Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 6th February 2016, 16:22   #1
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road
Default noise when braking

Ok so had new brake pads and disc added and now still have the sounds.

When I am coming to a slow stop and applying brake I get a odd creaking sound like a door creek on it coming to a stop on passengers front or back wheel when I take foot off brake it goes away.. When am doing this in reverse it does not happen at all no noise when turning.

What could the cause to this be as I just had new brake pads and disc and this noise was their before replacing them and was never their a few months back only just developed weird noise when applying brakes.
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 16:32   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Try some copper grease, worst case scenario I can think of would be loose pads.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 19:26   #3
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Has got loads on em already it is noly happening when applied brake on slow stop is driving me bonkers trying think what it is and now with anothe problem cant remove fucking locking nut lmfao tis my luck to getting em off again
Old 8th February 2016, 12:19   #4
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

WD40 the shit out of the nut and try again I guess.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 16:39   #5
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

you dont want copper grease on brakes EVER. Fit pads dry or with a light lubrication of a compound such as ceratec which is design for brakes. Lube sliders with red rubber grease
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandi699 For This Useful Post:
Old 9th February 2016, 00:27   #6
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

pads are dry it was used for the back of the disc that was greased up.

Got the locking nuts removed had to have someone come out and remove them not impressed, Now to find out where this creeking is coming from think it is back. Next weekend will be to take rear disc off and apply new with brake pads.
Old 9th February 2016, 09:23   #7
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

I've only ever fitted pads dry once. Took them back out the next week and put copper grease on the backs and any points where the pad backing touches the caliper.
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 09:24   #8
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

yeah Id get the grease the disc on off the hub/wheel interface after all its clamping force that holds the wheels on rather than the bolts in shear
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 01:27   #9
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Still cant figure out where noise coming off nothing seems touching or bad on back about 25 to 30% left on pads on back yet when coming to a slow stop still makes noise like a creaking door when applying brake. is on passengers side and still can not tell if back or front. Anyone had this problem before or know what the cause is?
Old 14th February 2016, 09:17   #10
Clivvy

Car(s): Saxo 1.1 Desire Fiat Stilo JTd sporting Nissan T
Clivvy is on a distinguished road

I'm probably way off, might even have missed something in previous comments but have you checked the caliper piston? Seems to me that could be the cause of the creaking as you are applying the brake, the piston is pushed out and the creaking begins, release the brake the piston returns much easier=no creaking...
Clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 19:51   #11
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivvy View Post
I'm probably way off, might even have missed something in previous comments but have you checked the caliper piston? Seems to me that could be the cause of the creaking as you are applying the brake, the piston is pushed out and the creaking begins, release the brake the piston returns much easier=no creaking...
I have not actually thought about that. Going to have a look over the weekend to see if I can some how find out what it is maybe get down to scrappers n get a few calipers and try em out see if doing.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 21st February 2016, 00:49   #12
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

So I am at a confused status here as to what the case is now. Took back brakes off cleaned up wd 40 shit out of everything that needed to be done cleaned up calipers, piston, disc checked brake feeds and everything else yet still making the noise. So no idea what the cause of this is unless bearing on way but it only happens when applying brake and stops when taking foot off so got no idea now.
Old 21st February 2016, 11:39   #13
Clivvy

odd.

try driving a short distance with the handbrake on a couple of notches - this is just enough to apply the rear brakes. You can then get a better idea if its rear brakes or not - your front brakes are used the most so you would think the noise is coming from there, but also don't forget to check the brake fluid reservoir and associated pipes.

Maybe also check the brake cylinders, maybe they are to blame?
Old 21st February 2016, 18:30   #14
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Thanks for more advise will see what I can do. Seems to not affect driving but I want the sound cured because it wasn't their before and when I hear sounds I do not see their I get concerned that something is at fault, and often not is.
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:19   #15
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Are you sure its actually the brakes that are creaking and not part of the suspension that is possibly worn? braking would put extra strain on suspension parts too so would give all the bushes etc a check over aswell
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:57   #16
Clivvy

that's a fair point Ben - my Saxo creaks and apparently that's a common issue with the rear suspension or something? When driving its fine though, only when I come to a stop and the handbrake is applied so the rear end lifts then it creaks but of course braking could cause the same issue..
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:51   #17
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Suspension is fine had changed 2 months ago and was still doing it after that was changed. when I apply pressure on to the brake peddle when stopping or coming to a slow stop like traffic lights makes sounds take foot off brake stops doing it and the sound is not like a squeak you would get or suspension sound. So I am not sure what this is. Will try handbrake trick shortly. With the creaking sound it is a continues creak not one where stops and starts apply brake happens take foot off stops./ Think If cant solve though this week going into garage as its a odd one I goto say/.
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:27   #18
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

So after doing another test managed to find where this is coming from and if I leave it in 1st gear just running it happens too. Sound is coming from passengers side front wheel. . Could this be beginnings on wheel going or something like drive shaft causing the creaking when coming to slow stop? Even when running about 1MPH or speed that 1st gear runs in the sound is continuous sound. So any ideas bearing, drive shaft, How can I check this ?

Can I jack car up take wheel off start up and pop in first gear so it is running and await for sound get out and inspect?

Last edited by DaCrazyOne; 22nd February 2016 at 21:37.
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:38   #19
Clivvy

yeah you can just ensure both wheels are off the ground though you may find with both wheels off the ground and no load on any of the drive components or suspension you might get nothing.

could be drive shaft yes, wheel bearing etc, I suppose if you remove the wheels and get it jacked right up you might get a better view, just ensure its on axel stands and put the wheels under there as well to be safe...
Old 24th February 2016, 20:10   #20
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Looks like a job for the weekend then as am going to be changing and upgrading brakes, disc and pads to something different as these I just put in are really bad and already ware marks in them so taking back and going elsewhere. So new brake pads disc and brake feeds going in and then time to inspect front is saying and see what going on with it if will make noise without any load on em.