Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 25th August 2013, 09:28   #21
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Audi a3 1.8sport,kawasaki zx9r c2,Yamaha R1 track
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
wullvfr is on a distinguished road

When I took up boxing I got shin splints bad,very bad from skipping and running.i kept at it though and they finally went and when they go they should never come back.

I was the same,jogging was difficult and at times even walking was difficult when at work the next day.i went to the phsyio and the guy was a brute with me,was gonna twat him.

Anyway you can do stretching,ice packs on them,buy proper fitted trainers,run on soft ground etc but I did none of these and it went in time.
wullvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 11:55   #22
knight-22
Established Member

Car(s): mk2 vts, e36
knight-22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullvfr View Post
the guy was a brute with me,was gonna twat him.
Hahahaha
knight-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 13:03   #23
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

haha yea cheers. I finally got myself some running trainers and they seem to have done the trick. Was a bit sore when i first used them but they're slowly going away. Happy days
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 17:27   #24
WestyVTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo VTR, Clio 1.2 turbo, prious, Kawasaki 363 nin
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
WestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of light

Shin splint ca also be caused by not warming up before running. Make sure your warmed up and prepared for the run

WestyVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 20:24   #25
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxoVTR2008 View Post
When I was in basic I had bad shin splints, PTI told me to run through it and they will get used to it.. It actually worked! I had no more shin pain after running everyday for 4/6 weeks..

But then....

I got compartment syndrome in my calves
I did the same when I was serving an ended up with compartment syndrome in my shins and both sides of my claves requiring 3 ops, I'd never say to anyone to run through it ever.
Best thing to do is look at your footwear and how you run ie heal toe, just toes, flat, then look at your gait ie do your feet collapse in (overpronate), center or on the outer edge (underpronate).

I had to do all this with in the last 6 months as I found even just doing circuit work set my shins off after my ops, realised that when I move quicker/bounce/run i underpronate and tended to heal strike. Bought the correct footwear and focused on trying to land toes first so the body naturally acts as a cushion/spring has really helped and now with a good warm up and stretching before/after I can happily say I don't get any problems even after 8+ miles
Best way I found to run on your toes was to run with your body leaning slightly forward, so nice to be able to run again pain free after 4 years on the sick
Old 21st October 2013, 12:03   #26
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 520bhp Honda Jazz
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!

I used to get them like a motherfucker! Get about half a mile, and here they come! I just bought some decent running trainers, and just battled through it.. After about 2 months, of running 3 miles 4 times a week, it slowly stopped happening! They were a killer, but you just have to carry on.. A gym trainer told me if you go on a treadmill, and go on a slight incline, that it helps a lot..

You also have to give your legs some rest time, if you don't let them rest and recover, you cause damage

Life's a bitch, then you die.
smiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 17:22   #27
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiith View Post
I used to get them like a motherfucker! Get about half a mile, and here they come! I just bought some decent running trainers, and just battled through it.. After about 2 months, of running 3 miles 4 times a week, it slowly stopped happening! They were a killer, but you just have to carry on.. A gym trainer told me if you go on a treadmill, and go on a slight incline, that it helps a lot..

You also have to give your legs some rest time, if you don't let them rest and recover, you cause damage
I tried a slight incline n it made it worse for me lol. The trainers do really help tho lol

Thanks everyone else that commented lol
Old 28th November 2013, 22:44   #28
JacobLongman993
Regular Poster

Car(s): 2002 VTS
JacobLongman993 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I think the best thing is just rest! When I got them it would start after about 3 miles or so and get worst the more I ran. I asked a few people what would help and they said just rest. After just over a month it was fine! If Your worried about loosing fitness just spent the month doing cardio that involves no impact (for example cycling, swimming, punch bag etc.) and it shouldn't be to bad when you return to running.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452721
JacobLongman993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 09:39   #29
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33h View Post
I tried a slight incline n it made it worse for me lol. The trainers do really help tho lol

Thanks everyone else that commented lol
Have they went yet dude?
Old 29th November 2013, 10:27   #30
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullvfr View Post
Have they went yet dude?
Does that actually make sense to you?
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 18:04   #31
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Aye I can understand what he said lol.

Aye mate they seem to have went now. Just ended up resting em for a while and buying some new trainers. Happy days. Haven't been running alot lately as I'm bulking a bit over the winter
Old 30th November 2013, 11:13   #32
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
Does that actually make sense to you?
Of course it does,very simple and easy to understand.