Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 10th March 2010, 23:52   #701
robtwotone
Frequent Poster

Car(s): mauritius blue saxo vts two tone vtr classic mi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
robtwotone is on a distinguished road

iv got a 70k 01 vtr full exhaulst and filter i curently use mobile1 10w40 semi i change it every 5-6k car gets used every day and gets a regular thrash would a 5w40 b better?
robtwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:20   #702
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Yes, the 5w-40 would be better as it will give better cold start protection and 5w-40s are generally better quality oils than 10w-40s.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 25th March 2010, 20:22   #703
saxovtsmad
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): now own a possi blue mk2 vts mk1 went to heaven
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
saxovtsmad will become famous soon enough

ive got a v reg vts with a 4-1 mani std cat then a magnex cat back its done 50,000 i use it daily for work and do roughly 130 miles a week what oil would you recomend and how much would i need to do a full oil change
cheers mick
Old 26th March 2010, 09:00   #704
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi Mick

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs XTR or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:03   #705
johnr32
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
johnr32 is on a distinguished road

which grade oil should i use for my VTS box? I sometimes give it the odd booting. I need the best available protection and performance for my gearbox at an affordable price (if that makes sense?)

Last edited by johnr32; 3rd April 2010 at 23:06.
johnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 16:35   #706
oilman
Established Member

You cannot go wrong with this one http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx

Cheers

Guy
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:52   #707
SaxoSam96
Frequent Poster
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): R32
SaxoSam96 is on a distinguished road

OilMan, On your website under car servicing packs, it only sells packs for a VTS, is it okay to use one on a vtr?
Sax-P
SaxoSam96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:06   #708
oilman
Established Member

If it's a 2000 or earlier car then yes, it's fine. For 2000 onwards add a note to the order to ask us to swap the filter for a 25.032.00 (paper cartridge type one rather than a metal canister)
Old 5th May 2010, 19:29   #709
S666UKH
Frequent Poster
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Saxo Mk2 VTR, PUG 308
S666UKH is on a distinguished road

I have a mk2 2001 vtr 50,000 i only drive it on the weekends very hard......what would you recommend for a engine oil and gear box oil.

Great thread!

Last edited by S666UKH; 5th May 2010 at 19:35.
S666UKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 20:26   #710
oilman
Established Member

Go for a good 5w-40 for the engine and a MTF for the gearbox.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx
Cheers

Tim
Old 5th May 2010, 20:31   #711
Krys_23
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 10 (81%)
Krys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team member

Need some serious help from you, My 106 was put to a garage local for check on poor running, And i made a thread on here complaining as i had bought 5w40 silkolene S and the guy on the phone ( Guy working on car/owner of garage ) Really wouldn't take no for an answer when i said i didn't want his oil i had my own he replied that he needed to put it in now and he went ahead and put Trident 15/40 engine oil, 2k miles later and my engine has PACKED IN! Completely fucked internals screwed, Where do i stand? I'm pretty sure its the wrong oil for my car, Plus the engine was cammed so i'm pretty sure 15/40 is the wrong grade ?
Old 5th May 2010, 20:46   #712
oilman
Established Member

That's not a good situation at all, really crap service and typical cheap, basic garage oil that they probably over charge for. Actually trident isn't the worst around, but I consider it an oil for older stuff, driven by grandparents, rather than something you want to look after and have a fun drive in. If you've been thrashing/tracking the car since the service, then in 2k the oil could have lost a lot of it's properties as it's only a basic mineral oil. I would hope that it would last more than 2k though. I don't know where you would stand with trading standards, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to get the oil tested to prove that there was oil failure.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:50   #713
Krys_23
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 10 (81%)
Krys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team member

Maybe it was 3k, And to be fair the car was driven fairly hard but not hammered from cold or anything like that, I will phone them up shortly and say i'm not happy about it ( Obviously ) But the fact i had told him on the phone i wanted to use my oil and he tried saying that it was basically crap ( Silkolene Pro S ) Which was the part that annoyed me, I have the choice to decide which oil i use in my car but he forced his oil on me and now my cars fucked? Doesnt sound fair.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:43   #714
DJDannyB
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

DJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really nice

Make: Citroen
Model: Saxo
Year: 2002
Engine size/type: 1.4i

Any mods:
Full exhaust system
4-2-1 manifold (no cat)

Type of use (road/track)
Road.

Engine.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:01   #715
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys_23 View Post
Maybe it was 3k, And to be fair the car was driven fairly hard but not hammered from cold or anything like that, I will phone them up shortly and say i'm not happy about it ( Obviously ) But the fact i had told him on the phone i wanted to use my oil and he tried saying that it was basically crap ( Silkolene Pro S ) Which was the part that annoyed me, I have the choice to decide which oil i use in my car but he forced his oil on me and now my cars fucked? Doesnt sound fair.
It's absolutely awful service from someone who has no idea what he is doing (I can't see how someone could think that the £1 a litre service stuff they sell is better than top end £10 a litre race oil, unless they are just out to rip you off). All I can suggest is the oil testing, then off to trading standards like I mentioned before or once you have the oil test results and it shows that the oil has failed, contact the garage and tell them that the oil has failed and that was his fault and he can get it fixed or you'll be going via the small claims court/trading standards.

Was it an actual Peugeot garage? I used to have a 106 and I got the worst service I have ever had from them, I'll never get a Peugeot again after that.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:01   #716
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDannyB View Post
Make: Citroen
Model: Saxo
Year: 2002
Engine size/type: 1.4i

Any mods:
Full exhaust system
4-2-1 manifold (no cat)

Type of use (road/track)
Road.

Engine.
I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:19   #717
S666UKH
Frequent Poster
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Saxo Mk2 VTR, PUG 308
S666UKH is on a distinguished road

Thanks oilman! : )
S666UKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 22:54   #718
kritzvtr

kritzvtr is on a distinguished road

hi i got a saxo vtr t reg 99 and i have fitted a turbo on but the oil is not reaching to the turbo. i took the oil feed pipe from the oil idle sensor that is where my mechanic told me to take it from but still the oil is not getting to the turbo. any suggestions. thanks
kritzvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 23:39   #719
DJDannyB
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

DJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really niceDJDannyB is just really nice

Thanks mate, ill order some from your site within the next week or so
Old 7th May 2010, 12:32   #720
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritzvtr View Post
hi i got a saxo vtr t reg 99 and i have fitted a turbo on but the oil is not reaching to the turbo. i took the oil feed pipe from the oil idle sensor that is where my mechanic told me to take it from but still the oil is not getting to the turbo. any suggestions. thanks
The only things I can think of right now is that the oil is too thick (no idea what you are using) or the oil plumbing is wrong.