is bright red, I'll double check the level.

Unless it's a bad bearing in the alternator or the tensioner? turn the wheel, put more electrical load on etc. I'll maybe pop the aux belt off and see if it goes away.

Or maybe it's an iffy PAS pump. I'll also try disconnecting the power to the pump and see what happens.

But you can't think of anything in the rack itself that could screech?

Lots to do on this car but I think it's worth saving. Looks great (in my eyes anyway..)

Thanks
Craig
Old 30th September 2018, 18:31   #4
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Have you lowered the car mate?Are the wheels catching on anything?
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 18:39   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Can't think of anything that would screech on the rack itself

Good idea to check the alternator and belt though!

The power steering relay is the top most one in the engine bay fuse box. some are green, some are orange depending on spec/year etc. Good idea to pull that when the car is making the noise.

My diesel power steering used to vibrate in such a way that made me think the engine mount had collapsed, but the power steering felt fine - like yours it only happened at idle.
Old 30th September 2018, 19:36   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

I'm thinking the tyres might be scrubbing/catching on something?
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 22:53   #7
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

It has come to me lowered , yes. There is no catching or rubbing. It makes this noise stationery if you load up the steering anyway. Doesn't always do it. I'll try the relay pull to power down the pump and then if not that remove the aux belt.

Kinda wish it wasn't lowered tbh but seems most are!
Old 8th October 2018, 22:47   #8
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

Got to the bottom of this tonight. Bottom pulley. I scored the inner and outer part with a straight edge, ran the engine and made the noise happen (full lock on steering). Did it a few times then stopped the engine. I then had 2 lines about 30 Degrees apart!

New bottom pulley time! Just came to me today that it could be that. Glad it did!