PDA

View Full Version : which cars came originally with a "XU" engine

jeffchiz
15th September 2010, 17:01
as title says, im just wondering as im looking out for a new project and wouldnt mind fitting the 167bhp XU10J4RS engine in to an older pug/cit, but it would only be worthwhile if its a straight fit, i dont think the engine is that special that i would make up custom parts to fit it etc

from my memory i can think of the following

-205's??
-309's??
-gti6/rallye
-zx 16v

is this right and are there any more?

AXracing
15th September 2010, 18:37
There not a simple fit in the Saxo though they can be made to. It has been covered countless times on the forum. The 2ltr 16V was fitted to many of the larger models too though dont think its the specific model your looking for.

jeffchiz
15th September 2010, 21:15
yea i know they arent a simple fit in to a saxo that isnt what im looking for...

i want a project that isnt a saxo hence me saying i want to know which cars they bolt straight in to

jeffchiz
15th September 2010, 21:30
basically im just looking for a list of cars which the gti6/rallye 167bhp engine will bolt in to, which doesnt come with it as standard

Quick
15th September 2010, 22:28
405?
Bx?

jeffchiz
15th September 2010, 22:52
405?
Bx?

are they guess's?

im sure your right though, i need to make my mind up which one i wanna use lol i like the idea of a 309

AXracing
15th September 2010, 23:00
Ah sorry I read the question wrong my bad. The 405 and BX defiantly came with the XU. How about a Visa or even one of the small vans. Both will fit it in quite nicely. A lot of none PSA cars come with PSA diesel in that many where XU based.

jeffchiz
15th September 2010, 23:11
Ah sorry I read the question wrong my bad. The 405 and BX defiantly came with the XU. How about a Visa or even one of the small vans. Both will fit it in quite nicely. A lot of none PSA cars come with PSA diesel in that many where XU based.

oh right i thought you were just being a bit arsey lol

i know for certain they go in to 205's, 306's, 309's, 405's zx's, bx's

but for example with the 306 only the gti6/rallye models will fit the xu engines, iirc all the others have TU based engines, so i dont wanna buy a lower engined 309 for example and then find out the xu engine wont go in to lol

but that is an extream example obviously i would check first weather the engine would fit im not that much of a tit, but i dont wanna waste time looking at cars which wont take the engine lol

Quick
16th September 2010, 09:13
309 Gti would be my choice!

KamRacing
16th September 2010, 09:13
The engines will fit into all the shells mentioned, even lower model ones, so you can fit an XU into a tu engined car. You just need to get the right mounts and gear linkage parts.

vtcarl
16th September 2010, 09:53
Got the bug after looking at my project? Look on piston heads. I'm sure there is another ZX 16v on there, it was like the one I have at the mo.

KamRacing
16th September 2010, 10:38
certainly do not bother with a gti-6 gearbox though as its frustrating to live with in a 205, or ZX. Carparks are laughable. Get a 405 Mi16. Reasonably rare, usually you can find one for pennies with a missing engine (stolen for a 205), Its a light car for its size and has very good handling..

swampy
16th September 2010, 11:07
oh right i thought you were just being a bit arsey lol

i know for certain they go in to 205's, 306's, 309's, 405's zx's, bx's

but for example with the 306 only the gti6/rallye models will fit the xu engines, iirc all the others have TU based engines, so i dont wanna buy a lower engined 309 for example and then find out the xu engine wont go in to lol

but that is an extream example obviously i would check first weather the engine would fit im not that much of a tit, but i dont wanna waste time looking at cars which wont take the engine lol

erm alot of other 306 use the xu lump
xsi and s16
unless youtr putting it in to something other than a 306 you may as well just get a ralley or gti6 save the hassle

chinkostu
16th September 2010, 11:21
The rents have a 1.8 peccy automatic 306 which is an xu afaik!

KamRacing
16th September 2010, 11:25
My racecar engine is from the 306 XSI, 1.8 16v XU lump...

jeffchiz
16th September 2010, 11:30
309 Gti would be my choice!

good choice ;)

The engines will fit into all the shells mentioned, even lower model ones, so you can fit an XU into a tu engined car. You just need to get the right mounts and gear linkage parts.

are these mounts and linkages widely available, or is it a custom jobby?

Got the bug after looking at my project? Look on piston heads. I'm sure there is another ZX 16v on there, it was like the one I have at the mo.

yea :oops: lol i'll have a nother look at the zx 16v but i seam to have my heart set on a 309 gti in red lol

certainly do not bother with a gti-6 gearbox though as its frustrating to live with in a 205, or ZX. Carparks are laughable. Get a 405 Mi16. Reasonably rare, usually you can find one for pennies with a missing engine (stolen for a 205), Its a light car for its size and has very good handling..

ill keep the old 405 in mind, but its a bit bigger than i wanted but im not ruling anything out :y:

erm alot of other 306 use the xu lump
xsi and s16
unless youtr putting it in to something other than a 306 you may as well just get a ralley or gti6 save the hassle

and nah i dont want a 306, not classic enough lol

jeffchiz
16th September 2010, 11:32
The rents have a 1.8 peccy automatic 306 which is an xu afaik!

My racecar engine is from the 306 XSI, 1.8 16v XU lump...

cool so ive came to the conclusion more 306's rather than the gt6/rallye came with the xu engine lol

KamRacing
16th September 2010, 11:37
good choice ;)

are these mounts and linkages widely available, or is it a custom jobby?

yea :oops: lol i'll have a nother look at the zx 16v but i seam to have my heart set on a 309 gti in red lol

ill keep the old 405 in mind, but its a bit bigger than i wanted but im not ruling anything out :y:

and nah i dont want a 306, not classic enough lol

The top engine mount and the gearbox mount onto the chassis is the same. The subframe will be able to take the XU mount underneath, but you may find the bracket is the same too. I have never compared...
The ZX is a bit of a love it or hate it car. Certainly I didnt like the Darth Vader styled dash. The 309 is a very nice car to drive. It has a very good weight distribution front to rear so handles very nicely.

axsaxoman
16th September 2010, 11:58
XU engine in all its forms have been fitted to all citroen /pug cars + vans since 1985 onwards ,so if its a 2.0 litre something its an xu derivative .
,but if its not going in a cit /pug --then it is certainly not my choice of a 2.0 litre engine --it is crap when compared other makers units --expect in the diesel vesions --then its as good if not better than most

jeffchiz
16th September 2010, 12:13
XU engine in all its forms have been fitted to all citroen /pug cars + vans since 1985 onwards ,so if its a 2.0 litre something its an xu derivative .
,but if its not going in a cit /pug --then it is certainly not my choice of a 2.0 litre engine --it is crap when compared other makers units --expect in the diesel vesions --then its as good if not better than most

its going to go in to a peugeot, its only going to be a cheap(ish) project to do while im at uni so i dont need the "best", its just gonna be a cheap thrill basically, rebuilt standard engine, suspension and brake upgrades, most probably stripped with two buckets and half a cage, im gonna be doing all the work myself so isnt gonna cost a lot

axsaxoman
16th September 2010, 12:48
then you must go for an old type engine + ecu ,as later types will be fly by wire throttle +all sorts of other complications ,unless you are willing to fit stand alone ecu

jeffchiz
16th September 2010, 13:24
then you must go for an old type engine + ecu ,as later types will be fly by wire throttle +all sorts of other complications ,unless you are willing to fit stand alone ecu

which cars come with the fly by wire throttle? im also looking at the xsara vts engine, this doesnt use one does it?
heres a pic of a vts engine in a 309
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/White%20309%20Gti/100_5157.jpg

been doing a bit of research on fitting the vts engine, and got a list part from other cars that you use to get it working properly ie
-306 rallye aux belt set up to get rid of air con,
-405 oil temp sensor so dash reads temp properly,
-306 TD starter motor (not really sure why lol),
-also for some reason the guy used a bx 16v clutch kit with a vts box with the 309 gti diff (to use standard length shafts) and then used a bx clutch release arm so he had correct clutch actuation for the bx clutch
-re-angled exhaust manifold
-loom can be sent off to be made plug and play
-and finally changed the union in the top of the fuel filter to a 10mm one to match up with the vts fuel rail

better start doing some research on the gti6 engine

also does the 206gti180 have a xu engine? but im guessing that will have a fly by wire throttle

AXracing
16th September 2010, 17:57
The 180 is the EW engine. Its not related to the XU engine though is similar size so people have fitted them in there place but itys quite a bit of work. I have seen a few fitted to 205s on throttle bodies and stand alone management.

swampy
16th September 2010, 20:18
xsara vts engine is the same as the gti6 engne
just has a different gear box on the end

as said the 206 gti is an ew engine and a rght pain to wire in due to the multiplex wiring