Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2007, 11:53   #1
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Pug 1007 HDi Sport (daily) / Abarth 500
VTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant future
Default The Big INDUCTION Kit Thread - Please read if you need advice on airfilters

Welcome to the Big Induction thread

First off I claim to be no expert but I hope this thread will answer some of the new members questions on ALL things airfilter'y

Why do I need a Airfilter?

It might seem obvious but you need a airfilter to 'Filter' out all the muck in the air otherwise it would enter into your engine and do alot of damage, so straight away you can forget that idea about removing the filter all together to get more air into the engine!

Whats wrong with the one already on the Car?

Nearly all cars barring Super Super cars like Zondas and the like are all built to a budget. Also cars have to have a big enough service gap as to still get done when its needed but not so you feel your getting ripped off by the Main Dealer who says 'Your car needs 3 services a year'.

Low noise levels, good fuel return, performance and emissions also come into the the mix so the 'Factory Airfilter system' has to meet all these required needs without adding too much of a extra cost to the build value and running/servicing cost of the car when you buy it.

Ok, So how can I improve my cars performance?

Right, does a aftermarket airfilter actually improve performance?

The simple answer is Yes, but depending on what one you go for will greatly change how much of a gain you will see!

A performance airfilter is made of higher quality material allowing for better filtration and airflow, the more air the more performace! Factory elements and pattern parts are made of cheaper materials design to do the job like the designers designed the car to perform to a low cost then thrown away, where as aftermarket filters are constructed of better materials and are designed to increase performance, hence being alittle more expensive.

The Golden rule of airfilters regardless of how much you spend is Colder the Better! Cold air is more dense so more air can be forced into the engine to be ignited with more fuel, ergo more performance.

So what one do I buy and what one is Best?

Ok, the easiest way is to work from a budget point of view so we will start with the cheapest and work upwards in terms of money.

The Panel filter

A panel filter is a direct replacement for the cars standard element and is made from the same materials as in open cone filters which offers better filtration and airflow. These are cheap at between £30-£40 depending on brand.
Beacuse they are limited to the restrictive factory airbox you wont see much of a gain if any at all but they do offer a better Filtration than a pattern part if you are looking just to keep the car standard but buy 'Better Quality' items

Panel Filters might slight increase induction noise but not so you would notice

The Open Cone filter

These have been around almost as long as EFi which replaced the Carb in the late 70's and early 80's. They offer a greatly improved sureface area compaired to the panel filter and are open to all atmosphere, so the improvements in airflow over the factory airbox are noticable straight away and will make the car more free reving.

But because of their 'open to atmosphere' design they are subject to 'Heat Soak' where the filter draws in warm air from the engine bay and 'Possibly' losing performance rather than gaining it. This can be 'Slightly' over but not totally over come by using a 'Cold Air Feed' to direct cold air to the filter of using a 'Heat Shiel' these two solutions will 'only work to a point'. A Open cone filter will set you back anywhere between £50-£200 depending on type and brand, gains? Well this is open to debait. Its fair to say a well installed, well located Open filter should give a gain in performance but performance claims by the items producer or supplier should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Open filters should really be seen as a Styling item as much as a performance item. The biggest gain will be in noise.

Open cone

Open cone with Heat Shield

Open filters whether they be Cotton, Foam or Stainless Steel will Greatly increase induction noise, giving a loud roar under hard accelration, like mentioned above, this is one of the main reasons people buy Open filters for pure induction noise.

The Scoop filter

This filter incases the cone filter in a protective case, there by solving the problem of 'Heat Soak' to a point. These are the next step in the link of performance filters as they offer the best of both worlds in ref to Panel filters and Open filters at a good price. Air is forced into the Scoop through the Slam Panel at the front of the car and is feed by forward motion of the car, the filter inside draws in what is requireds when required.

These types of filter will see a better gain over a longer period of use ie long drives compaired to Open filters as the air is always cold, where as with a Open filter the air starts cold but will get warmer as the engine gets warmer so will the induction air. You should see a noticable difference in performance compaired to a Open filter and pick up on the move will be very good as the cold air will be constantly being forced into the scoop by the cars forward motion

A Scoop filter will increase the noise under hard accelration as it is still a Open filter all be it abit smaller and incased in a Plastic or Carbon Fibre Scoop, it will not be as loud as a Open filter for that same reason tho.

Totally Enclosed filter

These filters in 'Theroy' are really the best of the best, as they offer a totally enclosed filter being feed through a direct Cold Air Feed directly into the filter itself. The only problem with these filters is that because of their single entery they can suffer abit unless always being feed or in other words always on the move. So on stop start driving these kinds of filters may be starved of cold air.
These are the most expensive in the list of filters here costing anywhere between £100-£250+ again like the Panel filter there are long debaits as to if they are worth the extra money or not. In theroy like mentioned they do offer the best solution but like most performance items you improve one area and slightly worsen another area.

This filter will give a increase throttle noise under hard accelration probally on par with the Scoop filter as again the casing acts as a sound barrier.

Depending on what brand of filter regardless of type the element or cone will be one of three main materials Cotton, Foam and Stainless Steel. The material slightly effects the noise generated under accelration but on the hole it has not been proven that anyone is better than the other in terms of out right performance as rolling roads do not 100% replicate real road driving conditions. Most people tend to go on trusted brands.

Look out for Leading Brands which have been around for a long time like the ones below:

K&N - Cotton, Green - Cotton, Pipercross - Foam, BMC - Cotton, Quickshift - Stainless Steel

This is only a selection of what is now a huge list of brands making aftermarket filter or induction kits. Cheaper kits can be bought from places from www.eBay.co.uk but there is it is still slightly unclear as to if the filters are as good at filtration as the leading brands mentioned above and there by effecting the life of the engine by allowing more dirt into the engine causing engine wear.

The best advice is to make the choice yourself. If you are happy with spending alot of money on a airfilter because of performance claims or just the name then do so, if you are on a budget and feel the risk is worth taking buying a slightly cheaper unbranded item again do so. There is no right or wrong in terms of what you should or shouldnt buy.

Important notes - Please Read

Its worth pointing out that all gains if any at all depend on far too many variables to be spot on and may vary from application to application. I think its fair to also say No one filter will give you anymore than 4bhp-5bhp tops regardless of brand or type.All the information and views on the items above are my own personal views, many different people will recommend different products due to personal tastes or views. I in no way suggest to anyone 'you should buy one other the other' this is just a collection of information to try and help inform people who are not as informed in the world of airfilters.

On their own any form of Induction kit will totally transform the way your car drives or performs but combined with a decent 4branch manifold and exhaust package you could see a good gain of somewhere between 10bhp-15bhp.

Most people like to say it simply as

Open Filters = Noise
Closed Filters = Performance

and to a point this is very true.

There are so many different brands, designs, types of filter these days it would be almost impossible to list. But I hope this is a step in the right direction to helping people look in the right direction.

Thank you

Last edited by VTS_16v_Boy; 13th June 2007 at 16:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to VTS_16v_Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 12th June 2007, 11:55   #2
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

Pipercross Vipers a sealed induction kit,
actually made a 205 GTi lose BHP when dyno tested.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:08   #3
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

VTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
Pipercross Vipers a sealed induction kit,
actually made a 205 GTi lose BHP when dyno tested.
Yes but the theroy is right. It has been noted that the Pipercross item isnt as good as some of the other leading totally enclosed filters. But I chose to not include brands as much as I could really as it would look like I was directing people towards certain brands.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:26   #4
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JP4urio, 306 DTurbo SportShed
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

Nice guide mate. Should be made a sticky. Id also say though that the std system tubing can be customised to be made less restrictive and that can then work very well with a panel filter.

Also its prob obvious but this is all based around petrol lumps, open cones on the derv saxos are meant to cut 2-3 seconds off the 0-60 time apparently. Still slow but its impressive
Old 12th June 2007, 12:46   #5
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Though I needed a Mod to make a sticky. Is that correct?

I could have gone much more into detail but it would have gone on forever and to be honest without pointing any fingers most newbies not all but most dont use the search button so it would have been pointless typing in any great detail if its just gona be pushed to one side
Old 12th June 2007, 12:48   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Saxo View Post
Also its prob obvious but this is all based around petrol lumps, open cones on the derv saxos are meant to cut 2-3 seconds off the 0-60 time apparently. Still slow but its impressive
apparently correct... when i feel stupid enough to put an open induction filter on my car i will hola back. the dervs are thermally more efficient so the engine bay remains cooler over the equivalent petrol so heat soak is less (although still apparent) of an issue.

chris nice thread... i prefer the boring details so if you get the time add them
Old 12th June 2007, 12:50   #7
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!

TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

I have a K&N sitting alone in a box right now, if you wanted to experiment i could send it your way for a bit. WOuldnt need it back in a hurry
Old 12th June 2007, 13:02   #8
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
I have a K&N sitting alone in a box right now, if you wanted to experiment i could send it your way for a bit. WOuldnt need it back in a hurry
interested man.... very interested... what is it? a 57i? I'm sure we can sort something out!
Old 12th June 2007, 13:06   #9
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!

Aye the original 57I, in good condition its got oily shizzle in the filter, but its at the level thats apparently good for performance i dont think it needs a clean yet. As long as id eventually get it back then you can have it
Old 12th June 2007, 13:09   #10
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Aye the original 57I, in good condition its got oily shizzle in the filter, but its at the level thats apparently good for performance i dont think it needs a clean yet. As long as id eventually get it back then you can have it
of course... I'll even clean it for you x x x
Old 12th June 2007, 13:37   #11
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

sayers Diesel will do a 13 seconds to 60 because of a K&N?
Old 12th June 2007, 13:53   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

good write up although i wouldnt agree with saying that the enclosed type BMC is the best of the best design by a long shot, there isnt a large opening for it and you dont get as much pressure from the design of it, remeber its the air velocity that also increases performance as well as the temperature. Most people locate them on the slam pannel using the OE induction funnel which is alot smaller than the types such as green/raceland and so will not get the same effect as a larger diamiter scoop
Old 12th June 2007, 14:34   #13
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

sayer, we could do a big test. we both do a 0-60 on standard. then we both do a 0-60 with open cones on, and see which out of MK1 and MK2 makes the biggest change in 0-60 times :d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Old 12th June 2007, 14:47   #14
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
sayers Diesel will do a 13 seconds to 60 because of a K&N?
a dude showed me a vid of his 106 1.5D doing 0-60 in just over 10secs.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:50   #15
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

thats impressive!!
Old 12th June 2007, 14:54   #16
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
of course... I'll even clean it for you x x x
If i get my ass in gear and get some FCS tickets sorted ill give it to ya then. If i dont make it, ill send it via private jet
Old 12th June 2007, 15:40   #17
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsafastworld85 View Post
good write up although i wouldnt agree with saying that the enclosed type BMC is the best of the best design by a long shot, there isnt a large opening for it and you dont get as much pressure from the design of it, remeber its the air velocity that also increases performance as well as the temperature. Most people locate them on the slam pannel using the OE induction funnel which is alot smaller than the types such as green/raceland and so will not get the same effect as a larger diamiter scoop

Thanx for the comments, I have amended the section on the Totally enclosed filter to be more on par with the scoop filter, just for you Ry
Old 12th June 2007, 15:42   #18
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTS_16v_Boy View Post
Thanx for the comments, I have amended the section on the Totally enclosed filter to be more on par with the scoop filter, just for you Ry
its just something i thought i should notify you with because trust me i know how arguments start, and you have to be carfeul saying what is best as people are spending money and if they buy something after being told its the best when it isnt as such people get a right arse over it.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:58   #19
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsafastworld85 View Post
its just something i thought i should notify you with because trust me i know how arguments start, and you have to be carfeul saying what is best as people are spending money and if they buy something after being told its the best when it isnt as such people get a right arse over it.

Yep agree thats why I put the bit on the end which says all items may vary performance wise and from car to car - I think Im gona Highlight that in Red or Blue hehehehe
Old 12th June 2007, 20:46   #20
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

sure there is a lad on ssc that did a dyno test and a bmc lost torque al have a hunt for it!
Closed Thread