Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 24th January 2011, 22:31   #1
pjw
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Cammed Ph2 VTS
iTrader Score: 0 (50%)
pjw is on a distinguished road
Default 'cammed' vts advice please

Im about to go and spend my hard earned money on a supposedly cammed VTS. now im pretty swept up on mechanics, but is there any external engine mods that might point to a cammed 16v? mods, markings, pulleys etc? i presume to run properly the cam would have to be setup with verniers to time it correctly?

The seller has mentioned that at times the idle can be lumpy, due to this. Im pretty sure that if someone could be arsed putting a cam in, they would have set it up properly, so im taking that with a pinch of salt and feel it could be a duff ICV or vacuum leak.

Could it be that its just not been setup?

Any of the above ring true, rought idle associated with being cammed?
Old 24th January 2011, 22:32   #2
gaz4399
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1275 mini
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
gaz4399 is on a distinguished road

cammed cars will tend to not idle as good if not mapped

sounds like it could be cammed but needs mapping to get the most out of the cam and better running etc, could be a good reason to barter with the guy selling the car tbh as it needs mapping ideally.
gaz4399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 22:33   #3
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

Could always ask to pop the cam cover off to see if the cams have any manufacture info.
Old 24th January 2011, 22:36   #4
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

just be careful, if there's no receipts for cams then it could just be a dodgy sensor?

IMO if spending £1k+ on a car with mods, i'd at least want to make sure the mods are there (if that's why you're looking at this car over standard ones)
Old 24th January 2011, 22:39   #5
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo vtr mk 2
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Olly is on a distinguished road

cams shouldnt run rough on idle really. as above cam covers off and have a look. will need some small torx screwdrivers. if there sealed down/doesnt want you to take the covers off, buy it as a standard engined car..many a car sold as 'cammed' but not actually anything of the sort. ask the question where it was mapped/setup, place names and location, then ask to see receipts too, see if it tally's
Old 24th January 2011, 22:39   #6
benkelsall
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
benkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of light

Is it a single or 3 plug ecu?
as 3 plugs never run fine once cammed. I had a cammed vts 3 plug and it idled crap had to keep the revs on.
imo id never get a cammed 16v again, much prefer a normal 16v with filter exhaust ect.
only worth going cams if your going to get a standalone ecu and get it mapped proper.
benkelsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 08:21   #7
pjw
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Cammed Ph2 VTS
iTrader Score: 0 (50%)
pjw is on a distinguished road

I spoke to the seller, and he thought just throwing a cam in would be it. Its not been mapped or anythng.

I honestly am tempted to get it, reinstall standard cams and sell these on. Kents he says, although he hasnt got receipts he did show me an ebay seller he reckons he got them from.

Ive already started barting with the lad, im going to be buying it as standard as the covers are sealed down funnily enough. Laziness if you ask me.

When i get it home, ill whip the covers off and see if theres any numbers scribed into them. If it just turns out to be a sensor its still no real loss for a £20 sensor somewhere.

Do these have an idle control valve?
Old 25th January 2011, 10:48   #8
Byard
Regular Poster

Car(s): BMW 330d, Arctic Steel Silver TU5JP4, 1.8 Focus
Byard is on a distinguished road

Yes to the ICV.
Byard is offline   Reply With Quote