Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 3rd May 2016, 08:32   #1
Adam32
L-plater

Adam32 is on a distinguished road
Default front cross member bent

I had a deer run out in the road the other day and it smashed the bumper, radiator and completely bent the front cross member.

I think the cross member is beyond repair as it seems to have folded up like paper and has a split in it. As the radiator mounts on this, I can't fit another radiator, so must replace the cross member first.

Problem is I don't have a welder, so was thinking of riveting one on. The existing one seems to be welded, does anyone have a guide on how to remove it? The local scrappy to me has a Saxo so I could take the cross member off that, but how do I get it off cleanly? Whats involved to get it off? Any way to do it without power tools as I don't have a cordless grinder and the scrappy won't get involved taking bits of cars.

Alternatively if anyone knows of anybody who could come and sort this for me on my drive, without costing a fortune - it would save me a lot of hassle. The vehicle is based in Oxford at the moment.
Adam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:02   #2
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Get a pic up mate,the cross member needs to be cut out & a new one welded in,you can't rivet it in.Unless your getting confused with the slam panel which bolts on.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:03   #3
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

needs welding won't be safe if you rivet it. you aren't going to get it done without an angle grinder and a welder really..
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:08   #4
Adam32
L-plater

Adam32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Get a pic up mate,the cross member needs to be cut out & a new one welded in,you can't rivet it in.Unless your getting confused with the slam panel which bolts on.
It's the piece that the radiator sits on. It does not look like it's crucial to safety. In any case, even if it needs welding, I need to be able to patch things up enough to drive it to someone who can weld it. Surely rivets would be okay for this?
Adam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:35   #5
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

No they would not,get a mobile welder to come to you.You have a front end smash and rivets won't save you.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 13:19   #6
Stevos106

Car(s): Mk2 Mazda 3 MPs,106 gti, Kawasaki Z1000
Stevos106 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the front cross member is spot welded on. You can get a drill bit to remove spot welds then it's a case of using a chisel to tease it off. You will need a welder as said above to make it safe although they are made of very thin steel so aren't safe cars anyway.
Stevos106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 15:39   #7
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

I can see what you're saying about fixing temporarily and I guess that would be ok for a short journey to a welder but please don't leave it bodged with rivets get it sorted properly
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote