Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 22nd April 2007, 18:50   #1
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!
Default How-to-Guide: Building a false floor with amp window & neon

Firstly, why build a false floor?

A false floor allows you to have a sub and amp in your boot, but still making your boot a practical storage facility.... i have also made mine with several compartments allowing me to store away any spare tools (jump leads, wheel bolt wrench etc.)

Wiring the neon:
This guide assumes you have already wired up your sub and amp...
In order to wire up a neon in your boot you can simply attach it to the positive and negative feeds of your amp... and i have wired in a switch that sits in the corner of the boot... and we will see how it is attached to the false floor later on...

I bought a pair of footwell neons from 'neon-nites' the ebay shop.. but only wired in one bulb....

Here is a quick guide to making a false floor, with amp window and neon:

Take your standard boot carpet out... lay it onto a sheet of mdf, draw around it and use it as a template for your boot... then decide how much you wish to raise your false floor by (has to be atleast the height of your amp) you need to buy some planks the same height as this, or as i did two smaller height planks... I screwed the two planks together to get the desired height...

Then rest your sub box on top of your mdf board, and draw around it, you will need to cut out this area... do the same for your amp if you wish to have an amp window...

Then drill through the mdf board in lines, and screw planks of the desired height wood to the false floor (represented by the red lines on the diagram above)...

It should look something like this:

Don't forget to cut a small notch out on the front middle to you can get your hand underneath it incase you ever need to remove it...
Then you need to offer up the false floor into your boot... i guarantee you it won't fit first time... as the boot gets narrower the higher you get, as you have raised the floor you will therefore have to trim the mdf board, don't forget to do it in small bits.. as you can always take more wood off, but you can't really put it back on!... You should have a small gap around the edge to allow for carpet..

Once you are satisfied with the fit of your false floor you can carpet it, or finish it in several ways.. i bought some bass box audio carpet from ebay - it was about £7 and was plenty to do the whole false floor...
Trim the carpet out leaving an overlap and simply fold the carpet underneath the floor and tac it down - or you could probably use a staple gun.. work slowly making sure you pull the carpet tight as you go, otherwise you will get saggy bits!.. a fabric glue could also be applied if you wanted the carpet to be securely fastened in place... i also ducktaped the edges down around my amp window just to make sure it was well stuck down...

In order to secure an acrylic amp window, i used mirror fasteners, screwed to the underside of the false floor...

You can also see in the above picture the plumbing clips that i have used to secure the neon to the bottom of the floor to ensure it reflects evenly over the surface of the amp...

Think that has covered everything!

If you have any other further questions, please fire away!

Alex

EDIT: I recently retrimmed my false floor and sub box in faux leather, just to give you a few ideas:

Last edited by furioAL; 13th June 2007 at 00:36.
furioAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to furioAL For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:54   #2
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

nice al

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:55   #3
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

good guide mate
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:56   #4
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!

I have had loads of pm's over the times asking for pictures of various bits, and asking how i did it... so thought id whip out my false floor today and finally take some pictures
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:59   #5
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

fancy doing me 1 mate

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:03   #6
Wayne
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Icelandtic Grey Citroen Saxo VTS 53 Turbo
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!

good guide mate

Wayne's Turbo S: In Progress. Powered By AS Developments.Signature edited to comply with forum rules: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:08   #7
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore
East Anglia Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. Mk2 Posi Furio 2. Fiesta Zetec S
iTrader Score: 34 (100%)
Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!

your guides are top notch!
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:08   #8
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesslevtr View Post
fancy doing me 1 mate
I think it would be an absolute biatch to post.... unless you fancied a road trip to Reading? but i know what you think of us southerners

Alex
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:21   #9
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioAL View Post
I think it would be an absolute biatch to post.... unless you fancied a road trip to Reading? but i know what you think of us southerners

Alex
how long will it take you todo it

dont want to be down there 2 long

my for sale ad
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:25   #10
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

I made mine in about two hours flat....

You may aswell make yourself one... by the time you drove down here, it would cost as much as you making one... Just follow the guide... they are really simple... just a wooden board with some supports...

Alex
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:27   #11
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioAL View Post
I made mine in about two hours flat....

You may aswell make yourself one... by the time you drove down here, it would cost as much as you making one... Just follow the guide... they are really simple... just a wooden board with some supports...

Alex
i just wanted to come see you

1 day il get round to it (yeah right)

my for sale ad
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:29   #12
Ozzieborne
Regular Poster

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Look 2
Ozzieborne will become famous soon enough

guide is sweet mate, ill be using it
Ozzieborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 20:00   #13
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Paul bud, your better off waiting until im in keele... then it's closer for you to come and visit
Old 22nd April 2007, 21:32   #14
NickB
Established Member
Content ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): none!
NickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the rough

+Rep Al Mate

Moderator Pin this up perhaps?

Well done Al! very clear and a great help extremely easy to understand too

CAR SOLD
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 21:39   #15
rob_s
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): VW CADDY/VX MOKKA
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
rob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team memberrob_s is a well respected team member

like it mate,good gulide!

Mk1 any colour/condition conciderd
rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 22:58   #16
DavidKent
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): A van...
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
DavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant futureDavidKent has a brilliant future

Make me one if you like
Probably wouldn't be too bad to post via courior... maybe.. lol
I'd do it, but DIY isn't something i'm good with!
Thats ready to fit...
Good choice of amp too... i have the same sub too, but different box!
David
DavidKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 10:34   #17
LeviSaxo
Regular Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 2001 Gold VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
LeviSaxo will become famous soon enough

Kool guide mate, i was thinking of doing this but was gona put some comp fans under the floor, because wont the amp roast in that enclosed space?
Old 25th April 2007, 10:57   #18
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

The amp will be fine... it's not a particularly powerful amp, and doesn't actually get very hot... there is a fair bit of clearance underneath my false floor and im sure the amp window allows it to cool slightly...

My amp has been in the false floor for almost 2 years with no problems... you don't need fans unless you are running a high power setup...

Alex
Old 25th April 2007, 11:59   #19
FinchysSaxo
Established Member
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Megane F1 R26 Liquid Yellow
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
FinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really nice

Good guide mate Im guna do one of these in the next half term. In the process of thinking how i could include more things. Got a urge for a fridge lol
FinchysSaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 18:17   #20
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

you can easily just mount a pc fan under the floor if your worried about heat problems, just make sure theres a gap where the air can circulate though

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote