Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 19th November 2006, 14:22   #1
S34MER
East Midlands
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Skoda Fabia VRS
iTrader Score: 18 (100%)
S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!
Default Cam(s) Thread

Right then guys and girls, im looking to make this a sticky thread (hopefully) with your support, as there seem to be loads and loads of cam threads popping up every week, and the same questions are being answered time and time again! so if all the cam geeks out there would car to add anything to the thread please do. Im looking to get FAQ's and answers, and any info that you deem relevant about cam(s)

As im not that hot on cams, the way they work or the size of cam needed for certain requirements, i.e. if i wanted to get noticable gains from my car, but still wanted to use it as a daily drive, what sort of cam shold i be looking at getting!

now i found THIS WEBSITE which has a lot of helpful info on it, and also helps to explain how they work!

Feel free to add anything you deem appropriate (please no spamming)

thanks again

Oli

Turbo Diesel is where the future lies

Bow to the VRS
S34MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 14:47   #2
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

cam lift - this is given in mm (milimeters), this states buy how many milimeters the cam will open the valve.
cam duration - this is a rough figure of the number of degress the crank turns between teh valve opening and closing.
note: most cams are not teh duration they are advertised as e.g. piper 285s for the vts is actuallky about 260 degress.
you can also go on to look at lift at TDC and at other points in a revolution of the crank.

as i dont have any experiance with fitting cams or having cams in a vtr i can only relly comment on the 16v.

tbh, the next cams up from stabndard (e.g. piper 270s) arent really worth it.
you would be better off going for the next step up (kent pt51, piper 285, catcams 708), all these will give you good power gains when mapped and can be timed to give you a good idle even when unmapped.

other things to change when camming your car would be , cambelt, camshaft oil seals, and depending on mileage water pump and pulleys.
i also changed my head gasket before it went to be mapped as i wanted everything to be perfect so that the cam timing didnt need to be disturbed once set correctly.

when choosing a cam you want to leave about 1.5mm valve to piston clearance, you never know what could happen

lift on standard cam is 8.49mm and has valve clearance of 3.01mm, so you can work it out from there (although this would need to be worked out from lift at TDC). if you were wanting cams with more lift you would either need your pistons rebated or some forged pistons. you would also need to consider throttle bodies as cams with that much lift would be being restricted by the standard inlet.

any more questions feel free to ask

oh, and running in: start the engine check it aint guna bend any valves then turn it off. now check teh tension of teh belt. if its ok start it back up and hold the revs up for a few mins. now it will be ready to go for a nice leasurly drive

Last edited by williamsvts; 19th November 2006 at 15:04.
williamsvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 15:08   #3
S34MER
East Midlands

S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!

I have also decided to add the link from Simo's 'How To' section for instructions on FITTING UPRATED CAMS

Bow to the VRS
Old 19th November 2006, 15:11   #4
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

it hasnt been mentioned in that 'how to' that you need to tension the cam ladder bolts to 8NM
Old 20th November 2006, 08:03   #5
S34MER
East Midlands

Have also found a website, which has some FAQ's on cams.....

CLICK>> FAQ's on cams <<CLICK

Bow to the VRS
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:08   #6
S34MER
East Midlands

another helpful site HERE thanks to Piper

Bow to the VRS
Old 29th November 2006, 17:49   #7
stiffler69
Saxperience Post Whore

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!

Heres a quick question i have installed the piper 285 cam to my vtr am i going to struggle at mot time for emissions reason i ask is it states that maybe it will be a problem on the gmc website thanks.
stiffler69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 20:01   #8
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

no you wont
bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bullit For This Useful Post:
Old 30th November 2006, 10:14   #9
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

depends how its mapped.
Old 24th October 2007, 23:48   #10
evans1089
Saxperience Post Whore
Content ContributorEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Ibiza Cupra 204bhp
iTrader Score: 28 (100%)
evans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud ofevans1089 has much to be proud of

is it worth doing to a 1.4i?
evans1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 03:25   #11
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

not imo.
Old 26th October 2007, 19:34   #12
dan-iow
Infrequent Poster

dan-iow is on a distinguished road

hi guys, did post this else where but didnt realise there is a cam section

basically i have a 106 gti and would like to cam it. what cams could i run without having the car mapped, this is due to me living on the isle of wight and not having anyone to do the map.

once iv fitted the cams how do i go about setting the timing up on the adjustable pulleys to get it to run correctly?

what sort of gains would i be looking at on a gti with usal mods... forced induction, decat, exhaust, ported and polished tb, bareing in mind i will be running them without the remap... for the time being anyway

thanxs
dan-iow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 15:36   #13
dan-iow
Infrequent Poster

dan-iow is on a distinguished road

i was only talking about the induction type, as in a bmc.
dan-iow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 18:34   #14
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-iow View Post
i was only talking about the induction type, as in a bmc.
we know you were. excuse the children. tbh mate you want a map to set the corect fueling etc. if your not gonna map it i wouldnt bother putting them in
Old 17th January 2008, 21:46   #15
DavidKent
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): A van...
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
DavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant future

Good Thread...
So what would i gain by fitting my Kent PT40's then?
Got some here, But What else would i need?
I have the Cams and Pulley already...
Would Performance change?
Would I just need to Change the Timing to make it idle right, don't tend to get the general Gist?
Cheers
Old 17th January 2008, 21:49   #16
DavidKent
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): A van...
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
DavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant future

Oh yeah, Also, Would it make a difference being on an older engine? 90BHP, as opposed to the 98?
Whats the actual Difference between the 90 and 98's to make the power difference?
David
Old 17th January 2008, 21:57   #17
BENSAX3
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): under age
BENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant future

you could get it to run but would need to be mapped ideally
Old 20th January 2008, 14:52   #18
piggy123
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 XSi 1360cc
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
piggy123 is a name known to allpiggy123 is a name known to allpiggy123 is a name known to allpiggy123 is a name known to allpiggy123 is a name known to allpiggy123 is a name known to all

imho i think that camming a 1.4 is fine but it has to be complemented by exhaust decat mani induction kit etc.
piggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 19:36   #19
jono41

jono41 is on a distinguished road

i live in brum and i was wondering where can i go to get 708cams, wid map, oil pressure regulater and to get the head gas flowed
jono41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 19:57   #20
RCD-Performance
Established Member

RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!RCD-Performance is a great team player!

We can supply and fit 708's, and also produce the predator ECU, which can be fitted and mapped to suit.

PS> There is an error on this thread, you DO NOT idle the cams to bed them in, each manufacturer has there specific ways. for instance PH3's are 20min @ 2250 RPM.
RCD-Performance is offline   Reply With Quote