Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 20th July 2009, 21:52   #1
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Merc E320 sport estate (the kids made me do it)
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
reevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to behold
Default A Guide To Vehicle Security

Hi all i am not great at this but let give it a try.

Cat 2

Cat 2 is just 2 an immobiliser (no alarm) that can be disarmed with a touch key, transponder chip or a pin code. Any uk vehicle that was made 2006-> was made with a cat 2 as standered.

Basic Alarm (piece of mind)

A basic alarm system is great for you if you dont want to or have the kind of money that a 2-1 or a cat 1 alarm system costs. Basic alarms can just be triggered by voltage drop or just by ultrsonics sensors, so make shore that if you are going for a basic alarm that you ask for it to be connected to the bonnet, boot and doors. The basic alarms doesn't have to be fitted to any standards unlike an insurance approved system does.

Cat 2-1 Upgrade Alarm

A Cat 2-1 upgrade alarm system does what it says on the tin. It is an alarm system that covers Bonnet, boot, doors and the interia of the vehicle via ultra sonics or a microwave sensor. It also has to have a battery back up siren so if the cable to the siren is cut it will carrie on sounding. This is what you need on you car if you are after a full cat 1 alarm system but dont want to spend out the price of a cat 1.

Cat 1

A cat 1 alarm system must cover bonnet, boot, doors, interia of the vehicle, have a battery back up siren and have a 2 point or more immobiliser. These alarms are fitted mostly to vehilce that dont have an immobiliser or an imported vehilce that the uk insurance companys dont recognise the factory fitted immobilisers that are fitted.

Tracking Systems Basic and Cat 5

Tracking systems work in 2 ways 1 uses GPS and others use VHF (very high frequency) both are reported to the police when a vehicle is stolen and the police are guided to the vehicle either with the help of a call centre or by an onboard computer. Trackers are usually fitted to vehicles that have quite a hi value or a vehicle that the customer really does not want to lose if stolen. Some time you wont be insured unless you have a tracking system fitted to the Vehicle. Most tracking systems are insurance approved but on vehicles over £30,000 some insurance company will ask for a cat 5 system to be fitted.

Brands To Go For

There are lots of companys that have some very good security products that start from piece of mind and go all the way upto cat 5 tracking systems.
Cobra, Sigma, Toad, Clifford, Gemini, Viper, Hornet, Meta, Scorpion and Laserline (i may have missed a few) are all very good alarm system that i have used and i have fitted.

Brands To Stay Away From

There are lots of cheap alarms systems on ebay that offer you the world and more but are more trouble than they are worth. I have fitted a few customers own cheap ebay alarms and i have no end of problems with them like Not working at all, false alarming, not letting the vehicle start, killing the vehicle when being driven and some of the cheap remote start alarms even start the vehicle for no reason. They may look cheap and look like they do so much more than other alarms but they wont stand the test of time. 2 brand that i have fitted and had lots of problems with is Falcon and Sniper. These brands a distributed by companys that are here 1 minute and gone the next so you dont have any product back up or warranty.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or i am sure that Mr Toad (ian) would be more than happy to help .

Last edited by reevesy_vtr; 15th July 2010 at 23:21.
reevesy_vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reevesy_vtr For This Useful Post:
Old 20th July 2009, 22:17   #2
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

pretty cool guide dude, only skim read it

but im confident you know more than enough regarding it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 22:23   #3
liam_b
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): saxo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
liam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to beholdliam_b is a splendid one to behold

good guide mate
liam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 22:34   #4
Paulp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

Good stuff mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 09:36   #5
MR_TOAD
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Helping the Saxo Owners in Security around the UK
MR_TOAD is a jewel in the roughMR_TOAD is a jewel in the roughMR_TOAD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesy_vtr View Post
Hi all i am not great at this but let give it a try.

Cat 2

Cat 2 is just 2 an immobiliser (no alarm) that can be disarmed with a touch key, transponder chip or a pin code. Any uk vehicle that was made 2006-> was made with a cat 2 as standered.

Basic Alarm (piece of mind)

A basic alarm system is great for you if you dont want to or have the kind of money that a 2-1 or a cat 1 alarm system costs. Basic alarms can just be triggered by voltage drop or just by ultrsonics sensors, so make shore that if you are going for a basic alarm that you ask for it to be connected to the bonnet, boot and doors. The basic alarms doesn't have to be fitted to any standards unlike an insurance approved system does.

Cat 2-1 Upgrade Alarm

A Cat 2-1 upgrade alarm system does what it says on the tin. It is an alarm system that covers Bonnet, boot, doors and the interia of the vehicle via ultra sonics or a microwave sensor. It also has to have a battery back up siren so if the cable to the siren is cut it will carrie on sounding. This is what you need on you car if you are after a full cat 1 alarm system but dont want to spend out the price of a cat 1.

Cat 1

A cat 1 alarm system must cover bonnet, boot, doors, interia of the vehicle, have a battery back up siren and have a 2 point or more immobiliser. These alarms are fitted mostly to vehilce that dont have an immobiliser or an imported vehilce that the uk insurance companys dont recognise the factory fitted immobilisers that are fitted.

Tracking Systems Baisc and Cat 5

Tracking systems work in 2 ways 1 uses GPS and others use VHF (very high frequency) both are reported to the police when a vehicle is stolen and the police are guided to the vehicle either with the help of a call centre or by an onboard computer. Trackers are usually fitted to vehicles that have quite a hi value or a vehicle that the customer really does not want to lose if stolen. Some time you wont be insured unless you have a tracking system fitted to the Vehicle. Most tracking systems are insurance approved but on vehicles over £30,000 some insurance company will ask for a cat 5 system to be fitted.

Brands To Go For

There are lots of companys that have some very good security products that start from piece of mind and go all the way upto cat 5 tracking systems.
Cobra, Sigma, Toad, Clifford, Gemini, Viper, Hornet, Meta, Scorpion and Laserline (i may have missed a few) are all very good alarm system that i have used and i have fitted.

Brands To Stay Away From

There are lots of cheap alarms systems on ebay that offer you the world and more but are more trouble than they are worth. I have fitted a few customers own cheap ebay alarms and i have no end of problems with them like Not working at all, false alarming, not letting the vehicle start, killing the vehicle when being driven and some of the cheap remote start alarms even start the vehicle for no reason. They may look cheap and look like they do so much more than other alarms but they wont stand the test of time. 2 brand that i have fitted and had lots of problems with is Falcon and Sniper. These brands a distributed by companys that are here 1 minute and gone the next so you dont have any product back up or warranty.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or i am sure that Mr Toad (ian) would be more than happy to help .

I will back that nice one mate
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:03   #6
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

reevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:08   #7
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

ill sticky it

cheers

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:37   #8
Craig_B
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): RenaultSport Clio 197 + Ph1 172
Craig_B is on a distinguished road

good guide.

have a Laserline alarm on mine. glad you put them in haha
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:26   #9
Renniecoleman
Infrequent Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): 52 Plate black vtr
Renniecoleman is on a distinguished road

good guide bud
Renniecoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 20:37   #10
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_VTR View Post
ill sticky it

cheers
If you could that would be Tony the frosties tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_Baker View Post
good guide.

have a Laserline alarm on mine. glad you put them in haha
I got a Laserline on my first car (nova) and it was a very good alarm
Old 25th July 2009, 10:27   #11
Craig_B
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): RenaultSport Clio 197 + Ph1 172
Craig_B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesy_vtr View Post
I got a Laserline on my first car (nova) and it was a very good alarm
ye its ok lol.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:04   #12
Jiish
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): VSX ^^
Jiish is on a distinguished road

what do you think is the most cost effcient to go for? and easy to install?
Jiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 09:54   #13
MR_TOAD
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Helping the Saxo Owners in Security around the UK
MR_TOAD is a jewel in the roughMR_TOAD is a jewel in the roughMR_TOAD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiish View Post
what do you think is the most cost effcient to go for? and easy to install?
That depends on your ability to install an alarm

Ian
Old 27th July 2009, 11:23   #14
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

All the basic alarms are 9 times out of 10 the same to install the only difference is the colour of the wires. The same goes for cost there is really not much in it when it comes to the basic alarms, but cliffords or a little more than other alarms at the moment.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:25   #15
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

whats the cheapest Cat 1 your doing at the minute Reevesy?

going to need one soon
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:34   #16
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

What is it going onto mate
Old 27th July 2009, 11:36   #17
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

will be on a VTS
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 12:50   #18
Davyy
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Clio 172 Flamer
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Davyy is on a distinguished road

Are they difficult to install? And would i get a decent one for around £100?
Davyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 22:38   #19
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Alarms are not difficult if you know what you are doing, if you have not fitted an alarm befor and dont know what to do then its best to let a pro do it as if you get it wrong it could cost a lot to get it sorted. as for £100 is that just supplyed or supplyed and fitted?