Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 12th July 2011, 20:15   #21
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
People paying £1000 + on a mac to 'surf saxp' or 'use facebook' are idiots.
Mine cost over 1700 Lolz..

Having said that I use it for work, and watching the haye fight effectively on tv haha
Old 12th July 2011, 20:16   #22
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
Picked up a second hand iMac a few weeks ago. So far I have found that Windows 7 actually runs smoother on it haha.

Technically Macs are no better than a PC of the same spec but the OS is a lot different which can give the impression of better performance. If people bothered to protect a Windows PC properly it would perform just as well as a Mac running OSX.

I have tried gaming on mine and wasn't impressed tbh, games run smoother on Windows and the amount of games is very limited and games that are released are not cheap. Steam were doing CoD 4 for PC for £10, in the Mac App Store its £30. Im not going to waste £20 when I can run Windows on a Mac.

What do you mean by 'if people bothered to protect a PC properly'?

Not being a nob just genuinely wondering what you mean.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 20:20   #23
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Mine cost over 1700 Lolz..

Having said that I use it for work, and watching the haye fight effectively on tv haha
£1700 for a computer? Barmpot

I was veryyyyy close to buying an iMac for £899 with a fantastic spec, but then I woke up...literally.

I love my HP, although the sound is god-awful and the battery is dismal...10x worse than this iPhone 4!
Old 12th July 2011, 20:22   #24
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

well... I've just took the plunge and bought a pc. £470 it cost me and I can bet my sweet arse cheeks it'll dick on a mac £1k+ for just about anything.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 20:25   #25
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
well... I've just took the plunge and bought a pc. £470 it cost me and I can bet my sweet arse cheeks it'll dick on a mac £1k+ for just about anything.
Whats the spec? Lap or desk?
Old 12th July 2011, 20:25   #26
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
What do you mean by 'if people bothered to protect a PC properly'?

Not being a nob just genuinely wondering what you mean.
Mac OS makes you enter a password if you make any system changes. So if you change the screen saver, it'll ask for a password, you want to put two men shagging each other on your mates background - it asks for a password
Basically as it does that any cheeky software that attempts to fudge around the system finds its difficult to circumvent the password requirement, making it a bit more robust. Having said that windows 7 has the same feature but I disabled that
Old 12th July 2011, 20:27   #27
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
£1700 for a computer? Barmpot

I was veryyyyy close to buying an iMac for £899 with a fantastic spec, but then I woke up...literally.

I love my HP, although the sound is god-awful and the battery is dismal...10x worse than this iPhone 4!
It will be written off against my tax bill anyway. As I said it will hold it's value better than a pc when I go to sell it and is perfect for my needs.

I didn't have any pc perififals left or wanted to build my own system so it was the right way to go. Buying a 27 inch momitor of decent standard for a pc won't be cheap, then the rest of the stuff etc...
Old 12th July 2011, 20:27   #28
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Whats the spec? Lap or desk?
Desk
Core i5 2500K - OC'd to 4.5GHz.
8Gb 1666MHz DDR3
erm... I've got the spec written down somewhere.
floppy drive and a serial port or something.
EDIT: X-FI Platinum, ASUS P8P67 mobo, Seagate 1Tb 7200 rpm 32mb cache SATA III, Radeon 6470 (can't remember the graphics)... think that's it

Last edited by Barry123; 12th July 2011 at 20:35.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:36   #29
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Desk
Core i5 2500K - OC'd to 4.5GHz.
8Gb 1666MHz DDR3
erm... I've got the spec written down somewhere.
floppy drive and a serial port or something.
EDIT: X-FI Platinum, ASUS P8P67 mobo, Seagate 1Tb 7200 rpm 32mb cache SATA III, Radeon 6470 (can't remember the graphics)... think that's it
Lol @ floppy drive with that spec, tbh if i was building a pc now i would have put a solid state drive in then a 1TB sata as a backup or something.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:39   #30
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker556 View Post
Lol @ floppy drive with that spec, tbh if i was building a pc now i would have put a solid state drive in then a 1TB sata as a backup or something.
I was just messing about the floppy drive and serial port dude! I was looking at an SSD but with such a tight budget I couldn't squeeze a decent one in. 120Gb should do it for my programs and OS so I will hopefully get one before the year is out
Old 14th July 2011, 13:23   #31
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I was just messing about the floppy drive and serial port dude! I was looking at an SSD but with such a tight budget I couldn't squeeze a decent one in. 120Gb should do it for my programs and OS so I will hopefully get one before the year is out
Yep thought so,

I was looking at doing the same 120GB for just os and programs think it should be enough there gradually coming down in price, this is the only thing that lets my pc down at the moment.
Old 15th July 2011, 00:50   #32
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

yar! I'll wait till the decent 120gb ones are sub £100 - as you say would polish off the system nicely
Old 15th July 2011, 01:38   #33
mlawlan69
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): MCS R53 S/C 16v furiooo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
mlawlan69 is on a distinguished road

im still using an athlon 64x2 with 4gb of ddr2 @ 800mhz and up until recently an 8800gtoc2 card in it. (now 450gts lols)

had this pc 4 years now and i still haven't a need for anything faster.

BFBC2 at 1920x1080 all high etc 35+fps

i have never personally seen the attraction to imacs, over priced hardware, guess the software is where its at, but then again the only reason it's "safer" is because hackers dont need to target 5-10% of the world pc market, so they go after windows based systems, that's why people are under the impression imacs are safer!!
mlawlan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 06:49   #34
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

You sound like a typical PC gamer, speaking in screen size and frame rates.

Quote:
that's why people are under the impression imacs are safer!!
Compared to windows, I don't have the impression that it is faster, and stable. it is faster, and it is stable, period. As one of my mates would say "after 14 years+ of using macs I have yet to have a problem". Then if you have a problem, the apple customer service handles it like nothing I have seen elsewhere in terms of customer service.

Quote:
then again the only reason it's "safer" is because hackers dont need to target 5-10% of the world pc market, so they go after windows based systems
Macs are not part of the PC market since they are macs, and it's more than 5-10%. Then you forgot about linux/unix machines. Then you are taking a wild guess about what motivates hackers and what machines they choose to hack.

Last edited by Manu; 15th July 2011 at 06:52.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 10:03   #35
lemon191
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Fiesta zetec mk7.5
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
lemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of lightlemon191 is a glorious beacon of light

ive been using windows for years and the only problems ive ever had is the odd virus or 2 which if it was reversed and macs were the more widely used system it would be just the same.
as for stabily and reliabilty is concerned windows is expected to work with such a wide variety of system setups that its inevitable(sp?) its going to have more glitchs etc when compared to the likes of a apple product as they are well known for heavily restricting what can be used with there systems (as standard without hacking it)

as for hackers they will go for which ever system is the most common as it will mean more chances of getting what they want.
the ultimate problem with macs is the price, as stated many times for the same money you could buy 2 better spec machines for the cost of one mac
i dont dislike macs they are very good at what they do but unless you do alot of media work there is just no real benefit over a windows machine yes the mac is slightly easier to use but unless your a retard windows 7 isnt exactly hard to use either! and i knwo you can run windows on a mac system if you liek to play games etc but who really wants to pay the high price of a mac and then pay out for a another operating system?

Last edited by lemon191; 15th July 2011 at 10:05.
lemon191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:07   #36
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

If people think apple products cant be hacked they are delusional.
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:37   #37
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
You sound like a typical PC gamer, speaking in screen size and frame rates.
Manu, I'm confused by this statement dude... how else would you rate the performance of a machine using a game?

Quote:
Compared to windows, I don't have the impression that it is faster, and stable. it is faster, and it is stable, period. As one of my mates would say "after 14 years+ of using macs I have yet to have a problem". Then if you have a problem, the apple customer service handles it like nothing I have seen elsewhere in terms of customer service.
That's weird because I'd say they're on a par with each other in terms of stability and speed (although I've actually had more issues with macs than I have my windows 7 pc's, genuinely not a single crash on any of my W7 machines), the mac OS is slight more efficient/faster but day to day you wouldn't actually notice to any great extent unless you get out the stopwatch.

The mac OS pisses me off though, can't get my head round it and Apple's policy of making everything glittery. That said, making their products glittery has served them well, and turns attention away from the problems.

At least you can bootcamp the macs, except if you bootcamp it and run it purely as a windows based machine you've got an expensive windows based machine....

I've yet to hear any anyone give me conclusive reasons why anyone would buy a mac over an ibm system... it's either 'it's better for photoshop', 'faster' is subjective well making a photo load a microsecond faster doesn't cut it for the price. 'It's more stable', it's not, it's no more stable than a W7 machine.

ahhh glad I got that off my chest
Old 15th July 2011, 18:49   #38
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

I do sound production. I have yet to see a PC running Logic and Protools, or any other production software as fast and as smooth, without crashing. To make it short, list of problems I had on Pc and mac:

PC: lost count
Mac: none

Then on mac I don't need constant software updates, patches and bug fixings.

Quote:
I've yet to hear any anyone give me conclusive reasons why anyone would buy a mac over an ibm system... it's either 'it's better for photoshop', 'faster' is subjective well making a photo load a microsecond faster doesn't cut it for the price.
depends on what level. I know a lad who has a photo editing company. He uses macs, as it's faster, and stable. Faster as in, and this is one example out of plenty the average consumer on his W7 laptop does not have to render a 50 gB NASA picture or a fully detailed panoramic of London. You're right about the ibm hardware part, but then if you run windows on it...
Quote:
'It's more stable', it's not, it's no more stable than a W7 machine.
I doubt that. W7 is incapable of running the latest Sony soundforge for example. I heard from a few that their hardware drivers no longer work on windows 7, sound cards, video cards, etc..

Most people I know gave up on windows based machines. Some sticked to XP, since vista is utter shite, some went to apple, some Linux. At the end of the day, the average person on here browses SaxP, the sun and then check your email. Every person I know of in sound production, video production and photo production has at least one desktop mac and one macbookpro or more. They all have the same thing to say about it:"it works".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbastard View Post
If people think apple products cant be hacked they are delusional.
That's an easy statement to make. Any hardware of software can be hacked.

Last edited by Manu; 15th July 2011 at 18:54.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 15:44   #39
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

I can build a £300 PC with better performance than a £1000 mac.

Also I'm not computer illiterate and in need of Steve Jobs telling me what I can and can't do at every turn. User friendliness is the only advantage iOS has going for it, anyone who is serious about their computers has a PC.

Also - you can't compare 7 to Vista, it's in a different league, Manu link me this software and what you're doing with it so I can replicate it on my PC and see how it fares.

Last edited by Bound; 16th July 2011 at 15:47.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 00:16   #40
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
Also - you can't compare 7 to Vista, it's in a different league, Manu link me this software and what you're doing with it so I can replicate it on my PC and see how it fares.
I wouldn't bother...

Quote:
I do sound production. I have yet to see a PC running Logic and Protools, or any other production software as fast and as smooth, without crashing
Logic is made by Apple and has no support for windows... hence why he has yet to see a pc running it. Which means he's written off Windows 7 without actually using it for anything beyond sound production. Which means he's not really putting forward a fact based and useful argument. On the other hand I have both and Mac is on the whole inferior since the cost far out weighs the small performance advantage in certain niche applications (like music production).